What's new

Back to block system for MK11

Should the next Mortal Kombat use a back to block system?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I see. I don't remember too much about MK9 since I didn't get into it too much. I didn't realize the game didnt have many true high/low characters.

The only thing I really remember from that game is the kabals lol.
Yeah. I kan't even think of a character that got a full kombo off their 50/50. A lot of 50/50s in MK9 were reactable too. Like Kabal's specials... You block low for the Buzzsaw, and react to the overhead Tornado Slam... The good thing was that if you weren't on point you kould still get opened up by these things and they didn't go into a full kombo. Those are my favorite kind of 50/50s....

Colares

Noob
I meant 2D, even though I probably should have specified.
BR is mostly 2D some few attacks uses the 3D plane to dodge briefly. Sidestepping in a match will mostly position yourself in relation to the stage.

If you look at Tekken it has only high/low but no cross ups but it is far from shallow because the depth isn't there but on other aspects like ranges and the frame data even the axis is important. This button vs hold back giving or taking depth isn't real but it is just one more mechanic that need to work with and removing the button from MK would drive it too far away from the game identity. So removing something that is a huge staple and chaped the overall design in the series and for certain is not unfixable to this problem/aspect is short sighted and lazy.

MKX main problems are characters being able to go to overheads/highs/mid/lows starters with great reward making the default standing block(for MK) not so default which pushes the offense too far to the famous unreactable 50/50 because neither choice has a bigger negative implication for the attacker. Plus almost all defensive mechanics either cost meter or are able to be worked around like armor on wake up or delayed wake ups. Most games with crazy offense have plenty of cheap universal/system defensive mechanics to keep it balanced between offense and defense. For example in SG you can have any move as an assist but you can't do a high low unblockable if they hit at the same time but you can do a hard to block high low depending on which one will hit first so you don't make it impossible for the defense but also not useless to the offense.
TL;DR: FG's are about options and in MKX it is heavly skewed for the offense making it almost as if playing MK9 as a low tier vs Kitana spamming instant air fans.

UGL Preon

The Casual God
Well it'll be absolute carnage with strings hitting low, overhead, overhead, into teleports that launch and do REAL damage. Especially if the character has Tanya/takeda teleport cancels.

In sure the game would have to be balanced around the new block system but then it's not really MK.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Yeah. I kan't even think of a character that got a full kombo off their 50/50.
Scorpion might've been the only one. And that was fine because every character could max-punish each of those options.

Other than that, it was something like Kabal's as you mentioned. And I really can't think of other examples like his. Which is good.

When-to-block game.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I did not realize TYM was such an exclusive club. If you have sufficient grounds to get the thread closed, then by all means. I didn't realize my presence here "polluted" this forum. It may seem cheesy but, I was always taught that there's no such thing as a stupid question. Nor did I realize that this forum was a virtual gated community. I guess I'll have to warn the people I play INJ and MK with that there's a small group of people that won't take kindly to "our type" on this forum. I apologize for every moment you spent slumming it in this thread.

In the unlikely event that you do reply, I'd be interested to know what you consider a "quality" discussion, and why this thread isn't one. And "because no one gains anything," isn't a valid reason. Because I can easily find something that imo is of value in this thread.
It isn't a stupid question when asked once. However, this very question has been brought up many, many times throughout TYMs history and prior. Every single thread looks identical to this one. You know why? Because no one has anything new to add to the discussion. Mortal Kombat has a block button system. That is not changing, per developers.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Also, i don't think i want air escape Injustice 2 thing in MK games, ppl already have breakers and they use it mostly all the time just by intuition, it would make rewards frustrating and the combo system based around guessing which i honestly don't like, just look at game like KI or DOA, which pretty much work similar to I2 in this aspect.

Just as i hated the fact that breakers were attached to stamina, in the beginning of the game i didn't care as much because it only affect the player who breaks, but then both players started to be affected by it and it was hella annoying, i seriously don't want be penalized for playing correct again, that was dumb NRS lol.

