What's new

Analog or Dpad?

Analog or Dpad?

• Total voters
Which do you all use?

Personally, I'm all about the analog. It's way more accurate for me. I jump like crazy when I use the dpad.

oooh. I got my stick just now, so I can say stick (even though i'm complete garbage with it right now, I can't even hit autocombos haha. ) you use your left hand for the run button or what.

dubson

Noob
oooh. I got my stick just now, so I can say stick (even though i'm complete garbage with it right now, I can't even hit autocombos haha. ) you use your left hand for the run button or what.
Use your right hand thumb for run

Use your left hand only for the stick dude lol

I read ArcadeEd's post where he thought it was the left hand and I totally belived him.

Stick only makes wayyy more sense but damnnn. So much hand moving this is going to take me a while to get used to the reaction lol

edit: k so I'm kinda used to it. But kungs spin and ermacs tele lift is a hard motion for some reason for me to hit every time...god I was solid on the d-pad.

I had the spin inf varients down! now im a newbie.

FILER

Noob
D-Pad/Analog stick weird mixture.

It's odd, but I don't even know what I'm using sometimes. I jump with the analog and do moves like forceballs, spins, spears, ect. with the d-pad only. I should probably video tape it...it's all habit now.

BTW, it sounds difficult to use a stick with the buttons being so spread out.

It's odd, but I don't even know what I'm using sometimes. I jump with the analog and do moves like forceballs, spins, spears, ect. with the d-pad only. I should probably video tape it...it's all habit now.

This. Where's the "both" option?

I'm pretty sure most of us are trained like this. Forceballs with the analog helllls no.

miss em 30% of the time which is no good. spear too. dashes with the analog for sure, used to be always d-pad but doesn't cut it.

The buttons are kinda spread. It's just weird getting used to, i'm using my thumb for the run button when im used to using my thumb for every attack button.

So sometimes I find myself mashing my thumb down to finish a combo, when it just makes me run =[.

aahp's are actually kinda hard for me on the stick.
like aahp, aahp, walk in aahp into something is kind of a difficult motion but I think i'll just be more solid when I get it down

btw: I get internet services back tomorrow, I doubt i'll go on XBL until I got this stick down.

im never using a controller again.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I read ArcadeEd's post where he thought it was the left hand and I totally belived him.

Stick only makes wayyy more sense but damnnn. So much hand moving this is going to take me a while to get used to the reaction lol

edit: k so I'm kinda used to it. But kungs spin and ermacs tele lift is a hard motion for some reason for me to hit every time...god I was solid on the d-pad.

I had the spin inf varients down! now im a newbie.
Do whatever your comfortable with, but yes, what Dubs said is the "default" way.

But pratice, pratice, pratice.

Add me on XBL and we'll try to get some sparring done soon on our sticks.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Very true.

Your going from using both hands, to using one for ALL the buttons, and i is different to a pad.

I grew up playing a stick, and since I joined XBL about 10-11 months ago, I've had to re-adjust myself to using that bastard 360 pad.

Now that I learned to play alot better on tha, I get my stick and poof! I am having to re-learn as well, and I have been very disencouraged with my progrss. Playing a stick online is SSSOOO weird compared to playig on a cab, or just offline anywhere.

Therefore, we can re-adjust together, lol.

Dpad for me, the analog on the 360 is too slow for me. I would prefer a stick, but I need the cash, donations are welcome ;) .

omg tim seriously. This shit pisses me off, I'm about to pick up my controller every ten minutes, cause my internet is getting set up tomorrow, and I just can't see myself getting beat bad online.

and I miss competitive MK soooo badly. I only play my GF and she's decent, but she can't pull off 50% combos.
she'll beat you nubs tho.

Anyway, I've been sooo discouraged to keep starting the game over and over with the stick. I just have the dpad/analog game down so hard. After my internet gets set up tomorrow, i'm just not so sure if i'm going to be able to use the stick =[.
the temptation will just be too much to pick up the controller and join some games and kick some ass.

