What's new

Any Tips for Practicing Instant Air (anything)

Newt27

Noob
It's all in the title. I want to be able to do the instant air fireballs with Lui Kang, or the instant air fan throws with Kitana. I know practice makes perfect but was wondering if anyone had any good tips to help with these. I like to play a lot of different characters so this is a skill worth learning. Cassie Cage's look like they are a pretty important part of her zoning game too.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
So if you are doing instant airs with a projectile that is bf, then treat it just like you would a Jason grapple or something, only instead of down it is up, and with dB motions if you are on pad then position your thumb above the dpad, and quickly slide it down and either to the left or right depending on the input and which side you are on and if you have input shortcuts on them you don't even have to do the entire db motion, you can press the button while you are doing a diagonal input

I wish getting one of those just for MKX was doable for me :(
Practise the motion slowly at first.
And practise every day. You'll be able to do it soon enough.
Yeah and practise it from both sides with a small body like cassie with block turned on.

MrProfDrPepper

Is there any benefit to having input shortcuts off? Also thanks both of you for the tips.
For a lasher player like me where one of my essential tools is mapped to diagonal df1 and is a normal when I also have 2 more important tools like df1 (special move) and my f1 things get really choatic really fast.

To be honest I don't think stick helps in this situation, it just takes practice. That is what I did when I was on pad and that is what I did when I started learning stick. There is no real advantage to any controller it is just preference
I actually think pad is a better controller overall for mkx, but I'd have to say stick makes iafbs easier.

MrProfDrPepper

I actually think pad is a better controller overall for mkx, but I'd have to say stick makes iafbs easier.
I have a really hard time using a pad for MKX since I've gotten so accustom to stick, not go mention I like being able to hover my ring finger over the block button at all times and it makes it easier for me to get out low slash in lasher and I just kind of feel more comfortable on stick

I have a really hard time using a pad for MKX since I've gotten so accustom to stick, not go mention I like being able to hover my ring finger over the block button at all times and it makes it easier for me to get out low slash in lasher and I just kind of feel more comfortable on stick
yeah I use a stick too, but only because I've been doing it for almost 2 decades. Mk is the most friendly pad fighting game I've ever played though, and definitely the only game I'm comfortable playing on pad and stick.

Wolverine32

PSN: ADM_Wolverine
The best success I've found is with pad. But I've yet to use a hit box. On stick however I don't feel as accurate and this causes me to fail more often than not. I would recommend starting with something simple like iadk's to get a feel for how fast you actually need to go then move on to practicing the input motion of whatever move you want to learn at that speed. That's the method I used and found successful. But learning the most effective thumb placement on your pad is equally important

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
It really is practice... there is no magic trick.

I play Kitana and I usually press up and diagonal towards super quick. The main thing you need to practice is the pace or you will whiff.

Sorry for digging out this dinosaur but I'd like to contribute. If we talk about Air Akimbo.
I highly suggest to do a tiger knee motion. Let's say I'm on 1p side. I do 8741236FP and I do it on pad. From 1P tiger knee motion helps a lot. From 2p it's much easier for me to do 8964FP. I hope that the notation is clear enough.

the.hamburglar

Alien keeps me up at night
It's all in the title. I want to be able to do the instant air fireballs with Lui Kang, or the instant air fan throws with Kitana. I know practice makes perfect but was wondering if anyone had any good tips to help with these. I like to play a lot of different characters so this is a skill worth learning. Cassie Cage's look like they are a pretty important part of her zoning game too.
a fuck ton of practice. On ps4 pad, it took me forever. Just play and practice it every now and then, I used to practice it during the fatality screen but it wont be easy cause of the execution. Sometimes my thumbs would hurt but yeah man, dont get discouraged. Ive been maining Kang for 6 months and i dont always get them low to the ground. Good thing is, after you get used to it, doing air moves with any other character is not that hard. Air teleports in Shryai rayu that are low to the ground arent hard, i know i didnt post much tips. Slide your fingers but hit the top first. Focus on your execution. Good luck :)

Addhad

GOD OF EARTHRELM
The God is here.
Try holding your controller a different way by putting ur index finger and thumb on the dpad so u go up with ur index and down with your thumb then back with your index. I've held my controller like this since mk9 so I can get special moves eZ. It's way more consistent then sliding ur finger across the dpad for doing special moves and instant airs. :)

Reactions: GQJ