What's new

Anyone read any good comics recently?

JLI was a trainwreck of potential. They had most of the original cast and then decided to throw it away with cheap deaths (Rocket Red) then more cheap deaths/drama with that explosion at the conference or whatever. Then had Boosters last words before fading into the time stream be "Oh no, Wonder Woman and Superman are banging, that's bad!"
Seriously? That can't be real...

Yeah I heard nothing but bad things about the title as a whole so I never even thought about picking it up.

Zero-Shift

B-List Hero
That's fair. I just like a more grounded kid who makes mistakes and is learning his way through them. But in all fairness, a lot of the New 52 has required patience to let itself build up steam. Especially Justice League. I love that book now but it took awhile if sticking with it to get there. But I love Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and all of them have had excellent solo books so I've been lucky.

How was Booster Gold in JLI? Did you ever read that? Supposedly the government is trying to track him down in the time stream for something?
Wonder Woman and Aquaman are the only solo books from New 52 I'm actually digging a lot right now. Really solid. As for new JLI, I haven't gotten around to it yet so I can't comment. Considering it was cancelled so fast I'm not really expecting much from it or from Booster, especially if everything Booster did from 52 onwards is thrown out the window.

JLI was a trainwreck of potential. They had most of the original cast and then decided to throw it away with cheap deaths (Rocket Red) then more cheap deaths/drama with that explosion at the conference or whatever. Then had Boosters last words before fading into the time stream be "Oh no, Wonder Woman and Superman are banging, that's bad!"

*Curls into fetal position, rocking back and forth cradling my Giffen JLI paperbacks.*

Wonder Woman and Aquaman are the only solo books from New 52 I'm actually digging a lot right now. Really solid. As for new JLI, I haven't gotten around to it yet so I can't comment. Considering it was cancelled so fast I'm not really expecting much from it or from Booster, especially if everything Booster did from 52 onwards is thrown out the window.

*Curls into fetal position, rocking back and forth cradling my Giffen JLI paperbacks.*
Yeah I love both of those books, and Batman. I've enjoyed JLA too for some solid Martian Manhunter action. As well as Hawkman. But yeah, I can't say from what I've heard that I can recommend JLI lol. If I remember correctly, Johns loves Booster so maybe he'll have some sort of cool time-travel arc featuring him in JLA or something? Keep hope alive, my friend haha.

Mt Mutombo

Banned
Sinestro Corps. World War Hulk is just everyone jobbing to Hulk to make him seem badass and the stories with Hulk off Earth were a lot better.
To be completely honest, i considered WWHulk just cause of the hype. I hate Hulk with a passion, i shed tears of joy when wolverine killed him in Old Man Logan. Any suggestions on other instances were Hulk gets put in his place are welcome.:)

And i plead guilty when i say that i've read almost everything GL from these past few years and still haven't touched Sinestro Corps War. Guess i know have something to keep me busy for the next week.

Reedoms

Noob
And i plead guilty when i say that i've read almost everything GL from these past few years and still haven't touched Sinestro Corps War. Guess i know have something to keep me busy for the next week.
To really get the full story on Sinestro Corps, I suggest reading Emerald Dawn/Twilight to see where Hal started and ended and why Parallax is a big deal. It's also good for setting up the Hal/Sinestro dynamic.

CCVengeance

The one guy hoping for Kai
Recently read:
-Harbinger: Execellent comic.The characters are great and watching them together is a joy.Also the guy who writes it,Joshua Dysart,has the coolest name ever.Introduced me to the rest of the new Valiant but this is the one I recommend the most since it's the most superheroish.
-Shadowman: My second favorite from Valiant.
-Invincible:The gore man,the gore.Mark Grayson has suffered: Compound skull fractures,Completely broken arms and legs with bones sticking out,Has broken his nose in all his fights,Has lost enough blood to feed a vampire country,Head particially crushed...then his decoy got his head crushed AND in another fight got his intestines ripped out of him.Other injuries to other characters was Mark's brother getting his lower jaw mutilated,His dad getting punched so hard his eyeball was left dangling out of the socket AND my personal favorite is Invincible headbutting a guy so hard he made his face explode...and the guy lived!

Mt Mutombo

Banned
To really get the full story on Sinestro Corps, I suggest reading Emerald Dawn/Twilight to see where Hal started and ended and why Parallax is a big deal. It's also good for setting up the Hal/Sinestro dynamic.
Thanks man!

