most advantage
midscreen?
corner?

best mixups?

general strategy
rushing?
zoning?
...?

How do you deal with jump happy opponents and crossups. With a WHOPPING crouch hitbox it seems a down poke isn't a good idea for crossups. Teleport away can be hit too. And what about Anti Air options for opponents that jump at you. I've tried ground claws but it's risky, a whiff means you're eating a full combo. I've found the uppercut is the most reliable anti air. Any suggestions? It seems to me like freddy's defense is very weak and can be crossed up easily.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
GodsLonelyman said:
How do you deal with jump happy opponents and crossups. With a WHOPPING crouch hitbox it seems a down poke isn't a good idea for crossups. Teleport away can be hit too. And what about Anti Air options for opponents that jump at you. I've tried ground claws but it's risky, a whiff means you're eating a full combo. I've found the uppercut is the most reliable anti air. Any suggestions? It seems to me like freddy's defense is very weak and can be crossed up easily.
Against cross ups, you can jump back and punch, dash, and combo with f+4,2,1. Against regular jumps, you can uppercut or standing 1 into f+4,2,1.

Freddy's defense is terrible. In some match ups, the key is to take advantage of NMS as much as possible. High pressure characters such as Cage and Jax can do very little about smart use of NMS. In general, you have to know the basics of zoning. When you put yourself in certain situations with Freddy, sometimes there is no escaping.

Against cross ups, you can jump back and punch, dash, and combo with f+4,2,1. Against regular jumps, you can uppercut or standing 1 into f+4,2,1.

Freddy's defense is terrible. In some match ups, the key is to take advantage of NMS as much as possible. High pressure characters such as Cage and Jax can do very little about smart use of NMS. In general, you have to know the basics of zoning. When you put yourself in certain situations with Freddy, sometimes there is no escaping.
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Error said:
Anyone else here that uses mid hell spike after a jump in kick?
Yes. That is useful versus those long ranged d+4s (like Mileena's) since JPs cannot hit.

Also, every Freddy should learn the following combo that I saw in Teef's video.

b+2 xx EX spikes, JP,b+1,2,u+1, dash u+3, dash f+4,2,1 xx far ground spike, far ground spike. 47% of damage from an overhead. A little bit less after b+3.

Flagg

Noob
Well mains with me have come and gone. In my time playing this, i've mained Jade, Sheeva, Nightwolf, Baraka and CSZ.

I dropped Jade awhile ago, I dont really use Sheeva seriously, NW i find utterly boring and ive also recently dropped Sindel sadly.

However im still loving Baraka and CSZ, but I dont want to just run wild with two characters!

So I thought I need a new guy. Someone a bit tasty. Kitana, Mileena, Reptile, SZ, Raiden and KL hold no interest for me. I find them boring characters and everyone seems to play them and in the same generic way.

After messing around, I thought "okay, Freddy looks like he could be totally badass".

Is Freddy quite a technical character? That doesn't bother me if he is, just if I decide to invest in someone, I usually start putting a lot of time and effort into them, I just want to know if he's worth it in the long run. His mix ups look amazing. I'm amazed more people dont use him. I know he was until recently banned at tournies, but I hardly ever see Freddy online...he's almost as rare as Skarlet to encounter.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Well mains with me have come and gone. In my time playing this, i've mained Jade, Sheeva, Nightwolf, Baraka and CSZ.

I dropped Jade awhile ago, I dont really use Sheeva seriously, NW i find utterly boring and ive also recently dropped Sindel sadly.

However im still loving Baraka and CSZ, but I dont want to just run wild with two characters!

So I thought I need a new guy. Someone a bit tasty. Kitana, Mileena, Reptile, SZ, Raiden and KL hold no interest for me. I find them boring characters and everyone seems to play them and in the same generic way.

After messing around, I thought "okay, Freddy looks like he could be totally badass".

Is Freddy quite a technical character? That doesn't bother me if he is, just if I decide to invest in someone, I usually start putting a lot of time and effort into them, I just want to know if he's worth it in the long run. His mix ups look amazing. I'm amazed more people dont use him. I know he was until recently banned at tournies, but I hardly ever see Freddy online...he's almost as rare as Skarlet to encounter.

very true. and yes, kruegur is very technical char...very rewarding on master as well!

Flagg

Noob
Freddy is a interesting character. I mean he has crazy long, but damaging/rewarding combos, but this guy is an absolute beast at zoning. Glove toss, Freddy Fingers, Sweet Dreams, even Hell spikes means he can pressure from a distance insanely. I think I read somewhere that his Glove toss is faster than Kanos knives! While he isn't a beast up close (but no slouch either), I do find he has quite a few mix ups and if the opponent slips up once, you can punish them pretty hard.

However, what does he have in terms of a good wake up? I've not had a chance to really use him online yet (only a few games), just been using him in the lab and playing through ladder, but it seems only close hell spike is good for wake up?

