What's new

General/Other - Aftershock Aftershock Variation Discussion Thread

M2Dave

Zoning Master
what changed for aftershock in mkxl
The universal changes (i.e., more start up and recovery frames on up rock and damage reduction on the OTG).

When the community thinks of Tremor, they have this image in their head of DJT using Aftershock and dominating people, which is understandable considering that he has been the most successful Tremor player. However, I guarantee you that Crystalline has always been Tremor's best variation. Pre-patch Crystalline Tremor was a top 5 character. Aftershock was arguably high mid tier.

Pre-patch Crystalline could do 50% combos anywhere on the screen from an armored and advantageous launching EX special move.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
what changed for aftershock in mkxl
The Universal changes with the new up rock and the OTG

Both Aftershock and Metallic were heavily castrated by them because they didn't have the tools to deal with the nerfs.

Crystalline can compensate for them whereas those two cannot as they don't have a means nor a purpose to be up close IMHO.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
just wondering, do people know about Aftershock's hard to blockable OKI in the corner?

God Confirm

I think I know what you're talking about, can you be more specific. What setup?
can you be more specific? No offense but whenever somethin is posted, new or not, someone always calls it "known"... I'm checking if people know this before I tell people about it, it's nothing big but its worth knowing if you play the character so I thought I'd see if its well known or not

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
can you be more specific? No offense but whenever somethin is posted, new or not, someone always calls it "known"... I'm checking if people know this before I tell people about it, it's nothing big but its worth knowing if you play the character so I thought I'd see if its well known or not
Are you referring to the up rock and combined with the low earth shake htb? If so, that one is old and impractical, like day 1 stuff..

I'm pretty certain there is no variation specific htb.

EDIT: If it isn't share what you know @God Confirm

Last edited:
Are you referring to the up rock and combined with the low earth shake htb? If so, that one is old and impractical, like day 1 stuff..

I'm pretty certain there is no variation specific htb.

EDIT: If it isn't share what you know @God Confirm
I think he's talking about this one (go to 0:53):

End a corner combo with the opponent being in air then ex dd1 when they wake up blocking go for f121 db1d and the ground quake will hit at almost the same time as your overhead rock punch.

Credit goes to @Sharp, because after the recent nerfs this video is newsworthy again.

God Confirm

End a corner combo with the opponent being in air then ex dd1 when they wake up blocking go for f121 db1d and the ground quake will hit at almost the same time as your overhead rock punch.

Credit goes to @Sharp, because after the recent nerfs this video is newsworthy again.
its closer to this, that one isn't legit though its more smoke and mirrors, it LOOKS like a hard to blockable but in reality its not if you just block the overhead, the low Quake does hit but if you just block the overhead (regardless to whether you time it to hit before or after the low) after you get hit by the quake you just auto-block like you just got hit by a poke or something. This happens if you keep your opponent in blockstun before the animation hits, it seems that its designed to stop you locking someone down into a HTB.

But where there is a will, there's a way. I'll post up a video soon.

God Confirm

holy shit btw I just watched this full video. Talk about salty, the character is far from "potato tier" lol some people need to level tf up.

its closer to this, that one isn't legit though its more smoke and mirrors, it LOOKS like a hard to blockable but in reality its not if you just block the overhead, the low Quake does hit but if you just block the overhead (regardless to whether you time it to hit before or after the low) after you get hit by the quake you just auto-block like you just got hit by a poke or something. This happens if you keep your opponent in blockstun before the animation hits, it seems that its designed to stop you locking someone down into a HTB.

But where there is a will, there's a way. I'll post up a video soon.
Really appreciate it. Can't wait to see it, since Aftershock got weaker.

hmm I was going to make a video, then I realised its probably not worth it. Its a 2 bar set-up thjats kinda gimmicky

123~EX DD1 ender in the corner, then D3 Oki, and then follow it up with an EX Overhead punch, held for a millisecond. Its key that the Overhead hits second and they weren't in block stun, and you get a HTB into full combo.

Basically if your opponent doesn't have meter it will beat everything they have and force them into a hard to blockable. D3 stuffs wake ups, and the armor stuffs counter pokes if the D3 is blocked, and if they just hold block and respect it all they have to block your HTB. There is a tiny window to jab out however due to the fact that you delayed the Overhead punch, so thats why its kinda gimmicky if they are fully aware of the set-up. Still will catch people off guard in an unconditioned environment like a tourney however, most people are going to try to poke out immediately after blocking a D3 since even a blocked poke will cancel your ground pulse set-up.

