What's new

Anyone have experience with AIAB sticks?

Loot

the special effects
http://www.arcadeinabox.com/

Right now I'm using a Horipad EX2 for my MK needs but I find it difficult to use for Street Fighter and Marvel due to QCF/QCB/HCB/HCF motions feelings awkward with a pad. I've heard mixed reviews about the AIAB sticks and was curious if anyone here had some insight with them.

Tim Static

Adminerator
AIAB sticks are my absolute favorite sticks on the planet. Feel like they came right off an arcade cabinet.

But what questions do you have? The sticks are 100% customizable so whatever you prefer, your stick will be made to those preferences.

Loot

the special effects
AIAB sticks are my absolute favorite sticks on the planet. Feel like they came right off an arcade cabinet.

But what questions do you have? The sticks are 100% customizable so whatever you prefer, your stick will be made to those preferences.
How's the response of them and button resistance? I've heard of some sticks not registering movements properly and also sitting off to certain sides when in idle positions (not AIAB specifically). Do they sit comfortably in your lap as I noticed they are made from wood and weigh a couple pounds. Also, how does the hybrid option work? Does it simply have a selector switch or seperate inputs on the cables?

Dark_Rob

Noob
How's the response of them and button resistance? I've heard of some sticks not registering movements properly and also sitting off to certain sides when in idle positions (not AIAB specifically). Do they sit comfortably in your lap as I noticed they are made from wood and weigh a couple pounds. Also, how does the hybrid option work? Does it simply have a selector switch or seperate inputs on the cables?
AIAB uses only the best components. For Japanese sticks they of course have the Sanwa JLF along with Sanwa OBSF-30's. I believe they also can use Seimitsu buttons, but they dont offer Semitsu sticks.
For American style sticks they use all Industrias Lorenzo(I.L.) Which is the company that originally made the Eurojoystick that HAPP used to buy and renamed it the "Competition" Happ has since moved to China and is manufacturing they're own sticks(With inconsistent degrees of quality) While I.L. still makes the same great joystick they always have. Ive always found I.L. to be very responsive.

AIAB offers two basic models. The "True arcade" which is most suited to being used on a table.(Its big), and the "Slim arcade" which is perfect for lap play. Both models have the same surface area to play on but the slim arcade is about half the height of the true arcade and is lighter also. Its defintely the best stick for playing on your lap.

The Hybrid option is usually either just a switch in the back, or a button you hold down when plugging into a different system. I have a Hybrid PS3/360 stick and its always worked great.

Loot

the special effects
Thanks for the very informative post. I'm still on the fence on ordering one, especially with the leak of the classic MK arcade style stick, but I think I'd get more functionality out of this for being able to use it on MAME and cross platform.

BustaUppa

Westbury Nathan's 4 Life
Good thread, I was just thinking about checking these guys out. Getting back into local MK scenes lately, and my custom 2-player monstrosity of a stick isn't the most convenient thing to lug around. That baby can stay at home for parties (even non-gamers flip out when they see it) but I owe it to myself to get something a little more portable for "scene" usage. I'm intrugued by that MK1 stick that's coming out, but the hybrid option is awfully tempting. Is there anyone else that does hybrids or would AIAB be my best bet?

TWZTID

Noob
I was lucky enough to be on the receiving end of a dark rob give a way. I received an AIAB stick. It was the first stick I ever ots my hands on and I love it. I got the hang of it quickly and the response times are amazing.

I have the pdp stick as well and was goin.to order another for my xbox but I would rather get a madcatz or aiab (just a bit pricey for me, atm)

BustaUppa

Westbury Nathan's 4 Life
Thanks for the feedback on AIAB. Do they accomodate requests for cutom button layouts, beyond the straight/curved/MK options they show on the site? I'd like to do a "6+1" layout; basically their "straight" layout with an MK3 "Run" button added. Either that or an 8-button setup like the Madcatz TE (lower-left button still works pretty well for "run" with that setup).

