What's new

Back to block system for MK11

Should the next Mortal Kombat use a back to block system?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
i know it makes overhead crossup mixups better but even me as batman i dont want jumping over people to be so common because it makes the game look stupid visually. bring back back to tech throws like it used to be

Shaka

Tier Whore.
Because he is the type of person who loses to batman and canary and can't figure out what a cross-up is; a garbage tier human being for short. Tbh anyone who claims B2B or button block is 100% better is just wrong. Each has a unique set of game play effects which can be positive and negative.

NRS has looked at those positives and negatives making two DIFFERENT games on the same engine based around this simple change. What's the point? THE GAMES ARE DIFFERENT! Stop trying to make IJ into MK or vice versa. In reality you are not trying to make things better you want to make them more comfortable for you. Please fuck off to Reddit with thoughts like this.
We were talking about b2b in MK games, why did you bring up Inj cross ups? sigh why do I bother with low levels...

Kunta

Meta-Whore
We were talking about b2b in MK games, why did you bring up Inj cross ups? sigh why do I bother with low levels...
Superiority complex much? B2B in MK would mean MK would have cross ups. The comment at the beginning is a joke making fun of people, like you, who don't take the step to think about the implications of B2B. One of those implications being that B2B games have cross-up mix ups and button block games do not BECAUSE OF THE VERY NATURE OF HOW YOU ARE BLOCKING.

Whoosh. The sound of the joke flying like a jet over your enormously self-inflated head.

Justfitz

Noob
Eh block button is fine for MK.

What I would like to see though is MK adopting some of Injustice's defensive mechanics like air escapes and pushblock.
I thought about this as well. Do you think it would be beneficial to bring these mechanics over to MK? And in doing so, do you think the game should give players access to 4 bars of meter instead of 3? If they kept it a 3 bar system then air escapes would become highly situational, since breakers already cost 2 bars as well. But I absolutely love the idea of push block in MK, and hated that block breakers costed 2 bars in MKX.

Kunta

Meta-Whore
I thought about this as well. Do you think it would be beneficial to bring these mechanics over to MK? And in doing so, do you think the game should give players access to 4 bars of meter instead of 3? If they kept it a 3 bar system then air escapes would become highly situational, since breakers already cost 2 bars as well. But I absolutely love the idea of push block in MK, and hated that block breakers costed 2 bars in MKX.
You honestly need to stop playing game developer and start hitting the lab. A quick view of your post history displays your complete ignorance toward NRS games. I don't have a problem with you having question or lacking skill but damn if you're having trouble blocking then inputting f# then you have no place making design suggestions.

Redk9

Noob
I'd much rather that god awful throw system be fixed first. Why do I have to guess which throw you did after already making the read you were going to throw me in the first place?

Shaka

Tier Whore.
Superiority complex much? B2B in MK would mean MK would have cross ups. The comment at the beginning is a joke making fun of people, like you, who don't take the step to think about the implications of B2B. One of those implications being that B2B games have cross-up mix ups and button block games do not BECAUSE OF THE VERY NATURE OF HOW YOU ARE BLOCKING.

Whoosh. The sound of the joke flying like a jet over your enormously self-inflated head.
i'm done arguing with low levels.

Justfitz

Noob
You honestly need to stop playing game developer and start hitting the lab. A quick view of your post history displays your complete ignorance toward NRS games. I don't have a problem with you having question or lacking skill but damn if you're having trouble blocking then inputting f# then you have no place making design suggestions.
Wow, ok. Do you play on an arcade stick as well? Otherwise you have no clue as to the issues that are had for players that do. And what the hell does my post history have to do with the topic?

Justfitz

Noob
I also like to be able to block without getting too far from my opponent or an strategic position and a huge advantage of the block button is that punishers after blocking come smoother while in Injustice even after the tweaks there are still some problems with inputs after holding down or back to block.
Yea that's why I proposed a proximity block system, so it it retains the block button "feel" while giving the benefits of b2b.

Furthermore, it's nice to know I'm not the only one that has the occasional input error in INJ.

Kunta

Meta-Whore
Wow, ok. Do you play on an arcade stick as well? Otherwise you have no clue as to the issues that are had for players that do. And what the hell does my post history have to do with the topic?
No because it's an NRS game and optimized for pad. But I have friends who use stick and had similar problems but played enough to get through them; hell I even know someone who uses pad, except to jump they use stick and still no problems. Your post history just shows that you complain about the game and demand changes when you can't even execute it at the highest level. I don't make suggestions on changes, even to my main character, because it is not my place and you should follow suit. Your post just pollute the forum and lead to overall negative experiences. I suggest you reallocate the time you spend complaining on either switching to pad or learning how to mechanically play the game.

