What's new

An interesting use for the Enhanced low hat I haven't seen

R00KI30FTH3Y3AR

(S)teel (V)alley (K)ombat
Alright, I'm not claiming this is anything new or something along those lines, so all you folks out there with the "Oh, we've known about this since the beginning of time" boners can just stop reading past this point.

Anyway, I was fooling around in the lab with Kung Lao earlier and come to a most interesting and devastatingly simple way to finish your combos on knock downs by throwing the EN low hat which will force them into one of three scenarios I had thought of at the time.

1)You are forced to block low, and risk being set up for throw or more block string pressure.

2)Forced to use an invincible wake-up attack/enhanced armor move for the bait and punish.

3)Forced to take the additional damage on a failure to block, which I know isn't much for the meter use, but this is just a rough idea of potential uses for the low hat as a potentially fatal corner trap.

So, gentlemen and ladies...any ideas?

gdf

Noob
I like the idea of making people use invincible wake-ups, really high level guys though have that lightning quick reaction speed. (In my opinion, I'm not great but I play against really good players)

EX Low hat I believe hits high actually.

I have some tech as well, would you be interested to instigate an extended discussion for your topic?

R00KI30FTH3Y3AR

I wasn't aware that it hit high, that might certainly switch things up a bit. I would certainly be interested in the tech you have to discuss if you'd like to continue. Maybe we can brainstorm up something new for the community to whine about? How's that sound. :D

gdf

Noob
Oh, alright then.

Starting with EX Low hat in all of these from easiest to hardest:

teleport+4, release EX Low hat, dash, f+3, spin, 1, 1, 2,4,1+3,2.

NJP(use 1 of course), as soon as the neutral jump punch hits teleport+3, release EX Low hat, dash, f+3, spin, 1, 1, 2,4,1+3,2.

Interchangeable post EX Low hat starters
dive kick, a second after the dive kick hits release EX Low hat, f+3, spin, 1, 1, 2,4,1+3,2.
JIK, a second after the kick hits release EX Low hat, f+3, spin, 1, 1, 2,4,1+3,2.
A very rare circumstance is possible to do JIK (using 4), into dive kick, a second after dive kick hits release EX Low hat, f+3, spin, 1, 1, 2,4,1+3,2.

That is about it, if you could expand upon it (other members as well), it would be nice.

R00KI30FTH3Y3AR

So I've been testing the theory out in real-time battle against the AI and a few players. The biggest issue is recovery from the point at which you knock them down (The recovery frames of whatever attack you used to do so, mind you.), to the point where start-up frames for the low hat begin. There's a disturbing window of opportunity which will usually let them start a wake-up which kind of throws a wrench into the whole operation. Does Kung have any moves which are a hard knock down like Jax's elbow buster?

gdf

Noob
Yeah, I think f+4 after one jab following an EX horizontal hat throw would actually work, except in the corner. I honestly fell without the fast low hat and pushback on spin, Kung Lao lost corner pressuring advantage.

The best thing for EX Low hat is that you should dash back before putting it down, therefore if they wake up, you can block it. If they stay down, just plant that EX Low hat.

thing that i do is when the round starts immediately throw enhanced hat (hold triangle/Y). so your opponent starts blocking. than jump over him and while still holding triangle/Y jump-punch, b x/a than connect spin. this gives you a big combo. if they block your spin, don't worry about a full punish just release the hat. (for maximum damage u can start the combo with teleport)

if they don't block at the start they jump, than just spin or NJP and the damage follows.

Pagan

Noob
If they block you actually have a pretty devastating combo off of throw!

Note this mainly works if they are just out of reach of automatically getting hit by it

E hat (hold), throw (either direction), let go of hat at the very end of your window for contact, f3, spin (there's more damaging options than this)

Then you have enough time to drop another E hat for more pressure.

