What's new

Match-up Discussion Aquaman Matchup Discussion

If Superman does his f23 into ice breath on block, and goes for another f23, you can b12 before his f23 comes out. If he back dashes after ice breath, you can ground spike to punish. After a blocked air laser, you can punish with ground spike.

Raven is a tough match-up if she has the life lead. You can't do anything full screen against her. She can punish ground spike on block. But at the same time, if you have the life lead there's not much she can do either, she has to come to you. So it's about even I think.

I've been having trouble against Doomsday more than anyone really. Shazam also seems to be a little tough for Aquaman.
Could you kindly explain vs Doomday, Shazam matchup please? Because whether or not Shazam's are my best matchup's *along side Wonder Woman and Batman. I guess its character specific?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Merged the MU discussion threads together.

Could you kindly explain vs Doomday, Shazam matchup please?
Just was having a hard time against these characters. Haven't got to really explore the MU very much though, so I can't really comment on it yet.

Because whether or not Shazam's are my best matchup's *along side Wonder Woman and Batman. I guess its character specific?
I don't know what you were trying to say here, lol.

If Superman does his f23 into ice breath on block, and goes for another f23, you can b12 before his f23 comes out. If he back dashes after ice breath, you can ground spike to punish. After a blocked air laser, you can punish with ground spike.
Great stuff! So many Supermans spam that string and knowing Aquaman can punish the second for full combo is amazing. That really neutralizes a lot of what Superman can do. He obviously isn't going to the air against Aquaman so his options are to stay neutral, or jump buack and fire a close range projectile (which is very bad), or to back dash (which is also very bad).

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
I played Alioune's Cyborg last night, and I think the matchup is like 6-4 to Cyborg. I won 1 match and lost like 15 with Aquaman lol. First of all I have never fought a Cyborg of that caliber before Alioune, so it took sometime to "adapt", but even then it was really hard.

I started to understand where I could dash to gain space, and when to trident, but even when hitting with trident, there is most likely a projectile in the air on the way towards you, so you will trade and Cyborg can start zoning again. I would also try to use the water shield to deal with the fireball zoning, but it didn't really get my anywhere. There is always a fireball on the way towards you, so even if you absorb a few, there is anotherone waiting when you dash out. Also, his missiles does damage to you even when you have your shield out.

I do see the potential when Aqua finally gets in though, but you need to capitalize on the openings you get every time, because if you don't Cyborg has a string that pushes you away and is safe, and also his grapple that is invincible until the end (armor?) and he can attack/fireball out of it, so a lot of the time it is a free escape from the corner if you get too close without being ready for it. He also has an uppercut like wake up move, so be carefull to pressure him on wake up.

The reason why I lost 15-1 but think it is only 6-4, is because I got too desperate and dropped stuff when I got close. I also think it's extremely important to be aware of your combo choice and always end it with Cyborg between you and the corner. I wasn't able to do this because it takes its toll to fight your way in for 40 sec. and I get desperate.

It doesn't help that my execution for the air trident toss is like 50% at best (I hate the precise input for half circle forward, and I need SF controls to do d1 without getting accidental special moves lol)

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Disregarding the infinite, do you still think it is cyborg favor? I feel like it could be even, but who knows at this point.
idk it depends. If cyborg still has fast enough fireballs or if they stay the same speed with just less block stun then it might still be in his favor. It all depends on how they take the infinite away. If they make his fireballs slower and longer recovery then aquaman can use ground trident. It just all depends on the nerf.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
I played Alioune's Cyborg last night, and I think the matchup is like 6-4 to Cyborg. I won 1 match and lost like 15 with Aquaman lol. First of all I have never fought a Cyborg of that caliber before Alioune, so it took sometime to "adapt", but even then it was really hard.

I started to understand where I could dash to gain space, and when to trident, but even when hitting with trident, there is most likely a projectile in the air on the way towards you, so you will trade and Cyborg can start zoning again. I would also try to use the water shield to deal with the fireball zoning, but it didn't really get my anywhere. There is always a fireball on the way towards you, so even if you absorb a few, there is anotherone waiting when you dash out. Also, his missiles does damage to you even when you have your shield out.