HOWEVER the one thing making it kinda legit is that there's also a mix-up though, off the the same set-up. If they do have bar you can scout for wake up, punish the wake up if they do, if none and they are respecting the set-up or waiting to poke out of an Overhead slam, you can go straight into throw and and get a full combo off it. If they don't have a bar they probably won't be waking up as well, so this is a 50/50, the good thing is you can D3 oki to stuff any potential wake-ups as well and still go for the throw immediately after and get a combo

You can also mix-up by just starting the Overhead punch a bit later, if they are for some reason expecting the original set-up with the immediate armored counter poke so they choose to wait for the jab window, they will instead just have to block a HTB if you do this. So its sort of a 33/33/33 But thats just meta shit.

Sidenote that the set-up also lets you punish things like Goro's armor by neutral jumping his EX punch walk

its nothing game changing, but I'd probably want to know it if I mained Aftershock.
Thanks mate, I really appreciate the info. I played mostly Aftershock and certainly will check it out.

Rebourne07

The only Metallic player left
holy shit btw I just watched this full video. Talk about salty, the character is far from "potato tier" lol some people need to level tf up.
That's pre patch, half that stuff can't be done anymore and it was fair because of how high execution, meter heavy and positioning dependent it was.

God Confirm

That's pre patch, half that stuff can't be done anymore and it was fair because of how high execution, meter heavy and positioning dependent it was.
That was before the nerfs... And most of the set-ups were escapable.
if that video was made before the nerfs it just makes it even worse lol

character is perfectly fine now, before the nerfs he was even better

"potato tier" lol

if that video was made before the nerfs it just makes it even worse lol

character is perfectly fine now, before the nerfs he was even better

"potato tier" lol
Well people were already bitching back then that tremor was too op, because they couldn't block the overhead up rock low into low. Basically too lazy to learn how to block. So they took away the up rock to be able to combo off of it. In order of that the video was made. So yeah i can understand why it states "Potato Tier".

God Confirm

Well people were already bitching back then that tremor was too op, because they couldn't block the overhead up rock low into low. Basically too lazy to learn how to block. So they took away the up rock to be able to combo off of it. In order of that the video was made. So yeah i can understand why it states "Potato Tier".
lol just because a character is nerfed due to whining that does NOT automatically make him potato tier lol, character is fine, sounds like its the players who need to level up a little here, overhead rock drops were extremely strong oki even if you could block them every time

Last edited:
lol just because a character is nerfed due to whining that does NOT automatically make him potato tier lol, character is fine, sounds like its the players who need to level up a little here, overhead rock drops were extremely strong oki even if you could block them every time
Yeah but imagine they kept rock drop not being able to combo off. At least they came to their senses to put it back. Tremor is not potato level but far from the strong character he used to be. At least in Aftershock and even worse in Metallic. Crystalline ont the other hand is still strong.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
hmm I was going to make a video, then I realised its probably not worth it. Its a 2 bar set-up thjats kinda gimmicky

123~EX DD1 ender in the corner, then D3 Oki, and then follow it up with an EX Overhead punch, held for a millisecond. Its key that the Overhead hits second and they weren't in block stun, and you get a HTB into full combo.

Basically if your opponent doesn't have meter it will beat everything they have and force them into a hard to blockable. D3 stuffs wake ups, and the armor stuffs counter pokes if the D3 is blocked, and if they just hold block and respect it all they have to block your HTB. There is a tiny window to jab out however due to the fact that you delayed the Overhead punch, so thats why its kinda gimmicky if they are fully aware of the set-up. Still will catch people off guard in an unconditioned environment like a tourney however, most people are going to try to poke out immediately after blocking a D3 since even a blocked poke will cancel your ground pulse set-up.

HOWEVER the one thing making it kinda legit is that there's also a mix-up though, off the the same set-up. If they do have bar you can scout for wake up, punish the wake up if they do, if none and they are respecting the set-up or waiting to poke out of an Overhead slam, you can go straight into throw and and get a full combo off it. If they don't have a bar they probably won't be waking up as well, so this is a 50/50, the good thing is you can D3 oki to stuff any potential wake-ups as well and still go for the throw immediately after and get a combo

You can also mix-up by just starting the Overhead punch a bit later, if they are for some reason expecting the original set-up with the immediate armored counter poke so they choose to wait for the jab window, they will instead just have to block a HTB if you do this. So its sort of a 33/33/33 But thats just meta shit.

Sidenote that the set-up also lets you punish things like Goro's armor by neutral jumping his EX punch walk

its nothing game changing, but I'd probably want to know it if I mained Aftershock.
If they tech roll 123 they can punish you free right?