What's new

Aftermath DLC Story Mode spoiler discussion

xKMMx

Banned
he is dead in that timeline but both winners changed it at the end. in liu´s he is not born at that pont of time where the story continues and in shangs...kinda unknown but no matter what his death in the story timeline doesnt mean he cant come back.

i liked the story mode for what it was and i hope they really continue with a mortal kombat during the timeline of the great kung lao.
DI love it if that ending was the run up to the aforementioned prequel game. What a perfect way to swerve off this timeline and get back to some oldschool shit where we can see a ton of original characters. I gotta be honest Im pretty much over most of the cast from the original game. COme to think of it I actually hate em all

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I agree. And I will concede that both of the endings were the best part of the story; but if there IS more story to come, the Shang ending is going to be the one they run with and end the game on.
Liu going back to train the original Lao means that he in all likelihood defeats Goro in the Ninth Tournament, negating the original events and providing the clean reset. But that's as final an ending as you can get, so I doubt it's going to be where they stop if there's more to come.

Going the other way adds up. MK started with Shang as the end-all-be-all bad guy before Shao Kahn was introduced, so it should end with him as the final big bad. Giving him the Thanos treatment with the crown puts him in the Onaga/Blaze end of the road tier. And with Earthrealm, Outworld, the Netherrealm, and all of their representatives being as fleshed out and conquered as possible, that means that you can go full crazy with Chaosrealm, Seido/Orderrealm, and Edenia, where the Pyramid Of Argus can still rise somewhere in this time-fractured universe.

Geras is still in Chaosrealm, and will almost certainly factor in to how whoever's left to fight will be going about their plans, mad as all fuck because his master is gone.
Johnny and Cassie are canonical descendants of Seido, which is the source of the power both of them used to beat Shinnok, and is almost definitely why they were kept alive, so that gives Hotaru and the Seidan Guardsmen incentive to cooperate.
Finally, if all things began in Edenia with Argus and Delia, setting it all in motion with Blaze, Taven, Daegon and the Pyramid, that's still the only place the whole thing can end.

Plus, look at that last big leak and who it told us were going to be the among the last DLC: Ashrah, Quan Chi, Havik, Daegon, and Kai.
That's the Chaosrealm king we've been waiting for for YEARS; the Son Of Argus and founder of the Red Dragon who, in his head, is destined to be Ruler of All; the last living White Lotus in now-conquered Earthrealm with no Liu or Lao left standing; the Oni Demoness who was saved by a magic Edenian sword and likely used it to escape the now-conquered Netherrealm; and the Peter Baelish sorcerer who set all these insane events in motion, who is probably hiding somewhere in Outworld trying to raise Onaga and his army. Every angle and realm is represented, and they all have three brand new realms to work in.

Going the Empire Strikes Back route makes as much sense as sense can be made out of all of this.
One correction: Geras escaped Havik. He returns to Kronika (off-screen) and intercepts Shao Kahn and Sindel, only to be killed by them.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
One correction: Geras escaped Havik. He returns to Kronika (off-screen) and intercepts Shao Kahn and Sindel, only to be killed by them.
I don't know how I missed that. Fuck. Good eye, man.
That character plays his part as an emotionless tool WAY too well, so I barely noticed.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
People talking about “what happened to these characters?”, “Said character was left alive/taken captive”, “is Kotal dead?” are missing the point.

None of it matters. NONE. The timeline got reset in both endings. What happened before the timeline got reset doesn’t matter and is null and void now.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
People talking about “what happened to these characters?”, “Said character was left alive/taken captive”, “is Kotal dead?” are missing the point.

None of it matters. NONE. The timeline got reset in both endings. What happened before the timeline got reset doesn’t matter and is null and void now.
That's what we thought at the end of the base game.

We now have the 'Void', which shields characters from fucking Time/Space manipulation itself. We could easily see a deity saving the KP2 characters and some of the good guys to rally against Shang Tsung in Aftermath 2.0.

Not saying it WILL be like this, but it's a possibility.

I utterly adored this story expansion. I don't typically like the good characters, but playing as Nightwolf and Fujin was super fun.

Playing as Shao Kahn and Sindel though? The single most fun I've had in any part of any story in any MK game. Delightfully evil, powerful AND I got to whoop on all the awfully dull good guy characters I've been forced to follow for the last few games?! MORE OF THIS PLZ NRS

I genuinely don't understand the complaints about retcons or whatever as if it's something new that NRS/Midway has never done before.

Remember when the Deadly Alliance killed Shao Kahn? PSYCH it was a body double.

Remember when Johnny Cage was killed off screen in MK2 and then by MK4 they were like ehhhhh he's alive again for... some reason.

The power level complaints are silly too because they've also been all over the place. Liu Kang defeated Goro, Shang Tsung and Shao Kahn TWICE only to be hit with a one single fireball to the back and was unable to resist having his neck snapped. Like wut? He should have taken them to school.

