What's new

Guide - Special Forces (UPDATED 25/10) Colby's guide to Special Forces

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Hi,

I'll start by saying the reason I love this variation so much. The main reason being that it is so fun to play! In my opinion it is the most fun variation in the game. Though I don't believe it is as good as demolition or covert ops, I just find her other variations so boring to play. She also demands respect with her homing missile, good zoning and good mixups.

What this variation gains is her drone (dd1) which grants her 5 moves utilising the drone.
1 + Block = A short range overhead blast. 18 start up, +3 block adv., +51 hit adv, 8% damage
2 + Block = A homing missile which is her most useful too. 47 start up, +35 block adv., 5% damage
3 + Block = A kamikaze, most useless tool she gains. 28 start up, +31 block adv., +67 hit adv., 10% damage
4 + Block = A low kamikaze used to extend combos and for block pressure. 47 start up, +35 block adv. +91 hit adv. 10% damage.
dd1 = Park drone. Can be used to set up a 'hard to blockable'.
b2 = A launching mid to be used mid combos. 15 start up, -23 block adv. 55 hit adv. 7% damage.

The annoying thing abut the drone is that it doesn't buffer. Meaning timing can be difficult from certain strings and can be different timings on block and on hit.

Combos

Only time to ever use meter in a combo is in the corner which I'll come to later. Each combo will start with a jip, d4 to demonstrate highest damage.
The damage in square brackets "[ ]" shows the damage without the jip~d4 starter.

Easiest Links. (Use for online with ok connection)
Slightly Harder Links. (Use for online with good connection)
Difficult Links. (Use for offline)

Mid-screen with drone active:
[jip d4] b332 4+Block b2 njp run 12 run 2134 (41%) [37%]
[jip d4] b332 4+Block b2 njp run 12 run 213 bf4 (43%) [39%]
[jip d4] b332 4+Block b2 run 12 run 2134 (39%) [34%]
[jip d4] b332 4+Block b2 run 12 run 213 bf4 (41%) [37%]
[jip d4] b332 4+Block b2 2134 (37%) [32%]

[jip d4] b332 4+Block b2 213 bf4 (39%) [34%]

[jip d4] b14 4+Block run b2 2134 (34%) [29%]
[jip d4] b14 4+Block run b2 121 bf4 (37%) [32%]

njp f4 Block+4 b2 2134 (30%)
njp f4 Block+4 b2 213 bf4 (32%)
njp dd1 run 12 run 2134 (19%) Block+4 run b14 bf4 (23%) {42%} Hard to blockable setup

11 Block+4 b2 2134 (28%) (7 frame punish)

11 Block+4 b2 121 bf4 (31%) (7 frame punish)
11 Block+4 b2 21 run 121 bf4 (33%) (7 frame punish)

Mid-screen without drone active:
[jip d4] b33212 (22%) [14%]
[jip d4] b33212 bf4 (26%) [20%]

[jip d4] b142 (19%) [11%]
[jip d4] b14 bf4 (21%) [14%]

[jip d4] b2 b2 run 12 run 121 bf4 (33%) [27%]
[jip d4] b2 b2 2134 (28%) [22%]
[jip d4] b2 1 njp run 1 run 2134 (29%) [23%]

[jip d4] b2 1 njp run 1 run 121 bf4 (31%) [26%]
[jip d4] b2 njp run b2 2134 (31%) [25%]
[jip d4] b2 njp run b2 213 bf4 (33%) [27%]

njp b2 b2 2134(24%)
njp b2 b2 121 bf4 (27%)

Corner with drone active:
[jip d4] b332 4+Block njp b2 12 12 2134 (42%) [38%]
[jip d4] b332 4+Block njp b2 12 12 213 bf4 (44%) [40%]

[jip d4] b14 4+Block njp b2 12 12 2134 (40%) [36%]
[jip d4] b14 4+Block njp b2 12 12 213 bf4 (42%) [38%]

[jip d4] b14 2+Block 12 b2 12 njp 12 2134 (38%) [34%] (this does high damage and allows for setups/oki as drone remains active)

njp 4 Block+4 b2 12 2134 (35%)
njp 4 Block+4 b2 12 121 bf4 (37%)

Corner without drone active:
[jip d4] b33u4 12 12 12 2134 (33%) [27%]
[jip d4] b33u4 12 12 12 213 bf4 (34%) [29%]

[jip d4] b14 bf2 ex 12 12 12 2134 (31%) [25%]
[jip d4] b14 bf2 ex 12 12 12 213 bf4 (34%) [27%]

[jip d4] b2 12 njp 12 2134 (32%) [26%]
[jip d4] b2 12 njp 12 213 bf4 (34%) [28%]

njp f4 12 12 2134 (27%)
njp f4 12 12 121 bf4 (29%)

X-Ray:
X-Ray run 12 run 121 bf4 (48%)
X-Ray run b2 12 run 121 bf4 (52%)
X-Ray run b2 12 run 2134 (49%)

X-Ray run b2 njp run b2 run 121 bf4 (55%)

X-Ray run 12 njp 12 12 2134 (53%) (Corner)

X-Ray run 12 njp 12 12 121 bf4 (55%) (Corner)

Activating Drone Safely

There are several dafe ways to avctivate the drone after a combo. I'm sure you have noticed I am ending all my combos with 2134 string. This is because it guarantees a getting the drone out against every wake up in the game. So I try to end all my combos with 2134. There are other ways to get it out safely such as ending a combo with 222, however this is less damage and puts the opponent full screen away where as 2134 puts them right in front of you allowing you to continue pressure. After 2134 mid-screen it also guarantees homing missile pressure. So after 2134 you can do dd1 2+Block safely.

The other way I activate the drone safely is from her low b33212. This allows a safe drone activation however does put the opponent full screen away. Ex db4 is safe against most wakeups in the game other than fast approaching wakeups like reptiles ex slide.

Landing an ex bf2 allows a relatively safe drone activation also.

njk and double njps also allows a safe drone activation.

d2 is a safe activation from as anti air as well as an anti-air arc kick.

There is no safe way to activate drone on block, but while gimmicky, string into dd1 Block+2 may sometimes work, especially if they're not expecting it. You will get hit but the homing missile will hit them stopping them from finishing the combo and you get the drone out which I think is a favourable trade.

Pressure

Next to discuss is her pressure that she gets from her drone attacks. My favourite thing about her is how Block+2 interrupts everything, not allowing the opponent to get momentum starting. Once the homing missile is out it will stay out even if you are hit. However there is a timer on it so it won't just keep going until it hits the opponent.

B332 Pressure

Confirming is a big part of sonyas pressure. If b332 hits go into the 4+Block and do the combo's above into the safe drone activation. If b332 is blocked you have several options.

b332 cancelled into any drone special is safe, though a gap.

You can activate the homing missile (Block+2) which means that if the opponent tries to reversal the missile will hit them. This demands respect. You can follow up with 121/f4 for plus frames or b1/b3 for the mixup.
Looping b332~block+2 creates great pressure. Although you it's not as easy as b332~block+2... because the drone hasnt recovered to activate it on block again. Below are a few options you can do to make this loopable.

b332~block+2 1/12/121 b332~block+2 ... This is good because you can stagger 1 (0) /12 (+2) /121 (+2) into b332~block+2. Obviously b3 isn't guaranteed, but staggering the string makes it hard for the opponent to poke out. If you think they're gonna poke or armour you can act how you normally would from plus frames.

b332~block+2 crossover jip~b332~block+2... anti airing sonya is hard enough, let alone with a homing missile in your face. If you do get antiaired you'll get a trade with the missile.

Mixing these together makes it harder for the opponent to escape pressure.

You can choose to go into the overhead blast (Block+1) for a simple mix up which is +3 on block.

Or you can do the low kamikaze (Block+4) again for a mix up and is also +35 on block allowing you to continue pressure. It's worth noting that when the low kamikaze is blocked it has a lot of push back on the opponent making it harder for you to continue pressure. So after activating the low kamikaze a short run cancel into a string for a true block string to continue pressure. A run cancel into any string is a true block string which means you can even continue with your 50/50 pressure by doing Block+4 rc b142 or Block+4 rc b33212. I also like to do Block+4 rc 121 to keep + frames

B14 Pressure
Similar options as b332 on block. Hit/block confirming this string is slightly harder than b332 but you get all the same options as b332. You can use b14~block+2 on block to get you into the same pressure as b332. b14 isn't as easily loopable as b332 because the string doesn't last as long and is much easier to be poked out of.

Mixups

Standard mixups with b14 (oh,low) and b332 (low,mid,mid,mid).
After either of these strings are blocked you can go into and drone special safely.
Block+1 unfuzziable +3 overhead, guarantees a homing missile on knock down.
Block+4 fuzziable low combo starter, +35 everyhting bar jump in guaranteed on block.
Block+2 for pressure.

Corner Game

When you are in the corner this is where Special Forces shines. She has high damage and setups which is very difficult for your opponent to get out of as well as being able to stuff 1 hit armoured wakeups.

