What's new

Are we too demanding on NRS?

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
In terms of gameplay, yes. In terms of policy— no.
Making characters less sexualized just to sell more copies to sjw is bullshit. Blaming NRS for not giving you your favorite character is bullshit too.
So, 50/50

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
I'm not saying I thought the games were PERFECT mind you. Are there changes I'd like? Of course. But I still love MK and am grateful for the job they do and would never send them something as petty as a death threat over my few grievances. My favs are Scorpion and Kitana so although I was VERY dissappointed I still happily and eagerly played MK3 when it first came out because "NEW MK!!". Of course they announced UMK3 relatively soon so I didn't have to wait long but for a 13 yr old it was an eternity, lol.

Edit: Before someone says "Well they are such staples at least you knew they'd be added eventually." At that time DLC wasn't a thing and updates to arcade games were extremely rare outside of Street Fighter, lol. So NO I did not know that. They were dark uncertain times.

Last edited:

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
In terms of gameplay, yes. In terms of policy— no.
Making characters less sexualized just to sell more copies to sjw is bullshit. Blaming NRS for not giving you your favorite character is bullshit too.
So, 50/50

Anyway not to echo chamber here but I don't think TYM is too hard on NRS. The criticism being levied at them by most of the fans here are well thought out and for the betterment of the game as a whole. We have a few Anti-SJW and SJW fools bumbling around but the real meaty responses and feedback that NRS pays attention to are what matters. They aren't going to pay any mind to the flocks of seagulls vomiting feces at them over MUH STANS RAIN FUJIN SINDELL MILEENA. No matter what fighting game releases there will always be roster complaints unless you include everyone. Hell even for Sakurai over at Smash HQ, LITERALY EVERYONE, wasn't enough. People are still pissed about characters they felt should have been in but weren't and realistically never had a shot. That's kind of what gamers are like these days.

So in conclusion: Nah. We're cool with NRS as a whole. Some people gripe about Injusticey feeling or w/e and we have some Roster stans but... It's the troglodytes on twitter and this absolutely ridiculous SJW vs Anti-SJW shit that's got to stop.

MalevolentFix

Not too demanding, just too entitled.
I feel like while there is a case to be made for that sentiment I don't think you can broad stroke it like that. That definitely applies to the roster stans and the SJW/Anti-SJW window lickers though. The real criticism they're getting from people wanting custom variants in competition and the slow movement speed and the fact that dashing is slower than walking is important and less to do with entitlement and more to do with making sure the game is as fun as possible.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
It's the troglodytes on twitter and this absolutely ridiculous SJW vs Anti-SJW shit that's got to stop.
Having a sjw or anti ideologies are fine, but it's the way you bring them up that change how people perceive you. I think, as long as you have an open mind to see the other side then you'll be fine. Though I do see people on here debating just to debate and then they're like 'lol sjws are angry lol'.

I started at one extreme, then went to the other extreme and now I'm in the middle which to me is the more reasonable place to be as it leaves room to grow. I like to say that I'm just anti-BS. But ultimately I'd like for politics to just GTFO of our lives. Political debates have infected EVERYTHING, and it's freaking annoying. And it may be hypocritical for me to say this since my biggest success on YT has been because of politics, but now I just want to focus on talking about it from an objective point of view because that's how you really learn and grow.

MalevolentFix

Having a sjw or anti ideologies are fine, but it's the way you bring them up that change how people perceive you. I think, as long as you have an open mind to see the other side then you'll be fine. Though I do see people on here debating just to debate and then they're like 'lol sjws are angry lol'.

I started at one extreme, then went to the other extreme and now I'm in the middle which to me is the more reasonable place to be as it leaves room to grow. I like to say that I'm just anti-BS. But ultimately I'd like for politics to just GTFO of our lives. Political debates have infected EVERYTHING, and it's freaking annoying. And it may be hypocritical for me to say this since my biggest success on YT has been because of politics, but now I just want to focus on talking about it from an objective point of view because that's how you really learn and grow.
Like I just want to play the game and talk about it damn. Not everything is a conspiracy theory or whatever. Why does anyone who really plays MK give a damn about any of that. I'm trying to get enough damage on dudes to kick their skeleton out of their body from their groin.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I will never understand this "entitled" meme that seems to pop up specifically with video games (and maybe occasionally in film in recent years).

Can you imagine if this mentality was used in other markets? Like, imagine if someone tried to sell you a car without any air condition or radio, and when you complained about it saying you're not going to buy it if they don't put those in, they replied with, "You entitled little shit. The car works just fine. It's got a steering wheel, breaks, an engine. You want all this AND more? We worked really hard on this car and a million other people bought it, so maybe you should stop acting so entitled."

It's just mind-boggling to me. I assume it's because the video game industry is so extremely massive that they're able to almost force this kind of mentality on people. At the end of the day, we, the consumers, are "entitled" to whatever we demand, and it is the responsibility of the market to meet that demand if they want our money. Somehow this weird narrative is being pushed that the consumer is the one obligated to just accept things, and try to meet the producers' expectations.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Like I just want to play the game and talk about it damn. Not everything is a conspiracy theory or whatever. Why does anyone who really plays MK give a damn about any of that. I'm trying to get enough damage on dudes to kick their skeleton out of their body from their groin.
Amen. Who cares what they wear or who cares what this one guy working at NRS thinks? I just wanna bust some balls, yo.

MalevolentFix

I will never understand this "entitled" meme that seems to pop up specifically with video games (and maybe occasionally in film in recent years).

Can you imagine if this mentality was used in other markets? Like, imagine if someone tried to sell you a car without any air condition or radio, and when you complained about it saying you're not going to buy it if they don't put those in, they replied with, "You entitled little shit. The car works just fine. It's got a steering wheel, breaks, an engine. You want all this AND more? We worked really hard on this car and a million other people bought it, so maybe you should stop acting so entitled."

