What's new

"Agility" Meter

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
This is something I think they are going to have to fine tune in testing extensively well. I want to see how this mechanic plays out.

When I saw running specials that can be done while utilizing the run feature, I just about leapt for joy because of the new pace that this game is going to bring. It's going to be fast as hell and I love it. Kitana, Get your fine ass in this game already!!!

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
You can still zone fools, you can't just constantly backdash like a maniac let alone with a teleport like smoke away or freddys nonsense.

As a guile player I'm all for active zoning and controlling the pace instead sitting in the corner for a game i paid 60 dollars for but thats just me. Sorry M2dave.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I have scoured everything for an answer to this and have turned up nothing. Hell I even created a thread about it but nobody seems to know. This is honestley THE most important aspect to me because it will dictate pace, combo abiltiy, and stiffness. The lack of the abiltity to cancel a dash in Injustice was my largest complaint.
Watch the trailers again - they clearly cancel running into specials/normals/etc. It's hard to tell exactly if regular dashing gets cancelled but look at the trailer I think they do show both dashing and running being cancelled. I can't agree more - cancelling from dash is hype as shit and keeps the momentum real.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
From the gameplay it does recharge on its own and pretty fast.
So its just like the run meter in mk3 except you use it for stage interaction too. Pretty much stays stocked, but depletes fast so you can't spam it all the time, or abuse it for juggles beyond reason. If this is how it's going to be, I am extremely excited for it, I was hoping for this.

This is total speculation but it it could be used for cancelable moves too, like kabal's dash cancel. Some people said he should have to spend a bar for dash cancels, or he should only be able to cancel the ex dash. I thought that would have changed him too much, wouldn't have stayed true to what he was, however using mobility stock rather than ex stock would allow them to limit the cancels, or force him to do a longer block strings before canceling again. It would allow them to keep the core of the move the way they wanted it, but with a limitation.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
The TRMK dude said this about running.

So take that as you will.

No canceling forward dash with block? We need a more confident confirmation than this.

This would mean you could only cancel attacks from run but not from dash?

That agility meter just got 10000% more important if thats true because in the video you definitely see Sub Zero cancel his run into an attack.

Could you cancel from back dash too because it costs meter?

Actually.... Thinking about it... Id be ok with this.

Last edited:
Defensive style should also be rewarded.
That's fine to be rewarded just as well as when a rush down type gets in, but if you have a character like Kenshi who flat wrecks every character who needs to get in to do anything, then things become problematic and defense suddenly becomes the only way to play.

If we can shy away from that even a little then we have some progress ya know?

Usually in MK9 you don't "back dash" out of pressure. You reverse it.

You don't run away. You hit them back. Poke poke poke!
Man these new mechanics have me really worried how it will all come together, honestly I see no reason for the run button to have been reinstated into the series, but idk, we haven't seen a Zoner heavy character yet so I want to see how it deals with that. Exactly chuck getting out of pressure in MK9 was through smart poking, if a back dash with invisible frames cost meter I can respect that, since u might be dealing with a frame trap Cassie cage lol, but after that special dash is used and ur back in frame trap pressure u should have to get out MK9 style and smartly poke or armor ur way out.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Watch the trailers again - they clearly cancel running into specials/normals/etc. It's hard to tell exactly if regular dashing gets cancelled but look at the trailer I think they do show both dashing and running being cancelled. I can't agree more - cancelling from dash is hype as shit and keeps the momentum real.
I watched again with this in mind. I see dashes, and runs, being canceled into normals, specials, throws, and jumps. I see long back dashes that take half a stock of meter, and stage interactions taking the same. Forward running taking a little mobility meter? This is very exciting!

Man these new mechanics have me really worried how it will all come together, honestly I see no reason for the run button to have been reinstated into the series, but idk, we haven't seen a Zoner heavy character yet so I want to see how it deals with that. Exactly chuck getting out of pressure in MK9 was through smart poking, if a back dash with invisible frames cost meter I can respect that, since u might be dealing with a frame trap Cassie cage lol, but after that special dash is used and ur back in frame trap pressure u should have to get out MK9 style and smartly poke or armor ur way out.
Wait a minute.... if they are providing a game ability that costs resources to get out of pressure does this mean there are going to be characters in MKX with INSANE PRESSURE MANG!!?!

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
The problem is that the "meter" being used is a sort of quickly regenerating stamina bar for a back dash. On the surface ***IF*** (nobody has confirmed this yet) back dashes have invinvibility frames everyone had a Raiden type teleport to escape pressure and zoning will become pretty easy.

Also if you cannot dash block forward and there are free back dashes out of pressure and your opponent has to commit to a full dash then continuous pressure will be very difficult and zoning will be a little easier. Keep in mind this is all specualtion on my point but i'm fearing the worst (just my nature).

Last edited: