What's new

Strategy Ares Space Control

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
The diagram below shows Ares' space control at any one point in time. It does not include any jump in attacks; hit-confirm-only-strings; certain specials (i.e. his teleport or any MBs)/traits (as these are obvious) or supers. Obviously it does not factor in frame data either.

Please note these are approximations and not 100% accurate (I don't have the actual hit box data and there's not a nice neutral stage to practice on; what you see is just stuff I've managed to figure out myself) Also, Ares' character model tends to move forwards with a lot of his attacks, making it more difficult to track his exact spacing. Anyway, here it is:

UPDATED: B,4 hit box adjusted.

Legend:

Red: Projectile
Red star: Impact zone of d,d,2.
Purple: Trait: Axe throw (sword is basically the same as his standard projectile)
Blue: Normals (e.g 1)
Orange: Command Normal (e.g b,2)

Notes:

* As a rough guide line: D,1 and standing 3 will hit 1 character space away (max distance). D,3 will hit 2 character spaces away (max distance). 2,2,3 string (the last part anyway) hits roughly 3 character spaces away (max distance)

* Majority of his attacks will hit 2 character spaces away - with a few landing before and after (the ones after are mainly follow ups or additional parts of strings)

* A lot of his moves overlap hence the massive cluster of blue and orange boxes overlapping (it looks messy I know, but that's the point!). But don't let that fool you; Ares covers a crap-ton of space with his normals (we're talking almost 3 character spaces away)

* Ares is more about taking space rather than controlling it seeing as he continually advances towards his opponents.

* His jump ins (not shown) have very good range - do not be fooled by the apparent empty space surrounding him!

* At full screen, d,d,2,f will land just in front of your opponent (so basically full screen); d,d 2 by itself lands roughly half of that. d,d,2,b lands basically in front of him.

* Overall, Ares has very good reach on the majority of his normals - don't let any empty space fool you...and don't anybody scream nerf/buff!

Chaosphere
Juggs
themule
MuhammedCFL

EDIT: Could a mod please put that little break through icon on the thread. Cheers!

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
The diagram below shows Ares' space control at any one point in time. It does not include any jump in attacks; hit-confirm-only-strings; certain specials/traits (as these are obvious) or supers. Obviously it does not factor in frame data either.

Please note these are approximations and not 100% accurate (I don't have the actual hit box data and there's not a nice neutral stage to practice on; what you see is just stuff I've managed to figure out myself) - Ares' character model tends to move forwards with a lot of his attacks, making it difficult to track his exact spacing. Anyway, here it is:

Legend:

Red: Projectile
Red star: Impact zone of d,d,2.
Purple: Trait (axe; sword is basically the same as his standard projectile)
Blue: Normals (e.g 1)
Orange: Command Normal (e.g b,2)

Notes:

* As a rough guide line: D,1 and standing 3 will hit 1 character space away (max distance). D,3 will hit 2 character spaces away (max distance). 2,2,3 string (the last part anyway) hits roughly 3 character spaces away (max distance)

* Majority of his attacks will hit 2 character spaces away - with a few landing before and after (the ones after are mainly follow ups or additional parts of strings)

* A lot of his moves overlap hence the massive cluster of blue and orange boxes overlapping (it looks messy I know, but that's the point!). But don't let that fool you; Ares covers a crap-ton of space with his normals (we're talking almost 2 character spaces away)

* Ares is more about taking space rather than controlling it seeing as he continually advances towards his opponents.

* His jump ins (not shown) have very good range - do not be fooled by the apparent empty space surrounding him!

* At full screen, d,d,2,f will land just in front of your opponent (so basically full screen); d,d 2 by itself lands roughly half of that. d,d,2,b lands basically in front of him.

* Overall, Ares has very good reach on the majority of his normals - don't let any empty space fool you...and don't anybody scream nerf/buff!

Chaosphere
Juggs
themule
MuhammedCFL
Possibly my favorite poster

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Is the trait projectile Axe (b4) factored in to this? It has a high hit box that catches jumping, the hit box you have just doesn't seem high enough.

Great post though.

teh_jawNie

Teh God Himself
if you play against someone with no projectiles u can just sit there with the axe or sword out on the ground or in the air basically like its a subzero ice clone lol just wait for them to come in and then pull the trigger

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
do one for catwoman lol
Cyborgs is next. I plan on doing everyone's but 1 a day is my limit ;) I'll get to them all eventually

Is the trait projectile Axe (b4) factored in to this? It has a high hit box that catches jumping, the hit box you have just doesn't seem high enough.

Great post though.
EDIT: Original post has now been updated. Thanks for the feedback and comments - much love to you all!

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
I'm going to leave MB's out for the time being as the whole point of the diagram is to show at any one point in the game, what options does your character have and how much space do they control.

Also, I'm lazy :p