Justfitz

Noob
No because it's an NRS game and optimized for pad. But I have friends who use stick and had similar problems but played enough to get through them; hell I even know someone who uses pad, except to jump they use stick and still no problems. Your post history just shows that you complain about the game and demand changes when you can't even execute it at the highest level. I don't make suggestions on changes, even to my main character, because it is not my place and you should follow suit. Your post just pollute the forum and lead to overall negative experiences. I suggest you reallocate the time you spend complaining on either switching to pad or learning how to mechanically play the game.
I did work through it. It's called alt controls, and it's functional, but I wouldn't call it ideal. I'm aware that I'm not pro level, I'm certainly a casual player. But even then you've sort of failed to counter anything I've said in a rational and logical manner. By your logic, only the top 8 players should have a voice for the game so many of us love. A simple "git gud" doesn't do anything for anyone, and doesn't help make the game better. I love NRS games, but I absolutely refuse to become a blind fanboy or an apologist of any kind. If I loved everything about a game except for ONE SMALL TINY THING, then I'm going to do a bit of research to see if the issue is widespread or if people feel the same way, and after that you can be damn sure I'm going to voice my opinion about the thing I have problems with. ESPECIALLY when they are related to the controls, and ESPECIALLY when the issue appears to be widespread. If I'm not mistaken NRS has been working on the input problems since launch, and if nobody spoke up then it may have never happened.

This thread was more of a way to gather some general feelings about the b2b system in NRS games, especially as it relates to MK. If people in the NRS community liked the idea then we could have tweeted NRS about it, and let then make the final call.

Honestly though, most of this should go without saying. Plus, I kind of have a feeling this would be a very different discussion if I was a top player or part of the dev team. Why else would you check my post history? X'D. Others have firmly disagreed with my proposal and that's totally cool, but no one else seems to be on your level of butt hurt'ness about it.

Needless to say, I wouldn't care if you're sonicfox or ed boon himself, your attitude is toxic.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Not for back for block for MK. The Block button rules for MK. Always has been and hopefully always will be. Keep back for block for Injustice, block button for MK. I believe Ed has also said this when asked about block button for Injustice.

Kunta

Meta-Whore
I did work through it. It's called alt controls, and it's functional, but I wouldn't call it ideal. I'm aware that I'm not pro level, I'm certainly a casual player. But even then you've sort of failed to counter anything I've said in a rational and logical manner. By your logic, only the top 8 players should have a voice for the game so many of us love. A simple "git gud" doesn't do anything for anyone, and doesn't help make the game better. I love NRS games, but I absolutely refuse to become a blind fanboy or an apologist of any kind. If I loved everything about a game except for ONE SMALL TINY THING, then I'm going to do a bit of research to see if the issue is widespread or if people feel the same way, and after that you can be damn sure I'm going to voice my opinion about the thing I have problems with. ESPECIALLY when they are related to the controls, and ESPECIALLY when the issue appears to be widespread. If I'm not mistaken NRS has been working on the input problems since launch, and if nobody spoke up then it may have never happened.

This thread was more of a way to gather some general feelings about the b2b system in NRS games, especially as it relates to MK. If people in the NRS community liked the idea then we could have tweeted NRS about it, and let then make the final call.

Honestly though, most of this should go without saying. Plus, I kind of have a feeling this would be a very different discussion if I was a top player or part of the dev team. Why else would you check my post history? X'D. Others have firmly disagreed with my proposal and that's totally cool, but no one else seems to be on your level of butt hurt'ness about it.

Needless to say, I wouldn't care if you're sonicfox or ed boon himself, your attitude is toxic.
That's a lot of text and I'm not going through it point by point but I read it all and I'll answer. My anger is toward low quality post that are polluting this forum from users who very clearly are, as you called yourself, casual players. You say you do research and expand but unless you sitting on your couch playing SFV is research I hardly see it. I'm all for QUALITY discussion but what you have brought us is a monthly half-ass'd thread where no one gains anything. I'm not an apologist in fact I've been vocal on twitter, facebook, discord, and reddit about dislike of mechanics. I just see TYM as a place for high level discussion and advice for people wanting to bridge the gap between casual and amateur. Your post neither brings about productive advice or discussion. Just as you see something in the game you don't like and say something; I see something in a post and say something. But your thread has died and all my replies do is bump it.

Good night, God bless you, shalom.

Aramonde

Noob
You couldn't have four bars and keep block breakers at two, they would have to be three and at that point BB's would become highly situational only to be used at the end of rounds, you would have to get rid of BB's altogether.

If you keep BB's you dont need air escapes because BB's are much better version of them. BB's cost two bars because they're easy a get out of combo card.

Imo three bars is the best for MK's mechanics and puts an importance on meter management.