What's new

Back to block system for MK11

Should the next Mortal Kombat use a back to block system?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Justfitz

Noob
My apologies if this has already been posted, but would anyone else like to see a switch to a back to block system for the next MK entry?

Its clear to me that the back to block system is something that separates INJ from MK, and I think MK could benefit from using the same kind of system. I realize it would require deep fundamental changes to the balancing, abilities, and animations for the MK roster, but if done properly I feel like it would be the right thing to do for all NRS game. Obviously we want INJ and MK to feel like different games, and not clones of one another with different rosters, but I feel like there are opportunities to differentiate the franchises outside of the block system they both use.

On a side note, if NRS did go this route and make MK a back to block style fighting game, then do you think it would be beneficial to lessen the strength of high/low mixups in MK? In INJ2 it seems like there are only a small handful of characters that have a "true" high/low 50/50 game, and in many of those cases the characters that have them are balanced in other ways to prevent their design from feeling like a complete guessing game. Do you think the next MK should cut back on the high/lows and instead emphasize footsies, setups, and spacing?

I love MK, but after spending a lot of time with INJ2, I just cant help but feel it is a more expertly crafted fighting game. I think there are several reasons for this, but I cant deny that the back to block system is a big reason why INJ feels more fun to play (imo of course). Thoughts?

KCJ506

Noob
The MK series was designed with a block button in mind. Many of the characters have moves that can attack from either the front or the back. Hence why they put in a neutral block button. As opposed to holding the D-Pad in a specific direction. When NRS is developing the individual characters they are consciously aware of this fact and it factors into how they implement each individual character's moveset.

This is specifically why Scorpion was considered such a controversial character when he was added in Injustice 1. Which DID use back to block. His teleport punch move was considered "game-breaking" because it was based on off of the MK engine and NOT the Injustice engine. They eventually patched it so that you could duck under it, but prior to that it was indeed "game-breaking.

Justfitz

Noob
I may be dead wrong but it seems to me that less high/lows and a back to block system almost go hand in hand. The back to block system allows for additional mixup opportunites without the need for a ton of high/lows that the block button doesn't always allow. The ambiguity of the crossover game is something I've really come to like in fighters that use it, and Injustice has shown me how well it can work for an NRS game as well. Hopefully NRS can find a way to appease series fans, while also eliminating a lot of the guess work that can come from high/lows. High/lows on their own aren't inherently stupid imo, but it can make a fighting game feel a bit too linear and uninteresting at times. I am very curious to see how NRS handles it.

Justfitz

Noob
The MK series was designed with a block button in mind. Many of the characters have moves that can attack from either the front or the back. Hence why they put in a neutral block button. As opposed to holding the D-Pad in a specific direction. When NRS is developing the individual characters they are consciously aware of this fact and it factors into how they implement each individual character's moveset.

This is specifically why Scorpion was considered such a controversial character when he was added in Injustice 1. Which DID use back to block. His teleport punch move was considered "game-breaking" because it was based on off of the MK engine and NOT the Injustice engine. They eventually patched it so that you could duck under it, but prior to that it was indeed "game-breaking.
Yea. I understand that line of thinking. That's why I mentioned that it would require a fundamental redesign of many of the abilities in the game. It would definitely be an ambitious and controversial change, that's why I was curious to see how it'd be received by the games community.

Justfitz

Noob
If MK were to introduce a back block system, one way they could differentiate from INJ is by having proximity block. That would make it "feel" more like MK while also introducing the additional mixup opportunities provided by crossovers, while also giving NRS an easy way to get away from high/lows in order to open people up. Putting in proximity block might give us a best of both worlds situation.

Oh, and what would make Sonya so much harder to block than characters like canary, super girl, and brainiac?