Kung Laos that still want to rush down should focus on E hat and low E divekicks for a way in. So many options with those two moves

gdf

Noob
thing that i do is when the round starts immediately throw enhanced hat (hold triangle/Y). so your opponent starts blocking. than jump over him and while still holding triangle/Y jump-punch, b x/a than connect spin. this gives you a big combo. if they block your spin, don't worry about a full punish just release the hat. (for maximum damage u can start the combo with teleport)

if they don't block at the start they jump, than just spin or NJP and the damage follows.
This sounds like a good idea, but will it work on Johnny Cage and Sonya?

Pagan said:
[MENTION=4554]Pagan[/MENTION]If they block you actually have a pretty devastating combo off of throw!

Note this mainly works if they are just out of reach of automatically getting hit by it

E hat (hold), throw (either direction), let go of hat at the very end of your window for contact, f3, spin (there's more damaging options than this)

Then you have enough time to drop another E hat for more pressure.
Can you show the E hat + throw in a video? Cause I can't seem to get it to work.

gdf

Noob
That sounds rough, but most appreciated.

Oh, alright then.

Starting with EX Low hat in all of these from easiest to hardest:

teleport+4, release EX Low hat, dash, f+3, spin, 1, 1, 2,4,1+3,2.

NJP(use 1 of course), as soon as the neutral jump punch hits teleport+3, release EX Low hat, dash, f+3, spin, 1, 1, 2,4,1+3,2.

Interchangeable post EX Low hat starters
dive kick, a second after the dive kick hits release EX Low hat, f+3, spin, 1, 1, 2,4,1+3,2.
JIK, a second after the kick hits release EX Low hat, f+3, spin, 1, 1, 2,4,1+3,2.
A very rare circumstance is possible to do JIK (using 4), into dive kick, a second after dive kick hits release EX Low hat, f+3, spin, 1, 1, 2,4,1+3,2.

That is about it, if you could expand upon it (other members as well), it would be nice.
[video=youtube_share;7udjIXAHthI]http://youtu.be/7udjIXAHthI[/video]
An accompanying video for the combos.

R00KI30FTH3Y3AR

I have to thank you for the video, because when you originally posed the combos before I had a hard time trying to imagine and imitate them. But after seeing the video I'm drawing a much more clear picture of just what you meant back then. I'll toy around with this later and see what I can come up with.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
I haven't played kung lao for a while but i used it in 2 situations.

In the corner he has block strings that put him in a position to throw down an ex low hat without it ticking the opponent. You can walk forward do a forward throw, release the ex hat late and do 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 4 1+3.

Mid screen you can do the same thing except you have to hold down to make the hat stay low on release after the forward throw, then f3 xx spin.

Its not really that great. :yeradick:

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
yes,i believe it is a nice thought,a little expensive as about the super meter,but in some cases like the end of the round could be useful and it could save your life!!!!!

I haven't played kung lao for a while but i used it in 2 situations.

In the corner he has block strings that put him in a position to throw down an ex low hat without it ticking the opponent. You can walk forward do a forward throw, release the ex hat late and do 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 4 1+3.

Mid screen you can do the same thing except you have to hold down to make the hat stay low on release after the forward throw, then f3 xx spin.

Its not really that great. :yeradick:
ex low hat is useful anywhere on the screen. BTW you can get 55% of a throw in the corner

Theme

Noob
I only use EN Low Hat for two scenarios.

(Rarely if ever) Mid game, I have full bars and am feeling lenient on using one, I throw one down if they are jumping a lot and make them be afraid to jump, and if they do, they get hit by the EN low hat.

(Frequently) End game, if they have barely any health, I usually just throw one down and walk up to them to do a string, but before I start the string, I release the low hat so it comes flying to them first, thus adding another hit to the string basically. Sometimes they would just freak out as you walk up to them and attack you, just let go of the low hat and they will eat that and I usually follow up with a roll into lowhat or spin/grab. This usually wins me the game without much effort afterwards.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
I saw this kid, Migi, at NWM3 use ex low hat. He would drop his combos early and drop ex low hat for pressure on wakeup. Was pretty cool.