What's new

Match Footage Amazing Match! ETC Mcfly (Kunglao) Vs Washincitz (Cage) FT3 MK9 Dojo ETCCHILE

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
You need to learn to use b1f1 as an option to force wake up shadow kicks or blocks after 2 4 command grab, also stance specific 2 4 spins. You used your armoured tele to escape frame traps and he never once punished by dashing through you, so when that finally happens, remember whiffed grab from ex tele gives you rain like armour.

ALSO, bird Lao. Cage cant kill what he cant hit, and if you bird lao it properly he has to take big risks to stop you or just sit still. That cage player gave you a lot to gain from but you didn't capitalise.

coolwhip

Noob
F33B3 jails for 24 frames, but from the range a blocked (F33)B3 puts you at, you'll recover before the foreballs reach you. You should be able to duck, wait for the 2nd forceball (unless you have an exceptionally big crouching hitbox, which LBSH, Lao does not) to sail over, stand up and punish with 2,1~Spin.

IDK. It's a weird matchup to categorize, numbers wise. Cage definitely keeps Lao on thin ice when it comes dealing with mobility shenanigans, but I'm not sure if he deals with them as decisively as Kitana or Cyrax does. There are still a few "what if"s Lao can entertain so to speak.

And IMO (for what it's worth) the talking point that Lao has bad pokes and is forced to get out of pressure with risky Spins has always been straw-clutch as hell. A good Cage will punish most D1s anyway unless you have the option to cancel into a fast safe mid/retreating option.

Besides, I wish my D1 bypassed player 1 trade advantage and gave me circa 30% meterless on hit lmao.
Kung Lao against Cage has better options to get out of pressure than a lot of characters, but it's still not a fun match-up for him. I mean, yeah spin is risky, but at least it could force Cage to respect it as opposed to going all out with his F3 shenanigans and the worst he has to "fear" is a poke. But standing 2 is also really good. The only problem is, of course, it loses to low pokes. I'm usually not an advocate of Cage using D3 in his pressure (I just don't see the point, even if it's faster than say, F3), but in this particular match-up it can be quite useful if you notice the Lao player trying to get out with standing 2. Lao's armor isn't anything you have to fear per se since you can just walk back from it (unless you whiff the entire F3 string where he can punish you with delayed 3), but it at least gives him another option.

But it does get hard for Lao once Cage gets within footsie range, as you're not going to beat a good Cage player with 2,4, and he has to be careful with the way he uses his mobility.

Thank you all for the comments. I have read each and are all a contribution to the discussion.

I feel that KL risk much more than Cage. But it's an entertaining fight that after three years never end up knowing.

Cage is simpler to use and do not require fail combos much. Today bnb I use with KL has a lot of execution and this makes me get nervous in the fight. :(

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Kung Lao against Cage has better options to get out of pressure than a lot of characters, but it's still not a fun match-up for him. I mean, yeah spin is risky, but at least it could force Cage to respect it as opposed to going all out with his F3 shenanigans and the worst he has to "fear" is a poke. But standing 2 is also really good. The only problem is, of course, it loses to low pokes. I'm usually not an advocate of Cage using D3 in his pressure (I just don't see the point, even if it's faster than say, F3), but in this particular match-up it can be quite useful if you notice the Lao player trying to get out with standing 2. Lao's armor isn't anything you have to fear per se since you can just walk back from it (unless you whiff the entire F3 string where he can punish you with delayed 3), but it at least gives him another option.

But it does get hard for Lao once Cage gets within footsie range, as you're not going to beat a good Cage player with 2,4, and he has to be careful with the way he uses his mobility.
Yeah I'm not disputing that it's not easy for Lao, I'm just saying I don't think normalized frame data on pokes would remedy the problems he has in the matchup. But it's certainly still one of his more fundamentally manageable disadvantage matchups if he does lose.