Videos on Freddy seem quite rare as well.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Can 2, 2 count as a sort of block string? I was just messing around in practice mode when it hit me that this may work on some people. Basically, you do [2, 2, low projectile] a few times, and then mix it up with [2, 2, 1+2], which ends in an overhead. I assume (<-- key word) the low projectile keeps them staggered long enough to deliver the next hit. I mean, if someone expects this, you're f'd, but I'm not sure whether it's generally practical or not. I don't have anyone to practice with. :(

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Faded Dreams V said:
Can 2, 2 count as a sort of block string? I was just messing around in practice mode when it hit me that this may work on some people. Basically, you do [2, 2, low projectile] a few times, and then mix it up with [2, 2, 1+2], which ends in an overhead. I assume (<-- key word) the low projectile keeps them staggered long enough to deliver the next hit. I mean, if someone expects this, you're f'd, but I'm not sure whether it's generally practical or not. I don't have anyone to practice with. :(
2,2 is not safe, but 2,2,1+2 definitely is. 2,2 xx Freddy fingers is also safe but can be interrupted via an attack with armor and possibly something as fast as Reptile's elbow dash and Kung Lao's spin. Freddy fingers does not provide enough advantage on hit to follow up with any mix ups. 2,2,1+2 and 2,2 xx Freddy fingers is a solid mix up, though. The Freddy fingers can actually be blocked on reaction, but that is very difficult to do in the heat of a fight.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Yes. That is useful versus those long ranged d+4s (like Mileena's) since JPs cannot hit.

Also, every Freddy should learn the following combo that I saw in Teef's video.

b+2 xx EX spikes, JP,b+1,2,u+1, dash u+3, dash f+4,2,1 xx far ground spike, far ground spike. 47% of damage from an overhead. A little bit less after b+3.
What does u+3 do? I don't think I have ever tried this command nor have I ever seen it on the moves list

M2Dave

Zoning Master
FOREVER KING said:
What does u+3 do? I don't think I have ever tried this command nor have I ever seen it on the moves list
It's a hop kick looking attack. u+3 is rarely used outside of combos. Speaking of combos...

That is the new combo Teef has come up with that every Freddy player ought to steal.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Wow 47%? Holy fuck.

That makes Freddy's 50/50 game one of the best of the entire roster with meter. b2/b3 can't be fuzzy-guarded as is, and isn't EX spike safe on block?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
THTB said:
Wow 47%? Holy fuck.

That makes Freddy's 50/50 game one of the best of the entire roster with meter. b2/b3 can't be fuzzy-guarded as is, and isn't EX spike safe on block?
Freddy's 50/50 mix up game is the best in the game because EX ground spike is safe on block. The problem is if the opponent guesses correctly, you do not want to get knocked down or cornered without meter. In my opinion, Freddy's defense is one of the worst in the game. It is just barely better than Sindel's and Ermac's.

By the way, are you traveling to NEC next month? Master D. and I may not be able to make the trip, and we are salty about it.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Freddy's 50/50 mix up game is the best in the game because EX ground spike is safe on block. The problem is if the opponent guesses correctly, you do not want to get knocked down or cornered without meter. In my opinion, Freddy's defense is one of the worst in the game. It is just barely better than Sindel's and Ermac's.

By the way, are you traveling to NEC next month? Master D. and I may not be able to make the trip, and we are salty about it.
Nah, I won't be able to. I won't be at tourneys for a while, though. At least until PowerUp.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
ok got 3 questions for ya dave/teef

1. freddy armor abilities?
2. freddy wake up game?
3. best freddy block strings? (and/or block adv)

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
It's a hop kick looking attack. u+3 is rarely used outside of combos. Speaking of combos...

That is the new combo Teef has come up with that every Freddy player ought to steal.
I gave up doing this combo a long time ago when I realized it's impossible online. lol.

It can be extended in the corner with an extra F4, 2, 1 + close spike for 52%. 55% with an initial Jump-in punch. Not too shabby.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
1man3letters said:
ok got 3 questions for ya dave/teef

1. freddy armor abilities?
2. freddy wake up game?
3. best freddy block strings? (and/or block adv)
1. Only EX sweet dreams has armor.
2. Front and away teleport, close ground spike, NMS, etc. Nothing too bad but nothing too good either.
3. Best block string is by far f+4,2,1. 12 frames. Hits mid. Hit-confirmable. Launches.

I will answer your other question in the other thread promptly. The internet is down in my entire area, and I am on a dreadful connection at the moment.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
1. Only EX sweet dreams has armor.
2. Front and away teleport, close ground spike, NMS, etc. Nothing too bad but nothing too good either.
3. Best block string is by far f+4,2,1. 12 frames. Hits mid. Hit-confirmable. Launches.

I will answer your other question in the other thread promptly. The internet is down in my entire area, and I am on a dreadful connection at the moment.
cheers m2dave
thanks for the knowledge :sniper:

Anyone know what use the EX Teleport has? It seems faster and travels a tiny bit further but it doesn;t have armor and doesn't seem like much more than a waste of meter. Anyone found some good use for it? Does it recover faster than the standard version?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
GodsLonelyman said:
Anyone know what use the EX Teleport has? It seems faster and travels a tiny bit further but it doesn;t have armor and doesn't seem like much more than a waste of meter. Anyone found some good use for it? Does it recover faster than the standard version?
Unlike regular teleport, EX teleport is invincible on start up, but you can be thrown. Nonetheless, EX teleport is Freddy's best defensive move. It is a life safer vs characters like Cage and Jax, especially if you get stuck in the corner, and you will. The recovery on regular and EX teleport is the same. As you said, though, EX teleport travels a bit further, so some characters are not able to punish you consistently. EX teleport is the only reason Freddy is not as fucked as a character like Sindel is in the corner. Trust me.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Freddy needs some luv. this thread needs to be bumped as well as the videos and tutorial.

i got some new tools. shall explain later. lets make freddy a better char!