What's new

Anyone ever feel like this game uses a matchup algorithm behind the scenes based on characters the player uses?

More often than not whether you win or lose, mostly when you lose the next person you play will play that exact same character. Even if its a rare one you see little of online, next person without fail, same character. anyone else notice this?

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Every fighting game i can remember always seemed to have an overabundance of certain characters being played for one reason or another, i doubt this was planned... In sf4 it was infested with Ryu and Kens, Mk9 seemed to have Laos out the ass along with Sub and Scorpion, MKX felt like Kanos and Sonyas and every patch it changed to the newest S-tiers

It's just a popularity thing

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
100% it does that is why it changes daily.... one day 5 jax in a row, next day its liu then sub! So yea I've also thought this before.
no it doesn't... what rubbish.

This is how people start believing that burying a potato at midnight in the afterbirth of a sheep will make your hair grow on your balding scalp.

Just because something looks like a pattern, does not mean it is, and just as you have dreamed up some "reasoning" does not mean it has any basis in reality.

This is basically "gaming superstition". Right up there with 90% of people use lag switches and that guy who pawned everyone in CoD was using a cheating aim mod.

Seriously.. absolute nonsense.

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
Completely unrelated in every way... but when playing soulcalibur (4,5,&6) i always felt there was a hidden algorithm for Tiras mood change . It always felt more likely to revert to jolly if I was dominating.
It got worse in 6 considering the shit drops mid combo FOR NO REASON. Well it did early days. I reeee'd super hard when I could never get a consistent game out of Tira due to the finnickyness of her stances. It fucks her damage you get hard punished for something completely out of your control the game just meh fuck you

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
Also on the topic of the way online play works. Taking into consideration a company like Activision has decided a section of netcode specifically for the purpose of matching you with someone who has obtained an item through a loot box who is likely to beat you to make you more inclined to buy them and once you've made the purchase the next lobby you are in is likely to be less skilled than you so that you feel your money was well spent..... Proof [http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN/9789406] I could see there being a thing to put you against another of the same character who is likely supposed to be an easier match for you as to make it less discouraging.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I ran into 4 Kitana's in a row the other night,

I just assume on some days a pro player tweets that a character is secretly top tier, causing everyone to flock to that character online.

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
What's the algorithm for "4 Liu Kang players in a row"?

View attachment 16065
Well in your case 2 of them are the same person as well as everyone being under master. On top of it going one win one lose one win one lose it could be an algorithmic thing but I would say your still going through growing pains of Kl fighting people who actually can't play the game well and are only where they are due to who they play. Imo.

o29

Noob
Also on the topic of the way online play works. Taking into consideration a company like Activision has decided a section of netcode specifically for the purpose of matching you with someone who has obtained an item through a loot box who is likely to beat you to make you more inclined to buy them and once you've made the purchase the next lobby you are in is likely to be less skilled than you so that you feel your money was well spent..... Proof [http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN/9789406] I could see there being a thing to put you against another of the same character who is likely supposed to be an easier match for you as to make it less discouraging.
I thought for sure this was a joke, but leave it to Activision to make the asinine seem possible!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
More often than not whether you win or lose, mostly when you lose the next person you play will play that exact same character. Even if its a rare one you see little of online, next person without fail, same character. anyone else notice this?
This has never happened to me.. Lol.