What's new

Video/Tutorial Aquaman's D+2 vs. MMH's Overhead Tele

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I apologize if this is old news. I'm not really an Aquaman main (although I do play him regularly) but I thought I'd post this anyway.

I remember playing MK3 and UMK3 against my buddy who used Sheeva a lot. Eventually I found that characters with good uppercuts could uppercut Sheeva out of her teleport. I decided to see if this strategy still worked. Turns out...it does. It's quite easy with Aquaman, and although not as easy with other characters, it is possible with all. I was getting it about 8 out of 10 times after practicing for a bit, so I'm sure the top players would be even more consistent. I miss the full combo punish a couple times, but you can see how easy it can be. Sorry for the potato quality video...

RIF

Noob
Sinestro can also do this with his D2, however, the timing restrictions are much tighter due to the smaller hitbox and speed on his version.

Pyronn

Noob
That overhead teleport isn't so safe anymore :) - good find. Full combo punish for it, but this will take interesting reflexes and reads.

John Grizzly

That overhead teleport isn't so safe anymore :) - good find. Full combo punish for it, but this will take interesting reflexes and reads.
It's definitely an offline only thing, I'd imagine. It needs to be done very early, as you can see. After about 30 minutes in practice mode, I was getting it pretty consistently. You want to hit MMH with the end of Aquaman's D+2 animation, essentially. Like anything else, it just takes some practice. Not sure if this will be viable or not, but it's something to consider, at the very least.

Pyronn

Noob
It's definitely an offline only thing, I'd imagine. It needs to be done very early, as you can see. After about 30 minutes in practice mode, I was getting it pretty consistently. You want to hit MMH with the end of Aquaman's D+2 animation, essentially. Like anything else, it just takes some practice. Not sure if this will be viable or not, but it's something to consider, at the very least.
Your Mortal Kombat association and passive reflexes are on par. I find my self doing the d+2 out of habit sometimes even though I don't spam it. Hell - more finds like this are always welcomed. I'm tired of hearing MMH being blown up. I'm maining Zod, and Aquaman is my alt, but I find alot of people are trying to level up their MMH in the mid to somewhat high tier to understand or abuse him. This find put a smile on my face :joker:. With Zod Vs MMh online I usually catch people on dash grabs or dash in low/high mix ups, or spam side arm MB'd to slow down the overhead spam. Performing your version will make them back down and truly reconsider it lol but like you said practice, practice, and moar practice.

Last edited:

T4T|Nevan

"Burn baby! Burn!"
This be really gud! Great find! I'll have to explore what I can do aswell vs MMH with D2 of my characters, Superman/Lex. Superman has a away to beat that aswell, but this d2 thing is gud.

I'm just afraid of the downplayers, yeah you know who you are, to come here and tell us that this isn't possible on reaction and that a 'pro' MMH will beat this. LMAO

RIF

Noob
This doesn't change MMH's placing as the number one character in the game. Against bad-mediocre MMH players, this will come in handy much like the MB B3 tech. However, the guessing game is always in MMH's favor. He can choose to build meter with his zoning options and force you to move in. You have to play at his pace. There is nothing stopping him from throwing out the ground teleport with this tech. I have to listen to the latest KCP podcast with Reo to listen to how he fights Aquaman to see if this is relevant in that particular match-up.

Against MMH, the odds on guessing are never in your favor.

Pyronn

Noob
Not true. If you listen to Pig's response you have to rush him down, so will mixing it up and hopefully landing good reads you need to pressure his ass. Granted nothing is 100 %, but if you can cripple or hinder a functionality you can generate errors or openings in one's play style. There are various styles, and not all MMH players are the same and you can't assume people play all MMH on Reo's level.

I've played alot of average MMH players and some fairly decent and have yet to get completely ruined by this character with Zod. I mix up his zoning, and favor rush downs with trait out. It's pretty fun to see how they respond when a floating midget behind them is tapping their ass while I move in. Some adapt, but this means you have to also. Leaving MMH full screen to build meter is assinine and a poor choice for whoever fights him. Just don't make patterns and reads against yourself moving in.

Last edited:

John Grizzly

This doesn't change MMH's placing as the number one character in the game. Against bad-mediocre MMH players, this will come in handy much like the MB B3 tech. However, the guessing game is always in MMH's favor. He can choose to build meter with his zoning options and force you to move in. You have to play at his pace. There is nothing stopping him from throwing out the ground teleport with this tech. I have to listen to the latest KCP podcast with Reo to listen to how he fights Aquaman to see if this is relevant in that particular match-up.

Yeah, I'm not saying MMH isn't still S-tier, but this could help. As far as reactions go, this isn't much different than trying a MB B+3. It's actually possible to do it TOO soon. There is a timing to it. I guarantee anyone who sits in practice for a bit will at least be able to do this consistently with Aquaman. I personally tried it with Lobo and Bane, as well, and it was possible, but a lot harder.

T4T|Nevan

"Burn baby! Burn!"
Aaaaaaaaaaaand here is the 1st one ahah

Now seriously, this option does not make MMH weaker, but it strenghthens your options against him. This is what you should do when you up with a 'wall' in your path, you just don't quit, you try to find ways to break that wall. Yeah MMH is a great character but we can't surrender to that, people are and should, like this thread, find ways to counter something.

Keep it up everyone.

Venom 88

VenomSuave
ibelieve this is old one of the buffs they gave his tele is that nothing can hit him out of now you use to not anymore not sure tho

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
ibelieve this is old one of the buffs they gave his tele is that nothing can hit him out of now you use to not anymore not sure tho
But the video was made December 3rd of this year....

Also on a somewhat related note, WW can d2 DD out of his Supernova, but you have to have balls of steel to prefer that to a simple dash. There's a lot in this game that people don't know. Partially due to lack of implementation and practicality, and partially due to others not labbin' it up.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
This isn't entirely new, but I do like that this has been brought to the table for open discussion.

I can buy Aquaman nailing a consistent d2 punish against Martian Manhunter's overhead teleport, as well as Wonder Woman and Sinestro, but for this option to be possible for all characters? I'd like to see a video of characters like Batman and Nightwing countering the teleport with their d2s. I tried it with Batman before and after the patch with no luck.

Also, I believe this is to be done on the assumption that Martian Manhunter will throw out the overhead teleport rather than the underside one. Here's a little positive here: the underside teleport comes out faster than the overhead one, and since holding down is how you crouch-block in this game, your character might block the underside teleport before you can input the d2, thus granting you a punish. However, if you hit d2 way too early, the teleport will hit you.

I'll try practicing this again and see what I get. Thanks for posting the video. :)

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
The buff was to the hitbox in the air so it will strike you higher up. Nothing about not hitting him out of it at all though.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
I use this A LOT actually..

Because he is so high after the D+2, you can B3 for even more damage. You get 35% with one bar, 28% with no meter, or 18% unclashable. The unclashable punish helps a lot in those close matches.
A theory popped into my head; since you have to connect it at the tip of the trident, this would allude to you having to do it a little quickly, no? Would that then, mean that if the MMH used the regular teleport, since you're already ducking from the d motion in the d2, would you block the teleport and punish it anyway if it wasn't the overhead version? (Therefore covering both your bases)

EDIT: After testing it myself, you WILL block it, but the 2 won't come out. The move's still full combo punishable, though so it's still a good thing. The bad thing is that it's finicky...

Last edited: