What's new

Are We In a New Gaming Renaissance?

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
MAJOR differences from now from the past for one is the difficulty. Especially today you have maps for everything and usually unlimited lives and continues.

Stories in games were also better back then too and you seemed to have more of a variety. Offline games are no longer the focus but that's the way the world evolved
Well of course the general feel of games changed. I just mean to me personally it is all the same. There will always be games I enjoy... and there will always be games that I wont like. I mean I enjoyed difficult games in the past... now I am enjoying more casual games in the present. So whatever changes await... I am more than prepared. :p

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
The only game that can compete with the storytelling of a game like The Last of Us is something like Half-Life. Honestly games with stories that good are few and far between.

Even the 'mindless braindead' shooters of today have better stories than stuff like Quake.
Depends on what games you like. I have not played last of us yet (it's the next game for me in gamefly, no spoilers please I heard it's great) but games to me w/fantastic stories that are hard to beat:

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 7
Lunar Silver Star Story

Back then there was NOTHING for zombies, so if that's your thing then sure, nothing was better

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Depends on what games you like. I have not played last of us yet (it's the next game for me in gamefly, no spoilers please I heard it's great) but games to me w/fantastic stories that are hard to beat:

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 7
Lunar Silver Star Story

Back then there was NOTHING for zombies, so if that's your thing then sure, nothing was better
For sure -- but those are like once-in-a-generation greatest-of-all-times games. As far as the average game is concerned, even random action games like Uncharted 2 have better stories than say, the average game from the FF7 era. Nowdays it's customary to hire movie scripters and novel authors to do game story.. You almost wouldn't think about just 'winging it' for a major title.

Even Injustice has a story mode that's > the average game from previous generations.

Who played shooters for their stories?
To me a lot of the reply value in Half-Life is the entire experience. There are plenty of other shooters who's single player I'd never touch again.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Who played shooters for their stories?
On this point... Why would CoD/BF benefit from creating a story mode or single player mode? EVERYTIME They walk into the same criticism of seeming to be a shallow/short experience.
Would it not benefit them to just focus solely on MP aspect? Or do casuals who pick it up for the story really weigh that much into sales?

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
CrimsonShadow Stories today are better, but overall I just felt a lot of stories back then were different. Sure some were incredibly cheesy and stupid, but that's every generation. I just feel the overall quality and abundance of games that had superior story telling were back in the 90s, later and later the great games stood out more from the new generation. It probably helped the best RPG era was the 90s, early 2000s

chores

bad at things
To me a lot of the reply value in Half-Life is the entire experience. There are plenty of other shooters who's single player I'd never touch again.
I liked the story for Halflife 1 and 2. Some of those WW2 shooters had good stories CoD1 and Medal of Honor come to mind. Bioshock has a really good story. If you are ever bored and looking for a shooter with a decent story Quake 4 is actually surprisingly deep and you can pick it up during a steam sale for $5. The Jedi Knight series had good stories if you like star wars

For sure -- but those are like once-in-a-generation greatest-of-all-times games. As far as the average game is concerned, even random action games like Uncharted 2 have better stories than say, the average game from the FF7 era. Nowdays it's customary to hire movie scripters and novel authors to do game story.. You almost wouldn't think about just 'winging it' for a major title.

Even Injustice has a story mode that's > the average game from previous generations.

Halo 3 was the only shooter that I ever enjoyed the story but most of the stories I just ignore so I guess that doesn't count for much