What's new

Question - Liu Kang Anyone know if any top guys still play liu kang?

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Hitbox Godspeed was using something similar to it on stream against Nivek just yesterday. Watch for it at EVO.
he also beat my ass and immediately sent me to losers bracket, jesus christ i got fucked up by his liu kang.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Liu has a 6f f1 and a 9 frame mid.

Most pokes are fairly negative on block, meaning that b1 should beat out most characters follow up off a blocked poke. F1 will 100% beat out someone mashing a string after a blocked poke but will lose to another poke, b1 should beat that. Don't know where this idea of a bad counterpoking game comes from.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Liu has a 6f f1 and a 9 frame mid.

Most pokes are fairly negative on block, meaning that b1 should beat out most characters follow up off a blocked poke. F1 will 100% beat out someone mashing a string after a blocked poke but will lose to another poke, b1 should beat that. Don't know where this idea of a bad counterpoking game comes from.
It's because they go up against online counterpoking which consists of someone mashing D1 10 times on block.

In reality his counterpoking game isn't terrible but it's not very good(pokewise). Your best option is to go for F213 pressure after a blocked poke.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
he also beat my ass and immediately sent me to losers bracket, jesus christ i got fucked up by his liu kang.
I wouldn't feel bad about it. No one knew. How do you prepare for something that almost no one even knew existed?

I can't wait for EVO MKX. Godspeed and Nivek were playing some epic matches. I also can't wait to see how Ketchup's Quan and Mustard's Shinnok have evolved. Plus, Pig has been quietly improving exponentially. Then, YOMI versus Sonic Fox. DJT was just bowling over everyone with Jax recently. He's got a 68% combo now - and he was landing it with consistency. Its going to be insane. YOMI also has a Goro player that's going to show everyone how to play him. I've never been so excited to watch a tourney. PL, Foxy, Mitsownes, MIT, REO, and so many just absolute killers out there. This scene is must-see-TV right now. This tournament SHOULD be on Spike TV. Not enough people know about Twitch yet.

Last edited:

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
Never did i say anything about using d3 as a counter poking option lol. Where did you get that from?...lol at d3

Against certain characters, d1 works fine. You just have to know the situation. As i told the other guy in a previous post, d1 and b1 (sometimes f1) are liu's best counter poking options.

A great example would be against jax. B1 and f1 do well against jax.
I probably misworded. I'm still hard wired to want to counter a poke with another poke a la mk9, that's why I included d3, and was incensed that it was fucking 12 frames. But then again I remember Dizzy would counter poke with f3 as cage. This was the impetus to make me start to counter poke with b1 or f213 into pressure. I've rarely used f1 (i should) since it's a high other than quick get off me punishes where I want to establish space to zone. Thanks for the reply.

Hitbox Godspeed was using something similar to it on stream against Nivek just yesterday. Watch for it at EVO.
I meant the comment "I'd say he's broke if it wasn't so hard to do." I know LK's pressure can be good in the right hands.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I meant the comment "I'd say he's broke if it wasn't so hard to do." I know LK's pressure can be good in the right hands.
He now has the best plus frames in the game, due to it not requiring meter. He doesn't have the mixups of someone like Shinnok, but he has very strong block pressure game, meaning his meter game is fantastic considering he doesn't need it for anything other than breaker.

Against a few characters, if they don't have meter in the corner then he has a pusedo-block infinite.

Im so annoyed that you do the iafb so consistently
He now has the best plus frames in the game, due to it not requiring meter. He doesn't have the mixups of someone like Shinnok, but he has very strong block pressure game, meaning his meter game is fantastic considering he doesn't need it for anything other than breaker.

Against a few characters, if they don't have meter in the corner then he has a pusedo-block infinite.
You know, on paper he sounds very good but in reality i'm very skeptical.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
No one's really been able to showcase him yet on a big stage.

I wish Godspeed well because his Liu Kang makes both the EVO tournament and the game itself more intriguing.

kencheese

sub zero cryomancer
Im so annoyed that you do the iafb so consistently

You know, on paper he sounds very good but in reality i'm very skeptical.[/QUO.
Hi, remember me mr 52 yr old mixer, can you help me, I have been really studying my man LK, in lab, and not just on a dummie, doing the AI mode and recordings to work on my downfalls to block, punish and wake up much better, and studying my fastest reversals from basic to kombos to spec moves, In single player mode on MEDIUM, I have a 95% win , with over 1500 wins, doing medium length kombos, breakers, tech blocking and so on, when I go to hard I lose but I put up a fair fight, I then go to very hard and I play against LK DF, and what he is doing to me is what aim doing to my opponents in medium, so I have some nice basics down and not winning by sheer button mashing luck. How do I get better in hard mode, or do I just keep practicing and keep looking for those openings and simply get used to the opponent

Yea i can see in this video that this liu kang player LOOKS good but i watched the matches very closely and the kano player kept rushing in on liu kang which is exactly what he SHOULDN'T do in the mu...especially in the cybernetic variation with the knives being a mid.

