What's new

Tech - Special Forces Armour option select

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
When cancelling a string into block+4 there is always a gap. b332~block+4 is safe, so the gap can be baited. b14~block+4 is mostly safe, some moves such as sub's slide will punish from certain ranges. The problem with baiting the gap is that you don't want to sacrafice the plus frames of the block+4 (+34). Usually once the block+4 is blocked you would run and pressure, so you would get hit when they armour the gap.

By doing a short block after the block+4 then quickly continuing the pressure you ar enot sacraficing the frames and are still at about +13, f2 is guaranteed still.

Basically when baiting the gap you're looking for the armour, so you'll stop and by the time you realise the armour hasn't been used the plus frames are gone. By just doing a quick block everytime, you don't have to look for it.

In terms of how practical this is I'm not too sure. The only thing guaranteed is f2, where as before everything was guaranteed. With it only being about +14 they can just delay armour and punish you but it's better than wating too long when you're baiting armour anyway, and losing all the frames.

In the video's I show trying to armour the gap before the block+4, them me trying to armour after the kamikaze has hit. I recorded Sonyas ai.

@Airvidal
@Invincible Salads
@Tony at Home
@Scott The Scot
@Youphemism
@MyronJ

Last edited:

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Interesting thought, not sure how it'll fare against slower armoured specials though and when they're done last minute/after the reversal window. Then again if it's slow enough then BLK+4 and F2 might break it.

And I actually brought my Special Forces back out this week at GK lol so you can check that out once I upload the videos. You should already be watching anyway though ;)

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Nice breh, thanks for the tag - I like option selects. It makes me feel like I'm a super advanced player lol. At +14 I'd for sure be running up and doing a 50/50 or something but that's just scrubby me lol :)

colby4898

Interesting thought, not sure how it'll fare against slower armoured specials though and when they're done last minute/after the reversal window. Then again if it's slow enough then BLK+4 and F2 might break it.

And I actually brought my Special Forces back out this week at GK lol so you can check that out once I upload the videos. You should already be watching anyway though ;)
Good point, just tried it against Takedas ex bf2 and it doesn't work. But against slow armour you can just follow up with run 121 and it will break armour anyway, so there wouldn't be much use in OSing anyway. Ofc there may be some exceptions where the armour is too slow to be broken and to slow that this doens't work. I haven't fully tested it yet.

colby4898

Nice breh, thanks for the tag - I like option selects. It makes me feel like I'm a super advanced player lol. At +14 I'd for sure be running up and doing a 50/50 or something but that's just scrubby me lol :)
Yeah that would work fine as long they don't armour, they probably wouldn't armour everytime anyway so it's still worth it. Also you can condition with them with f2 so they don't. But you don't get much off of f2 or a 50/50 with out the drone anyway so the risk/reward is in the opponents favour I'd say.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Good point, just tried it against Takedas ex bf2 and it doesn't work. But against slow armour you can just follow up with run 121 and it will break armour anyway, so there wouldn't be much use in OSing anyway. Ofc there may be some exceptions where the armour is too slow to be broken and to slow that this doens't work. I haven't fully tested it yet.
Well that's what a character community's for, helping optimize tech ;)

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I knew there was someone I forgot! Sorry D:
You forgot me too :(

Usually when I want to bait armour I just got for BLK+2 or BLK+1. It's vey hard to react to the drone flying down [BLK+4] (as opposed to her just touching her watch for BLK+2 or BLK+1) and if you do react to it (rather than to the end of the string) you miss the reversal timing which essentially means it's safe from pretty much everything.

The frame advantage you get from BLK+1 is actually variable on how far the drone is. From max distance it will still jail from b332, but it ends up being around +7.

BLK+2 is obvious as they'll either get hit or block the special in which case you get to follow up either way and you haven't lost your launcher.

I like this though, I'll have to use it more; especially in the corner where you can follow up with starter~exbf2 for a full combo.