What's new

Aug 13, 2011 - CHICAGO HEART TOURNAMENT - MK9, MvC3, SSF4AE, and MORE. - Northbrook, IL

ONLY IF YOU ARE ATTENDING: Do you want MK9 to be $5 or $10 for entry fee?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chicago Heart 3!

This is the first "Chicago Heart" event, so be sure not to miss out!

*This is a Bring Your Own Controller Event (B.Y.O.C)*

First, the details:

GAMES:

The following games will be played at this tournament:

Mortal Kombat 9 - PS3 (ran by Digimonemporer)
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition- 360
Marvel vs Capcom 3 - 360
Arcana Heart 3 - PS3
Blazblue CS2 - PS3/360
Guilty Gear #Accent Core - PS2
Tekken 6 - PS3
Soul Calibur 2 - PS2
Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 - Gamecube
Mystery Tournament - Various
Raffle - Small Basket

Crowne-Plaza Chicago-Northbrooke
2875 N. Milwaukee Ave
Northbrooke, IL 60062
(847) 693 - 6909

VENUE HOURS:

10AM - Midnight

VENUE FEE:

$15 for all day

You can save money on the venue fee, by the following:

- If you bring a TV, then the venue fee will be $10

- If you bring a System + one of the tourney games featured, the venue fee will be $10
- If you bring a TV and a system + one of the tourney games featured, the venue fee will be $5

- You can also bring a megaphone and get an additional $5 off the venue fee! So if you bring a TV, a system, and a working megaphone, you can get in for free!

PLEASE LABEL ALL ITEMS THAT ARE YOURS.

*Obviously, since only Soul Calibur 2 and GGAC are on PS2, only the first 4-5 people bringing a PS2 will get the $5 off. Similarly, only the first 3 people brining a gamecube plus a copy of Naruto GNT:4 will get $5 off. 360s and PS3s plus MvC3/SSFIV/BBCS2/AH3/Tekken6 will get $5 off no matter what, even if I have an excess of them. In addition, if you bring a system but use it for a game not featured in the tournament, then you will NOT get the $5 off. Also, if you bring a TV and a system with one of the games, you will get the $10 off automatically.

*will update this section with MK9 info soon. as of now MK9 is only a side tournament at this event*

MK9 VENUE FEE WAIVER UPDATE 8/12/2011

In case anyone was curious. The venue fee waiver applies to MK9 as well. So that means if you bring in the following you'll only have to pay $5 venue fee:

TV
Console
Mk9
And at least one game of another featured tournament game (if u don't bring in that game...then your venue fee is $10)

Also...

If you bring in ALL THE ABOVE...AND...a megaphone (lord knows I'll need it), YOU GET IN FREE. NO VENUE FEE (you STILL have to pay the tournament fee of $10).

This here is the last update. Hope to see everyone tomorrow. MK9 starts at 2pm, so please plan ahead and be on time. Thanks everyone. :)

TOURNAMENT ENTRY FEE PRICES:

$10 - SSFIV AE, MvC3, AH3, BBCS2, GGAC,T6, Naruto GNT4, Mortal Kombat 9
$5 - Soul Calibur 2 and Mystery tournament

Payout will be 70/20/10 for all the non SFIV/MvC3 tournaments. The payout for those two will be up to the person running the tournament (which in this case is Humbag).

Mortal Kombat 9 will be 70/20/10 payouts

TOURNAMENT GAME SCHEDULE:

11:00AM - SSFIV AE, MvC3
12:00PM - AH3, GG#AC, Naruto:GNT4
3:00PM - T6, Mystery Tournament, MK9 (signups are @ 2pm, tournament starts @ 3pm)
4:00PM - Soul Calibur 2, BBCS2
8:00PM - Raffle

As far as side tourneys are concerned, I'll allow them AFTER the main tournaments are finished. So if the person running SSFIV AE wants to run a team tournament, that's fine as long as it's near the end of the singles tournament. We only have the venue until midnight, meaning at 11:00, it's time to stop and start to clean up. However, if everyone brings all their games and tries to throw side tourneys, there might not be enough time, space, or setups. We have 1 day to run 9 tournaments, and I want to give people plenty of time to play casuals as well.

MK9 TOURNAMENT FORMAT/RULES:

Format - Double Elimination. Winners/Losers = 2/3 Matches. WInners FInals/Losers Finals/Grand Finals = 3/5 matches no exceptions. All rounds for all matches will be 2/3. Default timer. Set your button configuration before you start your tournament match. Remember to set your preset, at the character select screen.

