What's new

Match Footage Amazing Match! ETC Mcfly (Kunglao) Vs Washincitz (Cage) FT3 MK9 Dojo ETCCHILE

In regards to talking match-ups in Mortal Kombat 9, the debate continues but ETC McFly may have reached some finality in regards to Johnny Cage. In this first-to-3 set against Chile Johnny Cage player, Washincitz we see some evidence of a "5-5" or "6-4".

Other greats have been called upon to voice their opinion. As you watch this set, what do you think? ~ STORMS*

Sup guys!

@GGA Dizzy
@Perfect Legend
@FOREVER KING
@Mikemetroid
@Everyone who wants to comment on this topic

ETC Mcfly (Kunglao) Vs Washincitz (Cage) FT3 MK9 Dojo ETCCHILE

Some time ago I want to discuss this battle for me is a classic among Kung Lao and Johnny Cage. It's been over three years and I think there is much evidence to reach a resolution about the actual closest match-up.

For me this fight is 5-5 but with a slight inclination to 6-4 for Cage.

Big Hug!

Mcfly

Last edited by a moderator:

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
@ETC Mcfly I will say this straight forward - The way You operate with Lao is amazing. You capitalize on his tools so well. Pokes, tele, dive kick...not to mention the bnbs You got Bro. I main KL in MKII, seeing such KL in game brings so much joy. I have never played against KL at that level, wish I had though - maybe one day!
My Respect, imo You come to a point where You are able to pull of any mu any character that You are facing.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
That 2~spin, 2,4~grab follow up after the EX straight hat is so good. The 4 never comes out whenever I try it though. :(. Great set!

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
wow great set. No offense to US players but MCFLY's converisons are SICK AS HELL IMO
Agreed. Some combo video-type shit LOL!

I'm not a Lao or Cage player, but from seeing the match play out fairly often, and judging from the opinion of both sides, I can't see the match being even. It's definitely in Cage's favor.

If I'm not mistaken, it's a flat out full combo for a punish.
with any character? i guess the idea is react to the forceball with a d4 when you see the animation? can you just neutral crouch or do you need lowered hitbox? after d4 you dash in punish?

by the way i think this matchup is 5-5 with Cage bias

STRYKIE

with any character? i guess the idea is react to the forceball with a d4 when you see the animation? can you just neutral crouch or do you need lowered hitbox? after d4 you dash in punish?

by the way i think this matchup is 5-5 with Cage bias
F33B3 jails for 24 frames, but from the range a blocked (F33)B3 puts you at, you'll recover before the foreballs reach you. You should be able to duck, wait for the 2nd forceball (unless you have an exceptionally big crouching hitbox, which LBSH, Lao does not) to sail over, stand up and punish with 2,1~Spin.

Agreed. Some combo video-type shit LOL!

I'm not a Lao or Cage player, but from seeing the match play out fairly often, and judging from the opinion of both sides, I can't see the match being even. It's definitely in Cage's favor.
IDK. It's a weird matchup to categorize, numbers wise. Cage definitely keeps Lao on thin ice when it comes dealing with mobility shenanigans, but I'm not sure if he deals with them as decisively as Kitana or Cyrax does. There are still a few "what if"s Lao can entertain so to speak.

And IMO (for what it's worth) the talking point that Lao has bad pokes and is forced to get out of pressure with risky Spins has always been straw-clutch as hell. A good Cage will punish most D1s anyway unless you have the option to cancel into a fast safe mid/retreating option.

Besides, I wish my D1 bypassed player 1 trade advantage and gave me circa 30% meterless on hit lmao.

And IMO (for what it's worth) the talking point that Lao has bad pokes and is forced to get out of pressure with risky Spins has always been straw-clutch as hell. A good Cage will punish most D1s anyway unless you have the option to cancel into a fast safe mid/retreating option.

Besides, I wish my D1 bypassed player 1 trade advantage and gave me circa 30% meterless on hit lmao.
ppl think lao has bad pokes? standing 2 and d3 are awesome. d4 is ok. d2 is ok.

THTB

IDK. It's a weird matchup to categorize, numbers wise. Cage definitely keeps Lao on thin ice when it comes dealing with mobility shenanigans, but I'm not sure if he deals with them as decisively as Kitana or Cyrax does. There are still a few "what if"s Lao can entertain so to speak.

Lao's bad pokes are a legit issue, but not as much as everyone makes it out to be IMO, and he has spin anyway.

Cage doesn't stop Lao's mobility as hard as Kitana does, but honestly, I think the biggest issue is that Lao can't really rush Cage all that well simply due to his hitbox and gets his back blown out if he stays on the ground. That all together makes it hard for Lao to the point where I don't see it ever being even.

That's a big thing about facing Cage. If it's difficult for your character to keep Cage out of his normals range, you likely aren't gonna be dealing with an even matchup.

THTB

2 is a great interrupt normal, but because it's a high, it's not foolproof vs Cage due to his pressure involving d3 and d4. d3 is too slow and gets beat out hitbox-wise by f3. d2 and d4 are indeed okay, but not really a thing to write home about.

STRYKIE

It's hard to argue that a 7 frame D1 and 9 frame D3 aren't sub-par, Lao's D3 does lower his hitbox by quite some margin mind you but not enough to high crush F3.

Admittedly though some of the other "bad pokes" in the game were definitely exagerrated by the mid-2012 Cage activists. Like, a character have a poke that gave 1 frame less hitstun than the norm and they would immediately use that to chalk it up as a winning matchup for Cage lol.

It's hard to argue that a 7 frame D1 and 9 frame D3 aren't sub-par, Lao's D3 does lower his hitbox by quite some margin mind you but not enough to high crush F3.

Admittedly though some of the other "bad pokes" in the game were definitely exagerrated by the mid-2012 Cage activists. Like, a character have a poke that gave 1 frame less hitstun than the norm and they would immediately use that to chalk it up as a winning matchup for Cage lol.
all i can say is when i think bad pokes, KL is not the first to come to mind. especially as a noob saibot secondary

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
The only thing I saw that you could have capitilized on was:

1. Blow up F33B3~EXFB

2. Blow up Cage's D1. Cage is only +1 on a hit D1 and Lao can straight up 2,1 after any time Cage D1. When I play PBoard I NEVER get away with D1 -_- My onky option is D1 then D3 but that is easy to read and punish.

3. This perticular Cage was losing MASSIVE damage by converting D1 AA with only D1, F3~NP (13%) vs D1, 1, 2, 2, 44~NP so I would exploit that and jump/tele more.

STRYKIE

all i can say is when i think bad pokes, KL is not the first to come to mind. especially as a noob saibot secondary
I can agree to that much. With characters like Cyber Sub, you can literally take the hit on his D4 and it'll leave him at more disadvantage than he would be if you blocked it. #FailFish