What's new

Ask Raiden Thread

B W1zZ

Noob
I like this thread because it gives me info on how to beat Raiden as well as play him. He is my second character. Can you punish raidens b312 with reptile's elbow dash?

Is it true Raiden has advantage on screen at all times? Somebody posted that in the Reptile Q and A thread. Could really be some good halp.
Actually yes you can, B312 can be interrupted by reptiles elbow dash at any point in between the string because that move has a 5 frame startup, and interrupting requires 6 frame startup or faster. The same applies before the 4 in 334.

As far as advantage on screen at all times, I wouldn't go as far as to say that since Raiden's B312 and 334 are -1 on block...but in reptile's case I can see the logic behind it since :en superman goes through projectiles and theres the threat of teleport, basically making Raiden a threat anywhere on the screen since reptile has to be smart about zoning. The biggest problem Raiden has with reptile is the fact that he can do a fast dash to punish teleport, vicinity blast whiffs on him if cancelled off of a block string/grants a free dash, he can interrupt his B312 and 334 strings with dash, and use dash as a means of escaping crossup pressure. Overall I'd say it's an even matchup.

In that Tier list thread it said that Reptile was a bad matchup for Raiden. So you are saying that it is even? SO MANY CONFLICTING OPINIONS. I wanted to find out how to exploit him but if its just dash then I am disappointed.

B W1zZ

Noob
In that Tier list thread it said that Reptile was a bad matchup for Raiden. So you are saying that it is even? SO MANY CONFLICTING OPINIONS. I wanted to find out how to exploit him but if its just dash then I am disappointed.
Trust me, it's NOT a BAD matchup, theres a difference between competitive and bad. The fact vicinity blast whiffs on reptile and that he can dash his teleport to punish is what I believe led to the idea of it being bad for Raiden. Reptile simply has the tools to compete with him, and a small hitbox lol. Reptile is no worse for Raiden than Kung Lao is. It's a solid 5-5. Raiden gets a free 33% damage combo off of a blocked dash as well.

Don't remind me about 121 shocker into f2 then whatever you said earlier. I can not believe you would disclose that information against Reptile players. Why is he S tier? Is there something I am missing I thought top tier players could easily beat the top tier Raiden players. That's why Raiden never won a major. Don't take that as disrespect I meant none.

B W1zZ

Noob
Don't remind me about 121 shocker into f2 then whatever you said earlier. I can not believe you would disclose that information against Reptile players. Why is he S tier? Is there something I am missing I thought top tier players could easily beat the top tier Raiden players. That's why Raiden never won a major. Don't take that as disrespect I meant none.
I don't mind disclosing any information so long as people learn from it, you say that like it's a bad thing. I don't really like getting into arguments over tier placings either, but I would say Raiden is S tier because he only really has 1 bad matchup, with a lot of even ones, then again I don't really bother with tier lists or placings too much. Winning a major doesn't have to do with the character so much as it has to do with the player.

I wasn't trying to argue just curious about his placing. Who is his only bad matchup? Sonya? I have no clue. I was just kidding around about disclosing information. I play Reptile and happen to play against Raiden a lot. This makes me SO MAD (but not really).

B W1zZ

Noob
I wasn't trying to argue just curious about his placing. Who is his only bad matchup? Sonya? I have no clue. I was just kidding around about disclosing information. I play Reptile and happen to play against Raiden a lot. This makes me SO MAD (but not really).
Yes, Sonya if played correctly (like [MENTION=3679]MortySeinfeld[/MENTION] does). Feel free to ask if you have questions regarding the Raiden/Reptile matchup, the more specific the better.

Ok in the Reptile Q and A thread they said that after raiden teleports he will try to cross up. Should I actually look for the crossup and NJP it. After reading the teleport punish thread though I can see to just do something else like 1 2 2 blah blah right after he teleports. Also why is his superman on block randomly put him spinning in different distances and not just in front like kung laos dive kick.

B W1zZ

Noob
Ok in the Reptile Q and A thread they said that after raiden teleports he will try to cross up. Should I actually look for the crossup and NJP it. After reading the teleport punish thread though I can see to just do something else like 1 2 2 blah blah right after he teleports. Also why is his superman on block randomly put him spinning in different distances and not just in front like kung laos dive kick.
Well a lot of Raiden players try to crossup after tele which is why they say that, but I wouldn't try to go for a NJP every single time he teleports unless it's excessive. Dash alone can get you out of a crossup or jump in situation if that's where you find yourself. The distance he bounces back after blocked superman is dependent on the distance it is blocked from.