Updated rules for MK9 tournament (8/10/2011):

- MK9 tournament will be $10 entry fee (this is as a request of the [majority of] players participating via polls and post displayed in tournament threads on SRK/TYM/MKU/TRMK)

- Freddy Krueger and Kratos are BANNED (Freddy was JUST released this Tuesday, not enough time to seriously learn the match up. character has tons of bugs and glitches. Kratos is PS3 exclusive character)

- Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain are ALLOWED (it was never stated that they were banned in the OP of this tournament thread. Players have had more than enough time to learn those character match ups)

- DLC UMK3 Cyrax and MK2 Smoke costumes are BANNED (UMK3 Cyrax still had bomb trap. MK2 Smoke still has OTG smoke bomb problems)

- Only Kombat Kode ALLOWED is NO BLOOD at vs. screen (this code is executed by pressing L2 + square at the vs. screen. reason why this code is allowed is because it negates fatality option at the end of the match to make tournaments run faster)

- Street Stage can be mutually agreed on being BANNED by players (some characters gain an advantage on that stage due to cars passing by [randomly] blocking vision of ground based projetiles/traps, low attacks, and oki)

I have one full setup for this side tournament. We can use more. If you have a full PS3 MK9 set up, BRING IT! And please make sure all characters are unlocked and all DLC CHARACTERS are purchased.

AND PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE CURRENT VERSION OF THE GAME (Ver. 1.04).
Tournament Rules/Format (for all non MK games):

Depending on the game depends on the format, obviously.
2D games will be 2/3 rounds. 3D games will be 3/5 rounds.
Games will be 2/3 matches, and losers/winners/grand finals will be 3/5 matches. It is up to the tournament organizer if they want to change this, however. In some cases, losers finals and winners finals may remain 2/3, and grand finals may change to 4/7, for example. The most important thing is to let both players know how many matches they must win to win the set. If it's not been decided beforehand, then it's 2/3 except for winners/losers/grand finals, in which it's 3/5.

Depending on the game also depends on the rules, but for the most part, these games will follow Evo rules. No unlimited characters in BB, etc. If there are any questions about specific game rules, please ask.

RAFFLE (being done by HeartNana from SRK):

Just like at Jan 2010 Frosty Faustings, there will be another raffle. Many items will be given away for free! It requires you to write your name down on a sheet of paper, and then toss it in a basket or bag or something! Many people enjoyed the items they recieved at the last raffle, and because of the positive reaction, I am looking forward to doing it again, FREE OF CHARGE! you just have to have paid the venue fee!

---

Word from HeartNana from SRK (Director of this tournament):

"I know this is 2 weeks after Evo, but I think that it would be a waste if people practiced for Evo and then there weren't any events after that! Let's get a big turnout everyone! If you have any questions, feel free to ask here!"

---

VENUE RULES:

(This is actually important)

-No loitering in the hallways.

This is the main rule. We're gonna have a big venue room, and the hotel staff is nice enough to toss in a smaller ballroom with 20 seats or so in it for people to hang out in. They say that there will also be an outdoor patio nearby with chairs and tables that seats 50 people or so. So even if you're not in the main ballroom, there's a couple places you can hang out, as long as it's NOT the hallways. This is the main important thing, and the staff WILL get on our case about it. Worst case scenario is that if people keep loitering, they're going to shut the event down, so please let's avoid this from happening and use the space provided!

-Don't bring your own food.

There's vending machines, a hotel gift shop, and a hotel restaurant. You can bring food from any of those three places into the ballroom, but aside from that, you can't bring your own food. It's hotel policy, and I apologize for that, but again, hotel rules. I would suggest eating breakfast beforehand or something. The staff will come in and check every once in a while, so if they see you eating, you're going to have to give them your food to throw away or go outside to eat. You can also eat in your own hotel room, obviously.

Shoutouts to Kobayashi (from SRK) for setting up the venue!

Would definitely appreciate and love, to see as MANY TYM members come on out and participate/support.

Hopefully we get a surprise visit from NRS as well. That'd be the fucking best. ^_^

coughcoughandwesomeMKswagtoocoughcough. :p

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I'd like to go but I'm not sure if I can get the time off from work.