In sum, keep what makes Injustice, injustice and keep what makes MK MK, when both mix we end up having some serious hybrid shit that down the line doesn't really become that funny, i like alot for the fact that I2 didn't brought up anything from MKX at all gameplay way, we can't even compare the gear system to the variation system.

There is like a lot of what NRS can do for the next MK here is some good ideas:

a) Get rid of the run and the breaker system being binded to the stamina bullshit (seriously, no)
b) revert playstyle more to like MK9 instead of the 50-50 fest of MKX
c) introduce Roundhouses (command = U+4)
d) Keep the game clean, no wonky jump attack hitbox and bullshits
e) No more spoiled ranged strings that covers so much space its not even funny.
f) DO NOT ADD Crush counter bullshits in our MK games, we honestly don't need anything similar
g) No more variation system (It was a good experience in MKX but i don't feel like repeating this again, it limited some of us to certain characters and variations and added a lot of variables to the game, honestly hope this never returns, just imagine if we could replace every extra variation for actual MK characters it would be way more fun tho lmao.)

omooba

fear the moobs
in injustice 2 whiff punishes happen all the time cus so many people have godlike walk speeds and most of the time they're just trying to block but in mk is someone walks back and whiff punishes you, you know they called it out so yeah i vote keep the back blocking

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Assuming the OP isn't a troll/hidey, I don't understand why people are saying this a dumb thread. A lot of thought has clearly gone into it.

What is dumb however is posting false narratives about other games to attempt to conveniently engineer games into what they want them to be.

Regardless, no matter what personal distastes people have, MK11 is guaranteed to have a block button.

Justfitz

Noob
Assuming the OP isn't a troll/hidey, I don't understand why people are saying this a dumb thread. A lot of thought has clearly gone into it.

What is dumb however is posting false narratives about other games to attempt to conveniently engineer games into what they want them to be.

Regardless, no matter what personal distastes people have, MK11 is guaranteed to have a block button.
You have my attention. To what false narratives are you referring?

Justfitz

Noob
It isn't a stupid question when asked once. However, this very question has been brought up many, many times throughout TYMs history and prior. Every single thread looks identical to this one. You know why? Because no one has anything new to add to the discussion. Mortal Kombat has a block button system. That is not changing, per developers.
My apologies, I wasn't aware of this. That was my mistake, and I'll try to be more careful in the future.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
You have my attention. To what false narratives are you referring?
For the most part, this:
In INJ2 it seems like there are only a small handful of characters that have a "true" high/low 50/50 game, and in many of those cases the characters that have them are balanced in other ways to prevent their design from feeling like a complete guessing game. Do you think the next MK should cut back on the high/lows and instead emphasize footsies, setups, and spacing?
I don't see any how of this is respective to whether or not a game uses a dedicated block button or not. There were also examples of the latter part of this happening between setplay oriented characters in MKX anyway.

More of the issue is what kind of regulations are in place for a character's general tools. Despite not having up-front low risk/high reward mixups, Dragon's Fire Liu Kang was offensively miles ahead of any setplay oriented character in MKX history during launch window due to the fact that he could effectively ignore the resources said characters had to play by.

In layman's terms it's not about what the style of offense is but rather how polarizing the offense is overall.

Justfitz

Noob
For the most part, this:

I don't see any how of this is respective to whether or not a game uses a dedicated block button or not. There were also examples of the latter part of this happening between setplay oriented characters in MKX anyway.

More of the issue is what kind of regulations are in place for a character's general tools. Despite not having up-front low risk/high reward mixups, Dragon's Fire Liu Kang was offensively miles ahead of any setplay oriented character in MKX history during launch window due to the fact that he could effectively ignore the resources said characters had to play by.

In layman's terms it's not about what the style of offense is but rather how polarizing the offense is overall.
I definitely should have chosen my wording there more carfully. It was never my intention to question the character balance of either game, or attack certain play styles or character designs. It was something I was trying to avoid. I just dont feel I'm qualified to speak on that stuff. I just more or less wanted to take the pulse of the NRS community to see what kind of changes they'd like to see in the next MK entry, and whether the success and popularity of INJ2 might influence what theyd lIke to see next.. And to some extent this topic has been successful in doing that, even if I didn't always go about it the best way.