Crossover after TP is a real bad habit imo. I do it all the time and miss free full combos because I will come up behind someone that threw a projectile or something and stupidly jump over them and get nothing. Just lost a tournament match yesterday and did that like 3 times (gunna post the video in the vid thread and ask for pointers there).

TrickyNick

Weather Man
hey so managed to fix my xbox from red ring for a short time. Some how lost my DLC so decided to finally try out my fav MK character raiden. Reason for not maining him sooner is beside the point, but anyhow

I have a question about a anti-air. Is it reliable to 1, vicinity blast, 1 vicinity blast, 1 shocker, 3,3 superman? I tried it for 2 days and only had the CPU to test it on and managed to land it every time. I guess the problem with this AA is being the 1. Does it have fast enough frames to knock a airborn character out of there offense.

Just curious as ive not seen much talked about in AA's, and if this has been mentioned before sorry. Only my second day getting down to the details with him.

Also another question:

In terms of locking someone down and creating confusion. Is B2,F1 EX lighting balls a good way to get a grab from a blocking enemy, or to at least create more pressure. From my experience with this and 1,2,1 EX lighting balls is that its some what useful. Of course characters with fast specials could escape before the second ball hits or use a armor move, but in doing so this setup could be used to bait those moves out?

Once again sorry if these have been mentioned im just curious:top:

B W1zZ

Noob
hey so managed to fix my xbox from red ring for a short time. Some how lost my DLC so decided to finally try out my fav MK character raiden. Reason for not maining him sooner is beside the point, but anyhow

I have a question about a anti-air. Is it reliable to 1, vicinity blast, 1 vicinity blast, 1 shocker, 3,3 superman? I tried it for 2 days and only had the CPU to test it on and managed to land it every time. I guess the problem with this AA is being the 1. Does it have fast enough frames to knock a airborn character out of there offense.

Just curious as ive not seen much talked about in AA's, and if this has been mentioned before sorry. Only my second day getting down to the details with him.

Also another question:

In terms of locking someone down and creating confusion. Is B2,F1 EX lighting balls a good way to get a grab from a blocking enemy, or to at least create more pressure. From my experience with this and 1,2,1 EX lighting balls is that its some what useful. Of course characters with fast specials could escape before the second ball hits or use a armor move, but in doing so this setup could be used to bait those moves out?

Once again sorry if these have been mentioned im just curious:top:
It wasn't an E74 error by chance was it? Mine had RROD that I fixed 2 years ago, but now it has 1 red light and E74.

The startup on 1 is 9 frames so it's pretty fast. Standing 1 Vicinity Blast as an anti air is actually really good. :en shocker is ultimately the most consistent anti air, but it uses meter.

For an anti air combo I'd recommend using: :fp:d:l+:bp,:r:r:d:r+:bp, :r+:bp:d:l+:bp,:l+:fk:l:r+:fk

It's 29% and pretty consistent.

Ultimately I wouldn't recommend using B2 F1 too much since the start up is slow. Generally when your pressuring you don't want to use :en lightning too much since you're burning meter, unless you're in a situation where you can get away with using meter. If you have them locked down in the corner with a blocked 334 into :en lightning that usually makes them want to block low, pretty good way of getting a grab opportunity or a F4 overhead depending on if they are standing/ducking. B31, B312, 33, and 334 all into :en lightning are all good options, just depends on how the match is going and if you can get away with burning that meter.

TrickyNick

Weather Man
Yea my xbox went to 3 rings then i fixed it with the x clamp fix. Messed up again went to one ring...took it back apart managed to make it 3 rings again then I overheated the system and repeated the process. Seems to be working now but prolly only for a couple months.

Also thanks for the response. They were some questions I did not have enough time to find the answer for myself and new someone around TYM would be willing to help. Ive yet to try the EX shocker as a anti-air. Seemed to have a slow start up. Next time im playing I will try it.

Ok thanks for clearing up the E lighting. Seems to be a pretty good tactic. Im trying to mix those and vicinity blast into a decent pressure game.

B W1zZ

Noob
Yea my xbox went to 3 rings then i fixed it with the x clamp fix. Messed up again went to one ring...took it back apart managed to make it 3 rings again then I overheated the system and repeated the process. Seems to be working now but prolly only for a couple months.

Also thanks for the response. They were some questions I did not have enough time to find the answer for myself and new someone around TYM would be willing to help. Ive yet to try the EX shocker as a anti-air. Seemed to have a slow start up. Next time im playing I will try it.

Ok thanks for clearing up the E lighting. Seems to be a pretty good tactic. Im trying to mix those and vicinity blast into a decent pressure game.
Yeah I need to get some new thermal paste so I can do the same thing.

:en Shocker has a slow startup, but remember it has armor so it will absorb the hit from the jump in punch/kick.

TrickyNick

Weather Man
Yeah I need to get some new thermal paste so I can do the same thing.

:en Shocker has a slow startup, but remember it has armor so it will absorb the hit from the jump in punch/kick.
Yea I use arctic 5 i think its called. It seems to work for a little while. The first time I fixed it the xbox worked for about 6 months then started messing up again.

Didn't know the move had armor on it lol. Wow should have caught that one.

B W1zZ

Noob
Yea I use arctic 5 i think its called. It seems to work for a little while. The first time I fixed it the xbox worked for about 6 months then started messing up again.

Didn't know the move had armor on it lol. Wow should have caught that one.
Yeah that's what I used. I find it weird that yours lasted 6 months and mine lasted 2 years before screwing up lol. I think my CPU is fine but the GPU probably needs new paste, just hoping the video scaler chip isn't damaged.

TrickyNick

Weather Man
That is odd. I will send you a message about it tomorrow or something. I had two that broke and maybe you did something different from me. My first was overheated id fix it and two to three days later it break again. The second was three..but anyhow id hate to turn the ask raiden forum into a Xbox guide lol.

Edit: Also video scaler chip sounds like a hassle. Hopefully thats not the situation and if it is, at least there price was droped to $200. I plan to buy one soon. Or a PS3 im tired of messing with 360s.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
You guys should just fork out the cash for a PS3. Just saying. You get free online and Kratos and you can play Uncharted and Killzone.

underoath85

Let there be thunder
What is the best way to time a 3,3,4 then dive, after a mid-screen b312 starter? And is vis-blast best used as only AA; like when you anticipate an over-head jump?

B W1zZ

Noob
What is the best way to time a 3,3,4 then dive, after a mid-screen b312 starter? And is vis-blast best used as only AA; like when you anticipate an over-head jump?
After 334 itself you can do a superman. Generally with 334 what you want to do is 334 teleport, F2 shocker, then F2 vicinity blast B3 superman for a 37% combo (40% with jump in punch.) Vicinity blast can be used as anti air, but it's also generally used within certain combos. 1 vicinity blast into dash shocker is probably the most consistent way of using it as anti air. It's very distance dependent by itself as anti air. It can also be used as pressure if cancelled off of the B312 and 334 strings, but this is matchup dependent since vicinity blast will whiff on some characters, like reptile and kitana.

underoath85

Let there be thunder
Awesome, thanks. I guess what I meant is...if you start a mid-screen kombo with b312, then f2 shocker, 334 superman. Is there a reliable way, at all, that you can time the 334 as op is coming out of shocker? Also, how the hell do you deal with cross-over jump punch spammers? It's hard to tele, njp, and blast n shocker reverse inputs. Thanks in advance, guys n gals.

B W1zZ

Noob
Awesome, thanks. I guess what I meant is...if you start a mid-screen kombo with b312, then f2 shocker, 334 superman. Is there a reliable way, at all, that you can time the 334 as op is coming out of shocker? Also, how the hell do you deal with cross-over jump punch spammers? It's hard to tele, njp, and blast n shocker reverse inputs. Thanks in advance, guys n gals.
The timing on 334 after shocker takes practice...pay attention to the shocker animation and right as it's about to finish start inputting the 334 command (timing is different depending on if your on an HDTV or lagless monitor/CRT). Also after B312 i go straight into a dash shocker, but F2 shocker is ok if it's easier to time for you, but I'd recommend working on dash shocker. If you can't time 334 consistently after a shocker you should probably do F2 vicinity blast B3 superman afterward instead of 334.

For crossup jump spammers you can try to do a standing 1 into vicinity blast....or a D1 vicinity blast into 334 superman. The trick to landing :en shocker on a crossup is to let go of block as they are crossing you up if you are blocking, and when they are passing right above you do shocker towards the side of the screen they are jumping to. It takes practice and you gotta have fast reactions, but it leads to a 30% damage combo.

Another option for a crossup is to dash underneath them to create space, and use that to either superman them or nail them with a sweep etc.

Hope that helps.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
In a mid-screen combo, you shouldn't waste your time doing 3 3 4~superman after shocker. f2~vicinity blast, b3~superman is an objectively better follow-up; it does the same damage but builds more meter in addition to not requiring a link in a fairly small window to connect.

B W1zZ

Noob
In a mid-screen combo, you shouldn't waste your time doing 3 3 4~superman after shocker. f2~vicinity blast, b3~superman is an objectively better follow-up; it does the same damage but builds more meter in addition to not requiring a link in a fairly small window to connect.
Agreed, which is why I use F2 VB a majority of the time. It's still a small window but I think the latest patch adjusted the hitbox a little bit on the 334 so it has less of a chance to whiff.