How much solid arcade stick play does it take to master that shit?
It didn't take me toooooo long to master the controller, but i'm just soooo used to using my left trigger for run cancels, and pushing LK for reptiles dash is a PAIN! I miss his dash so much, I can only do 4 sets of punches w/ uppercut if im lucky with it.

So on my list to improve?? run canceling x1000000
cancel aahp walk ins.

tele slams i got down kind of. but damn using my thumb for run only seems like im wasting such a well-trained MK button masher!!!

Tim Static

Adminerator
omg tim seriously. This shit pisses me off, I'm about to pick up my controller every ten minutes, cause my internet is getting set up tomorrow, and I just can't see myself getting beat bad online.

and I miss competitive MK soooo badly. I only play my GF and she's decent, but she can't pull off 50% combos.
she'll beat you nubs tho.

Anyway, I've been sooo discouraged to keep starting the game over and over with the stick. I just have the dpad/analog game down so hard. After my internet gets set up tomorrow, i'm just not so sure if i'm going to be able to use the stick =[.
the temptation will just be too much to pick up the controller and join some games and kick some ass.

How much solid arcade stick play does it take to master that shit?
It didn't take me toooooo long to master the controller, but i'm just soooo used to using my left trigger for run cancels, and pushing LK for reptiles dash is a PAIN! I miss his dash so much, I can only do 4 sets of punches w/ uppercut if im lucky with it.

So on my list to improve?? run canceling x1000000
cancel aahp walk ins.

tele slams i got down kind of. but damn using my thumb for run only seems like im wasting such a well-trained MK button masher!!!
Be patient. Its gonna be hard. And for that reason, I have been very frustrated as well. It sucks. But I know in the long run, it will be for the best. I am just trying to get myself to a decent level before I start playing wit some of the higher level players from this site. I did take it online when I first got it, and I won my first 18 matches, but they were against average XBL scrubs. SO nothing to brag about, but I playing good enough not to lose.

As far as how long it takes to "master" the stick, its just like anything else you want to get good at - PLAY IT ALL THE TIME. lol....Dont ever go back to the pad, use your stick 100% of the time, if you can.

But the stick will help you be a better player as well.

The difference in using it will also hold the key to timing. Timing is VITAL to being a high level player. And the way you use a stick will eliminate your timing problems. And once you get it down, work on speed.

But yeah, get me tha FR, and we'll work on stuff, and eventually bring it to the masses (ok, some of the high level players here, lol).

One more thing........I used my now ex to work on aaP's & aaK's. I just have her repeately jump at me and nothing else. Working on aa, counters & punishing :D

oh yeah GF's are the best practice tools!! if she saw me write that she'd kick my ass haha.

Yeah I just spent a little practicing reptiles aahp dashes oooh that's going to be a problem.

Ermacs tele lift still poses a little bit of a problem for me, as well as kungs spin. God it's hard that forward down forward/back down back motion. I can do it pretty well going left down left, but right down right if HARD!! especially after a dive kick in kungs combo, going down left down left solid.

God those stick motions are hard to master. i've gotten better at run canceling, I can hit ermacs

Tele lift, aahp run cancel, jk, telepunch, tele lift, aaRH, telepunch, aalp, fireball.

but I get that off just barely...Sorry mistaKM I turned your thread into a stick convo.

I just gotta master this damn thing, or else I'll use my controller next time I get on XBL

edit: i've gotten the slamming the joystick around a little better, still pretty hard to perfect the motions my left thumb used to hit.
i never played in an arcade, i bought the stick to make my gameplay more solid, as the XB controller just can't cut it for a real game like UMK3, it's made to feel like a tank in your hands.

but damn, i'll get thee motions down in like 14 days of straight game play prob. Until then, no XBL for me.

Tim, it's sooo fuckin frustrating (i moved to Norcal, I should say hella frustrating...) it better make me a better player in the long run, i paid 150$ for that reason!!
haha.

7h30n

Noob
Since I'm a PC user I use D-Pad (I have GamePad), and it's alot easier than Analog Joystick (of the GamePad).

Lars

Noob

No way, thought I was the only one who did that.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
When I played on my brother's (XBL) I used the pad. Now I'm more fond of the d-pad with kaillera because of my shitty Logitech controller.