What's new

Question - Sub-Zero Armor Breaking w/ Grandmaster

Great work on bringing this to light, but I have to say, stuff like this is part of the reason why im not so upset that tom brady has left us, he stifles creativity within the community and prevents lesser players from bringing forward their ideas

I personally have been using D4 after a clone set up in several match ups to shut down wake ups for a long time now, good tech, keep researching it and im sure you'll find as I have it can be very useful
Using D4 and F4 and even B2 in some instances to armor break is in the day 1 grandmaster guide. He is the section..

PROGRESSION 2: ARMOR
· Plain and simple… your opponent does not want to block. Blocking will be their last resort and with jumping being punished, the opponent will now move on to armor. After ending a set up combo into clone they opponent may try to use an armored move as a wake up attack. You always have the option to just block it and punish them. There are instances where you can just attack with a move fast enough and use the attack + the clone as a way to break the armor of the enhanced wake up attack. Back + 2, Forward + 4, etc all work against slower armored moves and you can use Down +4 for faster armored moves. What happens is either your attack hits first (occupying the opponents armor) causing their attack to collide with the clone minus the armor, or their attack collides with the clone first (occupying the armor) and your attacks hits them after the fact.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
@Tom Brady you were tagged in not only 1, but 2 separate threads about this tech, giving you credit for finding this/ it being in the early GM guide you made.

All this is an expansion of that idea since you had a falling out with SZ and MKX, and frankly because I was curious about its application cast-wide.

Not only that but I reached out to you in an effort to help ghost write and update your guides that have gotten a little stale. This was one of the things I wanted to submit.

Last edited:
Using D4 and F4 and even B2 in some instances to armor break is in the day 1 grandmaster guide. He is the section..
You mean the guide you told everyone later on was completely out of date and that if anyone played sub zero by following said guide they would be destined for failure?

Rebelo

Noob
@loogie maybe not, but test it for yourself. This whole idea came from having "just a thought" after watching Rebelo SZ play Coach Steeve's Kano, where Kano would wake up ex knives/ ex uprise ball to beat corner clone. Now we have a hard counter to that. Not only that, but during testing, I found a bunch of other things like heavier attacks shredding armor For higher unsealed damage, or how to place a clone mid combo and combo into it off f4, which is a great pressure tool on its own, now hit confirmable into 50%. It's a thought process that I've found one single way to apply. Others are out there for sure.

I'm glad you guys are on board with it, that's exactly what this character needs. Keep the ideas coming.
I've never played Steve befor lol

RagingRicans

NetBattles
I like to meaty with a d4 after an iceclone alot lol. keeps them in check. I was going to post other match up references but never gotten around to it