BustaUppa

Westbury Nathan's 4 Life
I emailed AIAB support with some questions. They can do my hybrid layout! Now I just need to settle on some non-copyright infringing artwork, hmmm... I think I'll go with a minimalist late-'80s look, or a close replication of the MK1 panel.

BustaUppa

Westbury Nathan's 4 Life
Just got my stick today!!! If you want a closer look at AIAB's handiwork, check out the unboxing vid:

Also don't forget there's a discount on the site through the rest of EVO weekend! code is "EVO2K11"

Hino

Noob
I personnaly like foe hammer. there are also a ton of custom stick builders on srk. aiab is way overpriced. i would recomend looking through the srk trading post. Here is a link for Foe Hammer: http://www.foehammershop.com/ They also sell the DIY cases for a decent price.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

aj1701

Noob
Hopefully my AIAB stick will ship soon! Only a few orders left.

I'm not sure how the FH would be cheaper. It looks like you just get the box, then you need to buy the buttons, stick and wiring yourself, right? Add in shipping... and its the same or more. Am I missing something?

Urfost

Noob
Im considering an aiab but im not sure about the joystick. At first sight i wanted to go with the Sanwa JLF but what do you guys think about the IL Joystick or the Perfect360 ? (i only play MK)

Dark_Rob

Noob
Im considering an aiab but im not sure about the joystick. At first sight i wanted to go with the Sanwa JLF but what do you guys think about the IL Joystick or the Perfect360 ? (i only play MK)
Well I can tell you the differences.
The Sanwa JLF is a very precise joystick, so your movements with it must likewise be precise. Its what I call a high entry joystick because it takes a certain amount of competence and practice to use it well. It feels much looser than a tradional American style joystick and gives much less feedback. It also has a much shorter throw than american sticks. I have tried the JLF with various gates including the octagonal,circular and square gates and in my opinion the JLF is at its best with the stock square gate. All the other gates make it feel just less precise than it does with the square.
This stick is a favorite amongst many tournament players because of its accuracy. Once you put in the time to adjust and learn how the JLF works it is an amazing joystick and will never let you down. But its not for beginners.

The I.L. Eurojoystick(or Competition as it was renamed by Happ controls) is the American standard joystick that is found on most arcade cabinets in the U.S. It uses a battop as opposed to the Sanwa which uses a balltop. It is a very different animal than the Sanwa. It is much bigger both in terms of the shaft and the base that mounts underneath the panel. In comparison to the JLF's looseness the I.L. will feel very stiff. It snaps back into neutral very quickly and gives a high degree of feedback while playing.
It to is a very accurate joystick, however it isnt as precise. What I mean is that you can get away with alot more variation in your execution and still get the move your trying to get on an I.L. than you can on a Sanwa. The I.L. gives you a bit more margin of error than a Sanwa does.
The I.L. does not use a restrictor plate/gate the way the Sanwa does, rather it relies on a HUGE Square actuator that makes contact with the microswitches as you move the stick. While you can kind of feel the corners due to the square actuator, its nowhere near like how your feel the corners with a square gate on a Sanwa. For the most part the I.L. feels 90% circular with a hint of the corners. In my opinion this stick is far more easily adjusted to by the beginner because of its flexibility with regards to inputs.

I would stay away from the perfect 360. Thes 360's today are made by Happ controls and like everything else, theyve messed them up horribly. The originals were balltops made by Wico and they were pretty good. But once Happ bought Wico out the quality on the 360 went downhill. for awhile actually AIAB wouldnt even carry the 360 or anything made by Happ because they just werent up to AIAB's standards. I didnt even know they started carrying them again.

Urfost

Noob
Thanks for that very precise reply. I ve seen you can put an american bat on the Sanwas. Im used to the Sanwa and i want that kind of bat for MK, so i think i will make that mix with an MK layout.