Creepy00

Noob
Nice Stuff Digi
Make it heck of a tournament XD
Will there be a chance of a live stream? I would really like to see Sub players

YES!!! Another Chicago tournament! These have been quite hard for me to come by. And it's at the same place that UFGT7 was. Even better! Now I just have to find someone who's going who will loan me a PS3 stick for MK9.

Creepy: Did you not know? SUB ZERO IS BANNED AT ALL MK9 TOURNIES FROM HERE ON OUT! :p J/K ... -__-

lol

I'll definitely try to get this tourney streamed.

Shishi: There should be players there with PS3/MK sticks. But def try to get one to borrow, BEFORE you come to the tournament. :)

I would try to borrow one beforehand, but I know literally no one with a PS3 stick lol. Plus all my friends who play fighting games are on 360. I had some luck at UFGT7 with a player who let me borrow his PS3 stick though (the badass Spider-Man player in MvC3 brightside), so let's hope the same happens in this case. :)

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I've been waiting for an event in Chicago and I'm going to try my hardest to get myself and a friend out there. Hell I might even bring a full setup. I don't think I missed this but feel free to berate my failure to read if I did, but are dualshock 3's allowed or do we need the ps2 wired converters?

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Replied to the SRK thread, but posting here as well. Should be coming to this (I live near it).

Digimon how far are you away from the chicago area? Any chance youll go to come to WNF at GGA? Stream for it might be happening sometime soon. (Check the chicago thread in SRK or here!) Need more MK players there, its a SF fest!

(Same for you 16 bit =P)

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Replied to the SRK thread, but posting here as well. Should be coming to this (I live near it).

Digimon how far are you away from the chicago area? Any chance youll go to come to WNF at GGA? Stream for it might be happening sometime soon. (Check the chicago thread in SRK or here!) Need more MK players there, its a SF fest!

(Same for you 16 bit =P)

I'm 3 hours away. It's too far and on a bad day for me to come regularly but I'll be there for next week's.

It's looking likely I'll make it to this. If I do, I'll bring a Evo monitor and setup.

Glad this thread is generating some hype. Please be sure to support this same thread on the other sites MKU and TRMK in their tournament announcement sections.

Dagger: I live like an hr 30 minz from there. But I don't have a car. So it's really tough for me to get around consistently. =( I've been meaning to come to a GGA tournament for quite a while. But I have no players in WI willing to travel there with a car and passing me by.

I'll be at Chicago Heart for sure.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Is Freddy banned? I think he should be; here is why...

He has major bugs, he randomly goes invincible to some attacks.

If you want an example play Sub-Zero vs Freddy for some matches, you'll see Freddy just become invincible to Ice Clone and Ice Ball for no good reason. It happens quite frequently with several characters. It's not minor and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened frequently in tournament as well.

Regardless if you think he is "OP" or not, he straight up got released in a broken state and needs a patch addressing his glitches.

I have no issues with the other 3 DLC characters being allowed though, Freddy is just the exception in this case.

Updated rules for MK9 tournament:

- MK9 tournament will be $10 entry fee (this is as a request of the [majority of] players participating via polls and post displayed in tournament threads on SRK/TYM/MKU/TRMK)

- Freddy Krueger and Kratos are BANNED (Freddy was JUST released this Tuesday, not enough time to seriously learn the match up. character has tons of bugs and glitches. Kratos is PS3 exclusive character)

- Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain are ALLOWED (it was never stated that they were banned in the OP of this tournament thread. Players have had more than enough time to learn those character match ups)

- DLC UMK3 Cyrax and MK2 Smoke costumes are BANNED (UMK3 Cyrax still had bomb trap. MK2 Smoke still has OTG smoke bomb problems)

- Only Kombat Kode ALLOWED is NO BLOOD at vs. screen (this code is executed by pressing L2 + square at the vs. screen. reason why this code is allowed is because it negates fatality option at the end of the match to make tournaments run faster)

- Street Stage can be mutually agreed on being BANNED by players (some characters gain an advantage on that stage due to cars passing by [randomly] blocking vision of ground based projetiles/traps, low attacks, and oki)

These rules will be reflected in the OP of this thread.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Street isn't that bad. And to all Noob players: avoid his mk2 costume at all cost. Some things don't work with him when he's going old skool. You have been warned. And why isn't zombie mode ok? The character dies after the match is over.

16 bit: Cool. Give my Jax and Quan Chi a few matches with your Kitana when I'm there, ok? BTw, it's SlyCopper23 from the valley stream if you haven't guess it yet.