It's just mind-boggling to me. I assume it's because the video game industry is so extremely massive that they're able to almost force this kind of mentality on people. At the end of the day, we, the consumers, are "entitled" to whatever we demand, and it is the responsibility of the market to meet that demand if they want our money. Somehow this weird narrative is being pushed that the consumer is the one obligated to just accept things, and try to meet the producers' expectations.
I agree with this.

However: Calling yourself an MK fan and then not buying MK11 because it doesn't have one single character. Or Jade's bosom isn't in the GG cup range in a sling bikini, even though on all other accounts it's shaping up to be one of the best entires in the franchise.................Does kind of make you look like a self important whining little prick

Not that you are doing anything of the sort. But THAT is acting like an entitled child.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Are you one of the people who wants more boobies or you’re gonna cancel your preorder?
No, I’m one of those who hate hypocisy. I’m 22 married man, not a teenager. Even when I was a teenager these chicks weren’t more than cool fighting models to me, except maybe for Kitana.
My point being, that they changed that approach only to please SJW. If men start doing this stuff they won’t lift a finger to make characters more “real” and covered. Respect and maturity my ass. Namco are real dudes when it comes to this topic.
They didn’t care if sjw pressed them saying “Ivy dresses the way she likes, so gtfo”

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I agree with this.

However: Calling yourself an MK fan and then not buying MK11 because it doesn't have one single character. Or Jade's bosom isn't in the GG cup range in a sling bikini, even though on all other accounts it's shaping up to be one of the best entires in the franchise.................Does kind of make you look like a self important whining little prick

Not that you are doing anything of the sort. But THAT is acting like an entitled child.
I would say that's just acting like an idiot who was brainwashed to think that all change is bad and caused by the fabled and mythical feminists.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Nah, NRS isnt some indie company that's just starting up, they're a AAA stuidio thats been in the business for a while, don't pull any punches.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I mean using the criteria of the original question it's a hard no. NRS is looking to sell copies and make money so hyping up the game is par for the course. As far as "crunch" is concerned, it happens in a lot of industries so it's just the nature of the beast. That's only indirectly on the consumer though. Meeting deadlines of production is squarely on the studio and yeah it's super stressful and can mess with your health. That's not any kind of "fault" of the consumer.

I feel like while there is a case to be made for that sentiment I don't think you can broad stroke it like that.
True, but as noted in the quote below, it's one thing to offer constructive criticism, but to downright demand or expect something screams entitlement to me.

NRS or whomever is creating the game to their vision. While they might ask for some feedback it's still up to them to make the call on how the final product ends up. If they don't take that on board and you feel your input wasn't listened too so you act out buy not buying the game...again screams entitlement.

Even to the point of reveals, everyone wants everything NOW! And then starts complaining because it's not what they want/expected/enough etc... How about no? You'll get it when they've determined is the right time.

So i still think what i said is correct. Sure there's some degree of demand, but it's more about entitlement.

mikeraskol

Beverly Hills High Class of 2010 Valedictorian
No, I’m one of those who hate hypocisy. I’m 22 married man, not a teenager. Even when I was a teenager these chicks weren’t more than cool fighting models to me, except maybe for Kitana.
My point being, that they changed that approach only to please SJW. If men start doing this stuff they won’t lift a finger to make characters more “real” and covered. Respect and maturity my ass. Namco are real dudes when it comes to this topic.
They didn’t care if sjw pressed them saying “Ivy dresses the way she likes, so gtfo”
lmao

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
NRS is god and we are something like; '' ooo give me that character, put this move, delete this skin, remove that disgusting finish him screen freeze...'' amen...

Skedar70

Noob
Yes. Lots of people of the NRS community are like this. They talk about balance and refer to NRS developers as if they are incompetent. They focus in all the bad things and call the developers incompetent like if they could do anything better. I've seen people post "poorly designed" like if they have any idea what it takes to design a character for an FG.

I personally think NRS is the best fighting game developer out there. Everybody in the other fighting games are looking at what NRS does next to copy the ideas. Through the years we have seen how they innovate in their games. Examples are Story mode(MK9), character traits and clash(inj1), Variations (MKX) , Gears with stats and move customization (inj2).

Their games are also super polished in the graphics and arts perspective.

Lots of talented and hard work has been done to create these masterpieces and they deserve all the props.

This is why I moved away from tekken. Tekken has remained the same since Tekken 5 with only minor changes and graphical improvement.

D

Deleted member 35141

The problem isnt being to demanding in the sense most are mentioning here.
The issue is people reading too much into everything NRS says then calls them liars.
Also people throwing tantrums cause their fave characters missing is rediculous, I get it my main of the last 5 games wont be in but NRS has done a great job making all characters look great.

aj1701

Noob
So with the recent news that came out recently about how Bioware treated their employes during the production of Anthem and Andromeda, I got to seriously thinking about how our impatience causes pressure on game devs. They FORCED their workers to put out the game early, basically working them into depressions because they wanted it to come out this year. But if they would have given them a reasonable deadline, none of this would have happened. It's not normal for whole teams of people to get burned out and to lose passion for a thing they probably go into because of their love for video games. Companies only care about the CEOS making money and their investors making money, they don't care about the people who work themselves into a depression to give them all those luxuries.
Well, then that's a shitty employer. As gamers, there's actually no way we can force game developers to do anything. Whining on the internet can always be ignored.

And I've been at a company setting unrealistic deadlines for a software release. While it does suck, you always have options, including finding a better employer which is what I did. No one was forced, they chose to tolerate it for whatever reason.