What's new

Any other Scorpion fans left? Hopes/Speculations/Fears?

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
So with how good the other characters look (haven't gotten to play), I'm trying to contain my hopes for my long time favorite MK ninja. I don't need him to be ungodly top tier but I at least want him to be allowed to be fun/viable. I say allowed because the last few games it seems like any remotely good tools of his get nerfed within the first month after people rage online that he's a newb slayer. Even at his best though that's all he's ever been. Like a gatekeeper character. If you're inexperienced OR if the other person really devotes themselves to the character, he CAN be oppressive. To an experienced player though, he is a high risk/high reward that tends to get nerfed to extremely high risk/not as high reward so no pro will touch him with a 10 ft. pole with Baraka's dick on the end. Can we just let him be good and fun this time? LMAO.

As for hopes, I am ecstatic to see the classic Izuna Drop style move as part of his Fatal Blow (hopefully with a Brutality that isn't stupid to trigger). Always wanted him to have one as his Airthrow or an Air Special of some kind as it is a FG ninja staple. Hattori Hanzo/Galford, Ryu Hyabusa, even Kimberly in SF6 has a variant as Nue Twister and in one of her Supers. Glad to see Scorpion have it in his FB, but would still love it as a special. Especially with air combos being a thing, it seems like a missed opportunity to give him one as an awesome way to end a combo.

Aside from that I'm curious to hear what others thoughts are. He's in a weird place where he is simultaneously one of the most popular played characters and also one of the most shat upon by MK fans in each new game.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
If Human Smoke isn’t in the game, I typically always use Scorpion in some capacity. My favorite Scorpion was vanilla MKX before the fireball cancel nerfs, my 2nd fav was MK11, 3rd fav UMK3. Never used him in MK9, since I had HSmoke and Kenshi I never got to using him, but I also played MK9 the least out of all the NRS games because I was a broke college kid back then and didn’t even own the game until like a year and half after release or something like that.

Anyway, I’ll probably have Scorpion in my back pocket in this game. Excited to see how he plays compared to MK11

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Scorpion is one of those character that kinda has to be unsafe and risky. Classic spear and his teleport are 2 iconic moves of his, but both, if you are to stick to tradition, are just unsafe moves. That being said, in MK1, with Kameos, you should be able to make all his risky moves into save specials.

My thoughts, Scorpion, in comparison to the 4 characters shown in the stress test, should be the best he's ever been. NRS is giving each character a full/expanded suite of moves, so each character can really be played how you want...and this is before Kameos. The Kameo system just adds to the character.

So yeah, I have no real thoughts or hopes on how he will really play. My guess is he will be just like he was in MK9 and MK11, but have WAY more options, and with Kameos probably be insane in the style department.

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
So far the game seems to be trying to tilt towards strong array of offensive moves and fun combos, so I'd imagine Scorpion should at the very least be fun, and probably wind up being middle tier.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Yeah I like the meterless spear, ex air spear capture, and slide attack so far. NEED to see what they are actually giving him. I hope he has a fire special like Hellfire to mirror Sub-Zero's ground freeze (deadly vapors I think they called it?). Also hoping that if the slide is his replacement for teleport that the ex version involves teleporting or coming from behind in some way. Unless the slide is replacing his Scissor Takedown (changes to that when Ex'd)? Still crossing fingers for more Izuna Drop, lol.

Kokoko

Somehow
I'm going to main Scorpion.
In addition to the specials mentioned above, in the trailer they showed his knee attack, which is clearly mid, and the continuation leads to a juggle. It looks fast enough, but the distance is not super impressive. In general, I'd like to see what kind of game plan he has in this game. I don't expect him to be some extremely complex character.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Sounds like Scorpion is being discussed on the next Kombat Kast, July 6th.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
People hate on scorpion for how some players play him I guess. Especially if they play lame because people have no patience when it comes to fighting games. But I think he looks dope in this game. It’s in those moments I get why people like him :laughing:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So with how good the other characters look (haven't gotten to play), I'm trying to contain my hopes for my long time favorite MK ninja. I don't need him to be ungodly top tier but I at least want him to be allowed to be fun/viable. I say allowed because the last few games it seems like any remotely good tools of his get nerfed within the first month after people rage online that he's a newb slayer. Even at his best though that's all he's ever been. Like a gatekeeper character. If you're inexperienced OR if the other person really devotes themselves to the character, he CAN be oppressive. To an experienced player though, he is a high risk/high reward that tends to get nerfed to extremely high risk/not as high reward so no pro will touch him with a 10 ft. pole with Baraka's dick on the end. Can we just let him be good and fun this time? LMAO.

As for hopes, I am ecstatic to see the classic Izuna Drop style move as part of his Fatal Blow (hopefully with a Brutality that isn't stupid to trigger). Always wanted him to have one as his Airthrow or an Air Special of some kind as it is a FG ninja staple. Hattori Hanzo/Galford, Ryu Hyabusa, even Kimberly in SF6 has a variant as Nue Twister and in one of her Supers. Glad to see Scorpion have it in his FB, but would still love it as a special. Especially with air combos being a thing, it seems like a missed opportunity to give him one as an awesome way to end a combo.

Aside from that I'm curious to hear what others thoughts are. He's in a weird place where he is simultaneously one of the most popular played characters and also one of the most shat upon by MK fans in each new game.
Izuna drop is mostly a Japanese ninja lore, but somehow it's weird scorpion never got to have it.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Izuna drop is mostly a Japanese ninja lore, but somehow it's weird scorpion never got to have it.
Exactly. lol. My boy is left out of the suplexing/piledriving your head into the ground ninja club. And since MK2 he's had an Airthrow as one of his more iconic moves. Noob Saibot got an Izuna-adjacent move via teleport throw and he's an undead Chinese assassin not an undead Japanese one! lmao.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
So it seems like Scorpion's main "unique" quality in this game is going to be crazy reach with alot of the strings and specials we've seen so far. Now that he is finally using the ropedart and kusarigama (chain and sickle) for his weapon in normals, strings, etc. he looks like he might have decent footsies reach advantage that will likely be balanced by him having shit frame data, lol.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Yeah that wasn't critical I was trying to actually spark some gameplay conversation on him, lol. Most of that was positive. I just added shit frame data because Scorpion is always balanced to be mid-tier. With that reach AND great frames he'd be broken, lol.

Last edited: