What's new

Arcade Stick showroom

Thanks! I'll try to get the bezel done soon so I can post the completed cab pics. Right now it's flat black but I've been contemplating something else for the paint scheme. See if I get any motivation to do that this weekend

Davey_8000 said:
That looks extremely nice. Is that PS3 MKII you got running or MAME?

Nice drumset too
It's MAME. When I was growing up I wanted nothing more than an MKII cab so I figured why just get one game when I can have them all! Spent an hour or so last night getting reacquainted with some Killer Instinct :)

Thanks on the set. It's a Mapex M Birtch 7 piece set. Me digs it!

T1xNeo

Noob
Full happ mod with a SF anny stick. by me.

My newly modded MASSYSTEMS stick. custom paint and Full happ parts. by me.

Noob
My Arcade In A Box dual system hybrid stick. Happ comp stick and convex buttons, American SF layout with dedicated run button for MK. 360 and PS3

My MAS Systems stick. Happ comp stick and convex buttons. PS1/2

My custom modded Pelican Real Arcade stick for Xbox. Gutted, all parts replaced with Happ comp parts, xbox pcb replaced with ps1 pcb that I soldered/wired myself. This is the first stick that I customized myself.

My custom dedicated UMK3 stick for Xbox 360. Happ comp stick and convex buttons.

I have 3 more but I need to take pics. I have 2 Dreamcast Agetecs and a Saturn Virtua Stick(japanese one based on the Astro City layout).

Davey_8000 said:
you can check Arcade-in-a-box, which many of the regulars here from UMK.com will vouch for as very high quality sticks (and they have a MK button layout).

Man you just made my day with this info! But does anyone know what kind of gate the MK2 arcade machines originally had? Is it the octo?

dubson

Noob
Davey_8000 said:
does anyone know what kind of gate the MK2 arcade machines originally had? Is it the octo?
Circle gates came stock in all MK arcade machines.

I half way prefer octo for most 2d fighting games (I prefer square gate for charge characters, but that is it. I prefer octo for all else), but with MK I prefer the standard circle to octo because there is more throw distance at basic points with an octo, opposed to a circle gate.

Basically, its just a little more stick work. But if you are used to an original MK arcade machine you will certainly feel the difference.

MK games have moves like forward, forward and back, back, so on an octo you REALLY have to make sure you hit that forward, forward or else it wont come out. A circle gate is a little more lenient, make it the most preferred gate for MK players.

dubson said:
Circle gates came stock in all MK arcade machines.

I half way prefer octo for most 2d fighting games (I prefer square gate for charge characters, but that is it. I prefer octo for all else), but with MK I prefer the standard circle to octo because there is more throw distance at basic points with an octo, opposed to a circle gate.

Basically, its just a little more stick work. But if you are used to an original MK arcade machine you will certainly feel the difference.

MK games have moves like forward, forward and back, back, so on an octo you REALLY have to make sure you hit that forward, forward or else it wont come out. A circle gate is a little more lenient, make it the most preferred gate for MK players.
Thank you for clearing that all up Dubson. I think next tax return I'm getting one from arcade-in-a-box with the circle gate. 1 more year!
I checked their site again and I didn't see a circle gate. The competition one looks familiar though....

dubson

Noob
ten-peace-show said:
Thank you for clearing that all up Dubson. I think next tax return I'm getting one from arcade-in-a-box with the circle gate. 1 more year!
I checked their site again and I didn't see a circle gate. The competition one looks familiar though....
No problem. Arcade-in-a-box does great work and is your best bet for an authentic MK style stick.

The Happ Competition joysticks are circle gate.

You are going to want it made just like 9.95's but with an MK style layout (block in the middle) instead of a Street Fighter layout.

9.95 said:
Happ comp stick and convex buttons
Original MK arcade machines came stock with Happ comp sticks and convex buttons.