Definitely will take a look at that!

Reedoms

Noob
-Invincible:The gore man,the gore.Mark Grayson has suffered: Compound skull fractures,Completely broken arms and legs with bones sticking out,Has broken his nose in all his fights,Has lost enough blood to feed a vampire country,Head particially crushed...then his decoy got his head crushed AND in another fight got his intestines ripped out of him.Other injuries to other characters was Mark's brother getting his lower jaw mutilated,His dad getting punched so hard his eyeball was left dangling out of the socket AND my personal favorite is Invincible headbutting a guy so hard he made his face explode...and the guy lived!
Murderman is one of my favorite Image comics coming out right now next to Chew.
Viltrumite War.jpg

haketh

Noob
I gotta say though, as much as I'm bugged Wally is gone and the change to Barry's origin the Flash comics have been consistently good and the reimagined Rogues are well done. Now if only Johns could write Barry well in JL.

Reedoms

Noob
I gotta say though, as much as I'm bugged Wally is gone and the change to Barry's origin the Flash comics have been consistently good and the reimagined Rogues are well done. Now if only Johns could write Barry well in JL.
Johns can't write anything he doesn't actually enjoy. GL and Aquaman are douchebags in JL but in their own books they are written pretty well.

Reedoms

Noob
Aquaman? I haven't noticed him being bad at all in JL. Hal on the other hand.... Dear God. I can't stand him.
Aquaman is just sorta a dick. Not in his usual sovereign ruler way either, just straight up pushing people around and being a douche like when Superman was trying to get Orm to stop fucking up 'Murrica and Aquaman just decks him through a wall. Then in his own book you've got him being humble and understanding.

Aquaman is just sorta a dick. Not in his usual sovereign ruler way either, just straight up pushing people around and being a douche like when Superman was trying to get Orm to stop fucking up 'Murrica and Aquaman just decks him through a wall. Then in his own book you've got him being humble and understanding.
Oh I see. Well in all fairness they were kinda being dicks to him at that moment. That whole particular exchange was by far the weakest moment of Throne of Atlantis, so I don't hold it against him. And that's really the only time I remember him being dick-ish. Hal is just perpetually a douche which is odd considering that's who Johns spent a solid length of time and energy on during his career. The strange thing is, I actually miss his presence from the team.

And the WORST offense regarding this is with Wonder Woman. According to Johns, she's some brutal bitch who can barely contain herself from decapitating the nearest jaywalker for their grievous misdeeds. Oh and she makes out with Superman sometimes. But in her solo book she's about love, loyalty, and building a family.

Reedoms

Noob
And the WORST offense regarding this is with Wonder Woman. According to Johns, she's some brutal bitch who can barely contain herself from decapitating the nearest jaywalker for their grievous misdeeds. Oh and she makes out with Superman sometimes. But in her solo book she's about love, loyalty, and building a family.
Yea, I kinda wish him and Azzarello would collaborate a bit. She went from being buddy-buddy with Hephaestus to wanting to choke the fuck out of him since Superman was in trouble even though he had nothing to do with it.

Zero-Shift

B-List Hero
Johns really just isn't a very deep writer. Sure, he's semi-competent and he carries his heavy work load more gracefully than, say, Bendis, but ultimately he just writes big, dumb, bombastic action plots and you'll be lucky if any characters have any more depth than a cardboard cut-out. I would also think his frequent "Geoff-cons" would suggest he has absolutely no respect for what anybody else has ever done with a character. It's only by some miracle Aquaman is actually above average.

I'm honestly not even sure how I stuck it out with Green Lantern, or got any modicum of enjoyment out of it. I don't like Hal. When Johns writes him he's either a Gary Stu with daddy issues or a reprehensible prick who gets away with WAY more crap than he has any right to.

Reedoms

Noob
Johns really just isn't a very deep writer. Sure, he's semi-competent and he carries his heavy work load more gracefully than, say, Bendis, but ultimately he just writes big, dumb, bombastic action plots and you'll be lucky if any characters have any more depth than a cardboard cut-out.
It's funny you mention that with an avatar of Booster Gold.

Iron Angel

“I WILL PROTECT THE INNOCENT.”
I just read the 3rd issue of Superman Unchained today. I've got to say that I honestly think that Scott Snyder is my favorite comic writer so far. I loved all of his runs on Batman, I loved his work on Swamp Thing, and now his Superman is so epic, it feels like a big Superman book, which is the way it should be.