What's new

Question Ask Skarlet - Skarlet FAQ's

cirkusfreaksho

All in a day's work
has anyone else had skarlets xray glitch on them?? ive used it as an anti air several times but what it does, it hits them and when it gets to the last overhead hit , it doesnt connect and only gives me 5% damage...wtf

Somberness

Lights
has anyone else had skarlets xray glitch on them?? ive used it as an anti air several times but what it does, it hits them and when it gets to the last overhead hit , it doesnt connect and only gives me 5% damage...wtf
If the opponent jumps over you while you do it, the last hit doesn't connect and you only do 5%.

Escrya

Noob
Hey guys, i'm trying to switch my main from Mileena to Skarlet but i'm having some problems with the transition. I'm not quite sure what the problem is but with Mileena I can pressure quite easily with 50/50's off a jump in and poke away with d+4. d+3 e.t.c. Zoning isn't an issue, nor is wake-up or throwing out safe block strings.

But when I try the same thing with Skarlet I just get mauled, I can't seem to mount a safe offense or get away from people, particularly cross ups hurt, seems like the only way I can get out is either teleport or sit there blocking and eat a mix up. It's like I can't get away with the same stuff I can with Mileena, when the characters don't seem too different.

So yeah any advice on how to approach people safely with Skarlet, or put some safe pressure with strings would be awesome!

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Escrya said:
Hey guys, i'm trying to switch my main from Mileena to Skarlet but i'm having some problems with the transition. I'm not quite sure what the problem is but with Mileena I can pressure quite easily with 50/50's off a jump in and poke away with d+4. d+3 e.t.c. Zoning isn't an issue, nor is wake-up or throwing out safe block strings.

But when I try the same thing with Skarlet I just get mauled, I can't seem to mount a safe offense or get away from people, particularly cross ups hurt, seems like the only way I can get out is either teleport or sit there blocking and eat a mix up. It's like I can't get away with the same stuff I can with Mileena, when the characters don't seem too different.

So yeah any advice on how to approach people safely with Skarlet, or put some safe pressure with strings would be awesome!
Skarlet has no Teleport Kick or f+3. She has no u+4 and d+4. She is not able to create the 50/50 mix ups that Mileena is. Skarlet relies on projectiles a lot more than Mileena does. Use dagger cancels and dash forward to force your opponent to react. If opponent jumps, do d+2. If opponent keeps crouching, dash and do f+4,3 which creates enormous pushback on block and allows for more dagger cancels. Unless you are fighting a character like Smoke, however, Skarlet does not need to create much offense. Sit back and keep tossing daggers and pay attention to how your opponent reacts. You may have to check aggressive, dashing players with the slide (d,f+3,4) occasionally which is OK because the move is 100% safe on block. As far as avoiding cross ups is concerned, use the Red Dash (d,f+3) to dash under your opponent. The enhanced version travels faster and has one hit of armor. If you must escape, use the enhanced Red Dash and slide which has very little risk in most situations because of the armor and because of the slide's safety.

I honestly have to mess around with Skarlet's strings. f+4,3 is clearly good, but perhaps f+3,1 has more uses than I think. I have a few ideas. When I test them, you will find all the information in my stuck thread.

As far as avoiding cross ups is concerned, use the Red Dash (d,f+3) to dash under your opponent. The enhanced version travels faster and has one hit of armor. If you must escape, use the enhanced Red Dash and slide which has very little risk in most situations because of the armor and because of the slide's safety.
Wow brilliant tip. Getting crossed up is my worst weakness in this game. I just freeze up and go "ok do your worst, ill be grabbing a drink brb"

I don't get the fascination with f+31, tho, it seems deathly slow to start up to my eyes. I've been starting with 212dagger cancel for quick punishes. 2 has MUCH bigger range than you'd think.

Escrya

Noob
Thanks for the info guys, was certainly an eye opener to how different you have to approach people with Skarlet. She's much more defensive that I first thought; she's not quite a true zoner but not rush down either. After reading m2's advice it seems she fits a more hit and run style. You know, baiting a mistake, getting that quick 35-40 percent combo and then getting back into midscreen to frustrate.

The red dash to get out of cross ups is really nice advice too. I really recommend the f+4,3 and f+4, they're both excellent strings. I do feel the same as Hurling though, there's something about f+3,1. It just feels so sluggish, and those 1,1,1 mashing Scorpion and 2,2,2 mashing subby's will beat it everytime.

Her f+3,3 is pretty good for mix ups, throwing it out a few times and then cancelling it with a red dash then reacting with the overhead or slide based on how they're blocking seems a good way to confuse opponents.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
HurlingDervish said:
I don't get the fascination with f+31, tho, it seems deathly slow to start up to my eyes. I've been starting with 212dagger cancel for quick punishes. 2 has MUCH bigger range than you'd think.
f+3,1 is slow, but it may be Skarlet's only hit-confirmable launcher that hits crouching opponents. You can do f+3,1~d,f+3. If it is blocked, slide. If it hits, do the Up Slash and combo. On block after f+3,1, the slide is only interruptable by X-Rays and quick attacks with armor. I like 2,1,2 for punishing too, but some characters can crouch the first two hits, so I generally stay away from it.

I would train my opponent to block a lot of slides. You can then use the Red Dash, stop, and throw. You can even cross up. You can use f+4~d,f+3 too and slide which is only interruptable by X-Rays and quick attacks with armor. Aside from f+4,3, Skarlet lacks a great string. However, f+4,3 is only two hits, and in this game the motto is the more hits the better because of meter building and hit-confirming.

Somberness

Lights
f+3,1 is slow, but it may be Skarlet's only hit-confirmable launcher that hits crouching opponents. You can do f+3,1~d,f+3. If it is blocked, slide. If it hits, do the Up Slash and combo. On block after f+3,1, the slide is only interruptable by X-Rays and quick attacks with armor. I like 2,1,2 for punishing too, but some characters can crouch the first two hits, so I generally stay away from it.

I would train my opponent to block a lot of slides. You can then use the Red Dash, stop, and throw. You can even cross up. You can use f+4~d,f+3 too and slide which is only interruptable by X-Rays and quick attacks with armor. Aside from f+4,3, Skarlet lacks a great string. However, f+4,3 is only two hits, and in this game the motto is the more hits the better because of meter building and hit-confirming.
Back 1,1 works too but it might lead to less damage, at least it is faster than forward 3. Up 3 is also faster but damage potential I don't know about either. When you are able to dash into it, it should be become more useful as a starter and even in combos. If you are punishing something that has a lot of recovery, you might as well use back 2. I think forward 2,1,2 and then either overhead into combo or slide could be useful. Too bad you won't be able to combo off the low in that situation for much longer. Skarlet really needs frame data. :(

Yea I came to this conclusion shortly after posting that haha. f31 cuts down the room for error if you know that you have the time to use it

cirkusfreaksho

All in a day's work
ive noticed alot of times after i do the f+3,3 string with the 2 lows is blocked...if i do an upslash immediately after, i dont get stuffed. they either block or try to attack and get hit by the upslash..ive only had luck after this particular string..anyone else find anything simillar ??

Currently Im struggling with dagger cancel into dash block on reaction to sldes and teleports. It seems that it takes too long for the block to come out of the cancel Could I be doing something wrong?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
MrDaSchnitzel said:
Currently Im struggling with dagger cancel into dash block on reaction to sldes and teleports. It seems that it takes too long for the block to come out of the cancel Could I be doing something wrong?
You can't block immediately after canceling a dagger. All cancels in the game share this property. Simply perform d+3 (or d+1) and block. Because most teleports and projectiles hit high, they'll whiff if you do d+3 and you'll remain unpunished. Against low projectiles and slides, jump instead.

You can't block immediately after canceling a dagger. All cancels in the game share this property. Simply perform d+3 (or d+1) and block. Because most teleports and projectiles hit high, they'll whiff if you do d+3 and you'll remain unpunished. Against low projectiles and slides, jump instead.
I assume these will also work against a Cage shadow Kick and Jades glow Kick as well?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
MrDaSchnitzel said:
I assume these will also work against a Cage shadow Kick and Jades glow Kick as well?
It works against Jade because d,f+4 hits high. It does not work against Cage because enhanced b,f+4 hits mid, but you can jump and punish it full screen away.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
f31 xx dash can be hitconfirmed to downslash instead of upslash for more damage.