What's new

General/Other Ares' best anti-air options?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
What have you guys found to be his best aa options? My list isn't in order of best to worst, just options I've found to be useful.

Grounded anti-air options

1.) d1 - I've been testing and against some characters, a simple d1 lowers your hit box enough to where you don't get hit by a jump in attack. Again this is character and situations specific. It also works for cross-up attempts, lowering your hit box enough to where their cross-up whifs.

2.) b1 - This is actually a pretty decent option. b1 moves you forward, so you essentially dodge the jump-in attack. If timed right, you can actually hit them out of the air, and then finish an air juggle combo. But if you mistime it and do it too early, you'll at least avoid their jump-in and maybe even have time to punish them with a throw. The only downside is doing it too late, which results in you being hit. b1 also is good for cross-up defense.

3.) d2 - This is his obvious aa option, but the start-up is rather slow. However it's not completely useless. If you do it early enough, you'll be able to knock them out of the air just fine.

4.) f2 - This acts similar to b1, it's just slower. A lot of Ares's anti-air options seem to be avoiding the jump-ins as oppose to beating them. However, at the right distance and timed correctly, f2 can also aa some opponents outright.

5.) d3 - d3 does what d1 does but a little better. d3 moves the hitbox forward a bit, which usually makes most cross-ups whifs. The problem is the recovery is rather slow, and they'll end up right next to you.

6.) b4 - b4 is Ares's trait which he tosses an axe across the screen. This catches jumpers from full screen as the hit box is really big. It's good to stop opponents from trying to advance on your zoning. It's not that good close range because the start-up is slow and the recovery is slower.

7, d4 - This is also Ares's trait, but it goes from bottom up vertically for an actual anti-air motion. The problem is the start-up is really slow, so doing this on reaction is near impossible.

8.) MB b3/f3 - This seems to be most characters best anti-air option. It eats the the jump-in attack, and scores you a combo attempt.

9.) Dash - A simple dash beats a lot of jump-ins since the dashes go far and the jumps take awhile.

Air-to-air anti-air options

1.) j1 - Jumping 1 has the most range out of all Ares's jumping attacks. However, it doesn't seem to have much priority. In fact, most of Ares's jumping attacks seem to never have priority to other jumping attacks.

2.) j2 - Jumping 2 seems to be his best air-to-air option. It has good range and decent priority.

3.) j3 - Jumping 3 is decent, but the range is really short. It does seem to have the most priority though.

Any other anti-airs you've been using, please post up!

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
I've being trying to use D2. it works, but the timing is strict since it's slow. ( you already said that in the OP but oh well :p)

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I use b13 alot to escape out of crossups or defend against. the range it has is awesome

Btw what about d4?

Also i think u can follow up d2 with b13

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I use b13 alot to escape out of crossups or defend against. the range it has is awesome

Btw what about d4?

Also i think u can follow up d2 with b13
b13 is pretty much the same thing as just b1. But the benefits of b1 are much greater. As in being able to actually hit them out of the air if timed right then you get an air juggle combo, and also, b1 puts in range for a throw attempt.

d4 is an "okay" option, but the start-up is really slow. Also, for the d2, you can TDC into d1 ~ d4 dark energy.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
b1, b4, and jump back 1 are my go-to's...the trick with jumping 1 is to hit them at the furthest point so it doesnt trade in their favor

LaR

Noob
b3 works against some jump ins if you space it right but i find his best aa to be j1.

LaR

Noob
4 is good by itself as an Anti-Air. I was using this a lot in the beginning, you should try it out.

Great start-up, and quick delivery.
That is a really good AA i never thought of doing. Also b4 seems to be just as good and seems to a have a much higher hitbox.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
Anyone else have better options?
just to let you and all else know the flash jumping 2 blows up any and all armored B3/F3 attempted to anti air Jumping 2, so you could add that a move you couldn't anti air the flash with.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
B4 is the best outside of jump back 1. I've also caught some people with rising axe into dark energy but it was more of a pre emptive move.

Standing 3 works too.

The whole front of his body becomes the hit box for the attack.

It works quite well against specific jump-ins.

What it has trouble on is long-range jump-in attacks.

Ares's b4 seems to be his best anti air. You can do it on reaction to a jump or you can use that time to space yourself accordingly. I'm still trying some more stuff though because b4 wastes his axe :(.

Ares's b4 seems to be his best anti air. You can do it on reaction to a jump or you can use that time to space yourself accordingly. I'm still trying some more stuff though because b4 wastes his axe :(.

Honesty, I only use his axe in combos anyway, so I'm fine with using it as anti-air.
The only other anti-airs i use are: Jumping 2 to get a combo and B1, 3 to get out of the way.
His anti-air options seem to be some of the worst in the game :(

The Gabriel

Mean Man
While I agree j1 is a great move, I'm also seeing it get stuffed more and more often. Like Scorpion's j3 has some weird ass hitbox where it will hit you even though the actual sword never really got near you.

j1 is still great for air to air when you're both aproaching in the neutral, but I'm finding that jump back 1 for anti-air up close or similar gets stuffed more often then not.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I haven't been able to play since the patch, is Ares' d2 more viable now?

The startup is much faster, people say the hitbox has been improved, but the recovery is about 33 frames. It's much better than before.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
hitbox is definitely improved, but start-up doesn't seem any faster to me. Batman's j2, scorpion's j1 etc still stuff it in real matches (can't really on training mode for this stuff guys).