Thanks again Dubson for the clarification. I saw they had MK style and got pumped cause I thought I'd have to change the button configuration.It's key that they rock the MK layout. I was thinking Sanwa buttons but I don't think it will make any difference other than more money spent.

dubson

Noob
ten-peace-show said:
Thanks again Dubson for the clarification. I saw they had MK style and got pumped cause I thought I'd have to change the button configuration.It's key that they rock the MK layout. I was thinking Sanwa buttons but I don't think it will make any difference other than more money spent.
Ya know, I am about to get an MK stick as well from AIAB here sometime soon, and was thinking of getting Sanwa buttons over Convex also. I really like Sanwa buttons, and my other 2 sticks have Sanwa. Sanwa really does make the best buttons, in my opinion. They are super sensitive, which can be quite helpful. Often times just the lightest tap on the button is enough for the move to come out.

Either will be fine, but I think as far as gate goes you will be happiest with Happ Comp and obviously as you stated the MK layout is key.

If you get Sanwa buttons, or if anyone who reads this has Sanwa buttons on their MK stick, lemme know how you like em.

X820

Noob
dubson said:
Ya know, I am about to get an MK stick as well from AIAB here sometime soon, and was thinking of getting Sanwa buttons over Convex also. I really like Sanwa buttons, and my other 2 sticks have Sanwa. Sanwa really does make the best buttons, in my opinion. They are super sensitive, which can be quite helpful. Often times just the lightest tap on the button is enough for the move to come out.

Either will be fine, but I think as far as gate goes you will be happiest with Happ Comp and obviously as you stated the MK layout is key.

If you get Sanwa buttons, or if anyone who reads this has Sanwa buttons on their MK stick, lemme know how you like em.
I know from my stick building days that sanwa controls actually are better then HAPP in terms of response, so buttons react faster to input then the HAPP ones. Same with the sticks.

Nonetheless I used ALL HAPP controls on my MK stick back then, to play like on the actual arcade :)

Sidenote: The HAPP Perfect 360 stick and the 49-Way Joystick Assy are pure awesomeness!

These sticks are optical, meaning no clicking sounds from the microswitches, also they are smoother..

dubson

Noob
X820 said:
I know from my stick building days that sanwa controls actually are better then HAPP in terms of response, so buttons react faster to input then the HAPP ones. Same with the sticks.

Nonetheless I used ALL HAPP controls on my MK stick back then, to play like on the actual arcade :)

Sidenote: The HAPP Perfect 360 stick and the 49-Way Joystick Assy are pure awesomeness!

These sticks are optical, meaning no clicking sounds from the microswitches, also they are smoother..
So what would your optimal MK stick have on it?

I assume Happ stick and Sanwa buttons?

I don't know if it is possible to frankenstein a Sanwa stick with a Happ or any sort of circle restrictor plate but it sounds to me like it may be awesome.

Sanwa makes great joysticks but I am unaware if you can get a circle restrictor gate on one.

X820

Noob
Well, If I were to build or buy another stick, I would most prob go for all Happ controls again, Competition joystick and convex buttons (concave CAN make your fingers tired and be annoying atthe same time when you don't press them in the middle).

But a HAPP joystick with sanwa buttons would most def work :)

For sanwa sticks there are a few restrictors..

This makes a Sanwa JLF make it seem like an American joystick by making it "cornerless."

You may want to check out this

It's a page containing info about restrictors and what not.

Also check www.lizardlickamusements.com for available products, wich may help you on your way aswell.

wow i need to check that shit out!...

i have all square gate sticks for my sticks but i realize that it is much easier to play MK on octogates because of the moves. but when i do grab my stick from AIAB i will have Happ top and Sanwa buttons ( i like the responsiveness and how quiet the stick is) also when i custom build my stick i will leave the American style layout over the MK layout because i am more comfortable

Tim Static

Adminerator
concave for MK/Marvel

convex for SF/SNK

and honestly, i grew up playing in AMERICAN arcades so I prefer american buttons and bat top sticks

dubson

Noob
Tim Static said:
i grew up playing in AMERICAN arcades so I prefer american buttons and bat top sticks
Me too, and I also prefer bat tops.

All 4 of my arcade sticks have bat tops on them. Even my square gate.