Activate her homing missile whenever you can is key. Ending your combos in 2134 dd1 or 121 dd1. However unlike mid-screen being able to activate Block+2 after the 2134 knockdown isn't guaranteed against all wakeups, so deciding when to activate it is important and can be used to bait unsafe wakeups.
Using 121~dd1~block+2 is a great was to end also because a lot of wakeups can be blocked, and even safe wakeups will be full combo punished by the missile.

Confirming your b332 into Block+2 stops them from being able to escape, and this being completely safe means you can block after and bait armoured reversals. You can even bait pokes which can also be full combo punished by the homing missile.

If you don't have your drone out after b14 use ex bf2 as it is -5 on block and can be combo'd if it hits as shown in the combo list.

B33u4 is -7 on block so is mostly safe as a low combo starter.

Armour Stuffing

Doing a combo that doesn't use a drone even when you have a drone out can be advantageous though risky as if it's blocked will leave you minus. Ending the combo in Block+2 and then doing b33u4 or 121 will stuff a lot of armour and get you a full combo into oki.

Anti 2 hit armour

Now some special moves have to hits of armour they cannot be consistently beaten anymore. Below is a link to a thread I made of a stategy against these moves in which you deal 24% to the oponnent shoul they wake up with a such an armoured move.

https://testyourmight.com/threads/anti-2-hit-armour-24-trade.61786/

Zoning

Activating homing missile forces the opponent to block which means bf2 cant be neutral crouched under meaning you can get some pretty decent chip damage full screen. If they try to jump away from the homing missile it will likely hit and you may also hit a bf2 meaning 5/10%.

You can also use her kamikaze to zone. Block+3 is a 'mid' however can be neutral crouched under so only use if they jump a lot. For example if a Kitana is throwing air fans this can be a good way to stop that. Block+4 hits low so if they're neutral crouching bf2 throwing this is every now and then is a good idea.

Anti-zoning improves as activating the homing missile will scare the opponent allowing you to move in much easier.

Hard to blockables
As of yet I have only found one hlegit hard to blokable setup:
njp dd1 run 12 run 2134 (18%) Block+4 run b14 bf4 (23%) ((42%))
This setup is not something that is going to happen every game as you have to land an njp with the drone with enough time left on the drone for this to happen. It can also be escaped by tech rolling.

Miscellaneous info

There is a gap in b14 which can be armoured through.

She also gains a great wakeup in Block+4 which will often result in you getting hit but a usually it's a favourable trade and can also be combo'd from depending on positioning.

Landing a Block+1 guarantees any drone special.

Using Block +3/4 in zoning isn't always going to work because the tracking on them isn't great. If they run, or even just walk forward, as you activate the drone the drone will miss them. I usually only activate a kamikaze when the drone is going to run out of time and use Block+2 to keep control of space while zoning.

Block+2 as an anti air will happen often, being able to convert of these with a run in needs to be somethingyou're capitilising on.

How she's changed as of 04/10

While she received no changes to this specific variation the change to b1 did nerf her a fair bit. b1 is now 19 start up frames up from 12. This is obviously bad as it's more reactable now, but that isn't what hurt her. Special Forces isn't a great punisher without drone active. She could use 11~low kami for close range punishes and use b14~low kami for punishes where 11 wouldn't reach as it was a 12 frame approaching normal. Now it's been significintly slowed down she really struggles to punish moves arounf -15 if they have any sort of pushback due to s1 tiny range. using d4 for these may be the best punish you can get, low damage but at least you get the plus frames.

Her zoning has also improved with the general changes to stamina. Getting tagged by homing missile while trying to run in? Say bye to stamina and hello to zoning!

Also as briefly covered above her corner game isn't as strong due to not being able to break all armour. You need to respect the opponents options in the corner more. However at least they won't be getting full combos if they do wakeup. This has also helped her pressure as you no longer need to think about the gaps in her drone cancels so much.

Hope you have found this useful and or interesting :D

Colby

Last edited:

colby4898

I realise that and it isn't practical. I just showed that to demonstrate the max damage.

A jip is easy to confirm into a d4 anyway so I only dive kick if i see the jip has hit.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I don't understand why people hate on Jump In Punches. It's a way to get max damage when you read that Scorpion is going to throw his EX spear, or that F/T is going to throw the low Ferra toss thing, or when another Sonya goes to shoot her projectile.

Nice guide, nobody :)

I realise that and it isn't practical. I just showed that to demonstrate the max damage.

A jip is easy to confirm into a d4 anyway so I only dive kick if i see the jip has hit.
You cannot hit confirm a jip into a d4. It's a single hit and the time you have to see if the jip connected or not is too short for human reactions. You have to commit to it fully.

colby4898

You cannot hit confirm a jip into a d4. It's a single hit and the time you have to see if the jip connected or not is too short for human reactions. You have to commit to it fully.
I disagree, you don't have to input d4 as soon as the jip lands giving you time to react.

colby4898

I don't understand why people hate on Jump In Punches. It's a way to get max damage when you read that Scorpion is going to throw his EX spear, or that F/T is going to throw the low Ferra toss thing, or when another Sonya goes to shoot her projectile.