I do see the potential when Aqua finally gets in though, but you need to capitalize on the openings you get every time, because if you don't Cyborg has a string that pushes you away and is safe, and also his grapple that is invincible until the end (armor?) and he can attack/fireball out of it, so a lot of the time it is a free escape from the corner if you get too close without being ready for it. He also has an uppercut like wake up move, so be carefull to pressure him on wake up.

The reason why I lost 15-1 but think it is only 6-4, is because I got too desperate and dropped stuff when I got close. I also think it's extremely important to be aware of your combo choice and always end it with Cyborg between you and the corner. I wasn't able to do this because it takes its toll to fight your way in for 40 sec. and I get desperate.

It doesn't help that my execution for the air trident toss is like 50% at best (I hate the precise input for half circle forward, and I need SF controls to do d1 without getting accidental special moves lol)
FYI cyborg can perform his block infinite on aquaman so you have to consider that too. Not sure if or when they will patch it but once people get better at hitting the iafb you won't be able to do anything really.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I don't get what people are saying "you can b12 between f23 breath into another f23". No you can't. If you are able to do it then it is the superman mistiming it.

Go in training and test it. You have to make sure youre also timing the f23 breath right though (as with anything)

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
FYI cyborg can perform his block infinite on aquaman so you have to consider that too. Not sure if or when they will patch it but once people get better at hitting the iafb you won't be able to do anything really.
Yeah I know. I was just curious about your thoughts on that. For sure it is cyborg favor with it.

Gizmo235

Noob
Is it just me or does toggling spoilers on first page not work... I can see the tip of the first letter then it stops expanding.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Okay let's talk Nightwing, specifically staff stance. What the hell haha. So it turns out his ground slam (db2) is plus on block, he can ex for another hit thats even more plus on block (actually gives him another ground slam), and it recovers really fast. Honestly the only thing I have been able to come up with is to jump around like an idiot. I mean up close, the fight is really even, but I have to work crazy hard to get in, which I wasn't expecting. Any ideas?

EDIT: Okay I worked with it in training mode some. Looks like Nightwings tracking on his ground blast is pretty bad. If you read a ground slam you can dash, causing it to whiff, and then punish from with your own FTD.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I don't get what people are saying "you can b12 between f23 breath into another f23". No you can't. If you are able to do it then it is the superman mistiming it.

Go in training and test it. You have to make sure youre also timing the f23 breath right though (as with anything)
Maybe because when I tested it I could b12 before Supermans next f23? It's not like you can test everything perfectly in training mode especially block strings.

Clamper

Noob
I was playing against a friend who uses Green Lantern and we found some strange stuff. He did his combo on me and in the end of it the damage scaling and hsd simply reset. We tested a bit in the training and found out this happen if you have the Aquaman trait on while he does his wall bounce. I'll record a video of this strange reset bug meanwhile dont activate your trait against Green Lantern while you're being comboed.

Clamper

Noob
Why would you trait there? Anyway, interesting find, but not a big deal.
I actually didnt traited in the middle of the combo when this happened during the real match. I realized i was unsafe too late during the footsies and activated the trait just a very brief moment after he got me with b1. It was my fault for activating it late of course.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Okay, Grundy. WTF do you do against Grundy? This is the only match-up I can't handle for shit right now. I thought meterburn trident rush would deal with a lot of his armor but surprisingly, it does not. I still just get grabbed.

I'm really finding fuck-all reason to even press buttons against this dude. Running away isn't that good either. Every blocked trident is just a free dash in for him and it's not like I don't have to deal with Swamp Hands at that range either.

Really just feels like his own jumping is the only thing Grundy has to worry about in this match, and that other than that, he can just do literally whatever the fuck he wants.

I still can't believe he can armor through trident rush.