What's new

Question Aris The Original Smoke?

Did Aris set the ground work for smoke players?

• Yes

Votes: 26 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Hi Guys.

I just thought I would open a topic on what I have noticed now looking back at EVO 2011 when Aris played MK.

Does anyone else think that Aris was the first guy to realise how Smoke should be played?

He had an original style, with allot of jumping back, smoke away, smoke bomb meter building, with wiffed teleport punches on knockdowns, threatening the D1 smoke bomb etc.

Basically, does the kommunity think that was he the first smoke player to set the ground work and lay out a starting template for how to approach the character?

Dis-mutha-fuckin-skuss.

coolwhip

Noob
I'm sure someone will say "I was doing that in April 2011" (and that might very well be true), but yeah, I'd say Aris had a decent understanding of how to play the character relatively early on in the game's life.

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
He's set the groundwork for high level smoke play
He's set the groundwork for (-Insert Kayo Police Joke Here-)
He's set the groundwork for epic beardage
He's set the groundwork for giving capcom bad press (Too soon? :D)

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
I'm willing to bet money someone is gonna be like "DOESN'T MATTER SMOKE STILL SUCKS!" and then a flame war will erupt.

As for the OP, I agree.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Maybe, although I think the game has changed so much since then that not all of it would still work.

I dont remember specifics though so you may be right.

McNasty

Moist.
His oki set ups and use of d1 definitely paved the way for modern smoke play but xsmokex and wafflez have refined smokes gameplay from combos to spacing and forcing mistakes.

I voted yes.

Also, keep in mind that Aris was one of mk's biggest critics when it first came out. However, he stated that in order to criticize the game, he would need to be good at it as well, otherwise he wouldn't get any respect. His mentality was to to be good at the game, and he got 9th at Evo 2k11, losing to only REO and Perfect Legend, the two people that were in the finals of mk's first Evo. Not to mention he did a great service with his commentary at Evo 2k11, not even commentating his own game (tekken 6).

So out of respect I voted yes. He may be disliked in the community, but he did his part when it matter most. And for that, I give him props. :)

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
His oki set ups and use of d1 definitely paved the way for modern smoke play but xsmokex and wafflez have refined smokes gameplay from combos to spacing and forcing mistakes.
When I first saw Wafflez on a stream a looong time ago, I swear to god, I thought he was an online player who was copying off of me cause he played a little too similarly, and I had been appearing frequently on online STB tourney streams at that time...lol.

Error

DF2+R2
He was definitely my favorite Smoke to watch back in the day. I remember when I first saw his teleport whiff combo, took me forever to figure it out.

McNasty

Moist.
When I first saw Wafflez on a stream a looong time ago, I swear to god, I thought he was an online player who was copying off of me cause he played a little too similarly, and I had been appearing frequently on online STB tourney streams at that time...lol.
Oh nice bro you going to take credit for his playstyle?

Gtfo with that online shit.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Oh nice bro you going to take credit for his playstyle?

Gtfo with that online shit.
Noooo. You misunderstand. I'm not saying I originated it. That was just a funny story; clearly, now I know I was dead wrong. lol.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that day 1 Smoke mains naturally developed that sort of playstyle, as it's the optimal form to win a match with the character. I don't think any individual player really refined the way he's played. That just makes it sound like everyone followed suit, and borrowed their playstyles--I certainly never did. =P

Aris is the original/godfather smoke and a evo season 2011 MK9 legend. He is in the first generation mk9 legend list with the likes of JOP, online tony, alex valle, Michelangelo, and ect for 2011 evo season. We need to start mk9 hallfame player list soon that covers the games entire life span up to this point so many legends. I am sure 16bit would agree with me.