Nice guide, nobody :)
Thank you that's much appreciated :)

I disagree, you don't have to input d4 as soon as the jip lands giving you time to react.
You have approximately 7 frames after point of contact. Plenty enough to input a divekick. Not enough to see whether or not you hit, and confirm off that.

**edit**
Oops, 13. Forgot to take into account OpenShot's frame rate. Still not nearly enough to confirm off.

Well I've been managing to confirm it so idrc what the frames say lol
This is literally impossible.

here's the frame step. Slowed it down to 500ms between frames of the point of contact and when I have to input the divekick. I barley make this one too, hit the shin. I delayed it as long as I could to see the maximum allowed time. And this isn't even counting the natural xbox one controller input delay.

And to show that I'm giving myself the largest possible window to cancel, full step which shows point of contact of the punch is on the head, and the divekick just barely makes it, getting the heels (I put 100ms delay between frames):

http://i.imgur.com/LTfHXDj.gifv

Last edited:

oaoo94

Owner of HAZARDOUS Gaming
Wait so you can't buffer the inputs for the drone to do something!????? WHAT THE!????? THATS Why I couldn't cancel into any drone inputs and said fuck this variation. Thanks for the informative post bruh.

colby4898

Wait so you can't buffer the inputs for the drone to do something!????? WHAT THE!????? THATS Why I couldn't cancel into any drone inputs and said fuck this variation. Thanks for the informative post bruh.
Yeah it's a bit annoying and does take some getting used to. The timing for each string is different on block and on hit making it quite tricky to confirm drone on block. Other than b322 because the timing is nearly the same on hit and block.
It also means for a lot of strings the drone won't even combo.

I'm glad you found this useful :)

idc if it's 'impossible' because i've been doing it!
No, you haven't. I don't want to derail the thread anymore, but I honestly can't let you get away with that claim.

To have the reactions to hit confirm off that, you'd need to have the same reactions needed to block Sonya's b3 on reaction, since it's a 13 or 14 frame window max.

oaoo94

Owner of HAZARDOUS Gaming
Yeah I wanted to play this variation because of the mad plus frames on block for the drone... But said fuck it because I didn't know how to cancel into a drone input. But yeah man good stuff. You play on ps4?

colby4898

Yeah I wanted to play this variation because of the mad plus frames on block for the drone... But said fuck it because I didn't know how to cancel into a drone input. But yeah man good stuff. You play on ps4
Yeah I'm on PS4 but I can't really play at the moment because the dpad on my controller is kind of fucked lol
so ive been labbing some characters till i get a new one. I'll happily play you if you're EU when I get a new controller. :)

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
I feel like I played against your special forces Sonya in a KoTh a few weeks back. It was really solid and used a lot of the tools you listed here.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
And this isn't even counting the natural xbox one controller input delay.
v
Wait what? I'm not being sarcastic, natural input delay?

I play PC with Xbox one controller and have HUGE input delay when online. Tested vs multiple people, they will effectively have none (or little enough to combo perfectly) and I have so much as to make hitting f2 in to f2 literally impossible on SG Kotal.

Sorry to hijack, but I had not heard anything about Xbox controllers having built in delay.. Please do explain.

colby4898

I feel like I played against your special forces Sonya in a KoTh a few weeks back. It was really solid and used a lot of the tools you listed here.
Thanks and yeah it's possible, what's your psn?

My controller was a bit messed up then too so I wasn't playing as good as I would have liked, but it wasn't too bad.

Wait what? I'm not being sarcastic, natural input delay?

I play PC with Xbox one controller and have HUGE input delay when online. Tested vs multiple people, they will effectively have none (or little enough to combo perfectly) and I have so much as to make hitting f2 in to f2 literally impossible on SG Kotal.

Sorry to hijack, but I had not heard anything about Xbox controllers having built in delay.. Please do explain.
Not sure what the best term for it is, 'input latency' may be better. But there's an unavoidable time in every game between the press of a button on a controller and when the action is actually recognized by the game.

Here's an article which actually shows tests, and one of the included games is Mortal Kombat:

http://www.displaylag.com/console-latency-exploring-video-game-input-lag/

Basically, pressing a button, such as "block" doesn't mean you block that exact frame. The input is not immediately conveyed. For MKX it's 100ms, or 1 tenth of a second. This included monitor lag in their tests, though they used good monitors.

Pretty significant.