But in terms of style, combos, and those great iafbs your liu is on point @mVp_Ryon

Yea i can see in this video that this liu kang player LOOKS good but i watched the matches very closely and the kano player kept rushing in on liu kang which is exactly what he SHOULDN'T do in the mu...especially in the cybernetic variation with the knives being a mid.

But in terms of style, combos, and those great iafbs your liu is on point @mVp_Ryon
liu outzones cybernetic

liu outzones cybernetic
Liu outzones cutthroat due to kanos knife being a high but even thn, the liu player is still playing kanos game full screen. Cybernetics zoning blows up liu even tho its not that bad but kano still wins the trade because liu can't duck under the knives so we're forced to take chip. The best way to play kano as liu is to bait him and keep him in the neutral range.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Liu outzones cutthroat due to kanos knife being a high but even thn, the liu player is still playing kanos game full screen. Cybernetics zoning blows up liu even tho its not that bad but kano still wins the trade because liu can't duck under the knives so we're forced to take chip. The best way to play kano as liu is to bait him and keep him in the neutral range.
What? Liu Kane's FB's are a low, so it's not as if Kano can duck them, just like Liu can't duck his knifes. FB's do more damage on hit and often Kano will lose the zoning advantage, forcing him to either take a risk by jumping into air ball or to come in, where Cybernetic gets bodied by DF.

Xarakamaka is right, Liu Kane outzones Cybernetic Kano.

kencheese

sub zero cryomancer
The

I use a dual shock 4 pad. Search 'lavagee' on YouTube. We recently played a tournament. videos has been uploaded on that channel. I can't seem to send a direct link here with my mobile.:(
have you been playing mk for a long time, if so can i ask for some help, iam new to ps4, first game is mkx, been learing LK DF for 3 months now, completely understand all the frame data, komboing(cancelling) is very easy for me, i find a group of very long kombos on utube and break them down into a bunch of smaller series of seperate kombos thant range form 12 to 25 percent damage, this allows me to really mix it up, here is my concern, i play offline single player on medium setting, and have no real problem winning, iam 900/35 win/lose, really enjoy medium, to go to hard and it is some what of a serious upgrade(i dont win but i give the opponent a run for their money), i then go to very hard to really learn tech blocking, breakers, punishes and wake ups, i have even on hard played my LK against the CPU LK and what he does to me is what i have been doing to my opponents on medium mode, so i definitely have done something right and have put my skills together properly, how do i handle HARD MODE ?, very hard is not too much for me what i have found is that for hard and very hard the CPU reacts very abruptly and waste no time to punish, wake up and start a move, if i use my fastest move he uses a slower move to out do me, so i know the CPU uses every possible millisecond to its advantage, can you give me some advice to get better at HARD, OR DO I JUST NEED TO KEEP PRACTICING, and keep learnig all the opponents variations of their wake ups, reversals and start up moves thanks scott aka keencheese

What? Liu Kane's FB's are a low, so it's not as if Kano can duck them, just like Liu can't duck his knifes. FB's do more damage on hit and often Kano will lose the zoning advantage, forcing him to either take a risk by jumping into air ball or to come in, where Cybernetic gets bodied by DF.

Xarakamaka is right, Liu Kane outzones Cybernetic Kano.
I disagree heavily. Also to mention that kano in fact wins in the footsies game against liu.

My kano exp comes from gametime and m2dave

mVp_Ryon

Who's coming to Ghana?

Thanks man. Cybernetic kano outzones liu. I figured I can down profile his mid knife toss with liu's d3 to prevent chip damage. You can basically avoid the chip on the knife toss ,play patiently until u get a life lead. U can consider zoning with a life lead

Thanks man. Cybernetic kano outzones liu. I figured I can down profile his mid knife toss with liu's d3 to prevent chip damage. You can basically avoid the chip on the knife toss ,play patiently until u get a life lead. U can consider zoning with a life lead
Exactly my point. In the zoning battle liu is playing kanos game the majority of the time. Those knives are fast so adding to the fact that they are mids just adds more comfort for cybernetic kano.