Nobody here seems to scrutinize all the old, crappy inconsistencies because it wasn't all presented in an easily digestible cinematic form and because rose tinted glasses. Nobody wants to admit they're fans of a franchise that has always been silly, poorly written and stitched together.

It's supposed to be campy, 80's, kung fu movie inspired fun. Just have fun.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
All I can say is that the Aftermath story proves that Shao Kahn may have been Emperor, but Shang Tsung has always and will always be the biggest, baddest threat.

I didn't like the Sindel retcon but I enjoyed the story overall. The ending felt a lot more complete than the original one. It feels kinda like a Shang/Fujin road movie.
I do have some problems with the characters though.

In MK11 story Kronika is a universe ending threat. In Aftermath she is nothing without a crown. Fujin and Shang Tsung beat her in the middle of the story. It's kinda hard to be threatened when her big powerup is eating Cetrion and your big powerup is eating Shao, Sindel, Raiden, Fujin and some more on the way + the crown.

Raiden feels like NRS fully embraced the blunder god meme. He can't do anything right. Sindel cracks a joke about him being incompetent (despite fighting off Shao's invasion for a very long time), he falls to Shinnok's amulet in seconds, he can't do anything good for Liu Kang or his revenant. I don't know why, but he feels kinda like a caricature of himself.

Kitana was foolish enough to spare Shao's life, and by "spare" I mean "Sindel walks in on him about to be murdered". Everything goes too well for them, especially with the Shokan and Osh-Tekk.

What exactly is the power of the elder god? Discounting Liu Kang, who is kind of an anomaly, Cetrion could be beat by an Edenian. She might be strong, but there are multiple Edenians out there. Was Shao right and Elder Gods are just toothless worms and it took all of them to stop him?

I genuinely don't understand the complaints about retcons or whatever as if it's something new that NRS/Midway has never done before.
Just because you messed up in the past doesn't mean you should keep doing it. It's called growth and taking pride in one's work.

The power level complaints are silly too because they've also been all over the place.
Power level complaints are not silly, because in a story about fighting, they keep the story together. I want writers to be creative, but not just anything should be able to happen. It's extremely lazy and makes for a contrived story that appears to be written by an uncaring writer when characters are beating characters they've been shown to be weaker than. Strong characters are strong, weak characters are weak, and that shouldn't be changed just so certain characters can have their moment.

Nobody here seems to scrutinize all the old, crappy inconsistencies because it wasn't all presented in an easily digestible cinematic form and because rose tinted glasses.
I do. I'm sure others do as well. We're not talking about it in this thread because this thread is about Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath.

xKMMx

Banned
I don't know how I missed that. Fuck. Good eye, man.
That character plays his part as an emotionless tool WAY too well, so I barely noticed.
Honestly no gameplay involved I think Geras is the shittiest character out of all of the new ones. Cant see him coming back for another game. Would have been way more interesting to see them give Kollector a bigger role. But then again I hate all the new characters this time around from a character design aspect so it is what it is . MKX def introduced cooler characters.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Well, I think Geras was fine. He was a goon that looked sinister enough, I think he could have potential in finding a new master (Havik?) and doing stuff.

Kollector, however, is wasted potential. There is a few instances were he acts like an advisor to Shao Kahn and that's very interesting, but they do almost nothing with it. In the end he's just another enforcer that gets his ass kicked.

Cetrion is trash. The marketing about her was misleading, she is incredibly dumb and in the end she's just another Shinnok but way less cooler.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Can someone remind me where this Aftermath 2.0 speculation comes from?
There was a real big Reddit leak a while back speculating about Aftermath and what comes after. Almost all of it has come true so far, and aside from whether or not Slade and John Wick are going to be the last guests, it makes a whole bunch of sense.

xKMMx

Banned

We now have the 'Void', which shields characters from fucking Time/Space manipulation itself. We could easily see a deity saving the KP2 characters and some of the good guys to rally against Shang Tsung in Aftermath 2.0.

That's what kind of takes away from any of the potential drama. THey don't have the balls to actually kill anyone off for real. How fuckin bad ass would it be for them to just have an original character killed off for good? Fan boys would cry but fuck man that's good story telling and at this point it would be great for them to just move the series along to the point that eventually we have a roster with at least 50 percent new generation characters. That's my vision anyway.. From a business perspective though I don't know how good of an idea it would be because loyalists will shit their pants.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
There was a real big Reddit leak a while back speculating about Aftermath and what comes after. Almost all of it has come true so far, and aside from whether or not Slade and John Wick are going to be the last guests, it makes a whole bunch of sense.
Thanks. Yes, it looks like it got some things right. I have my doubts about some characters listed there, but you never know.

And the recent thing with Sektor has casted a lot of doubt over most of the leaks.

xKMMx

Banned
Thanks. Yes, it looks like it got some things right. I have my doubts about some characters listed there, but you never know.

And the recent thing with Sektor has casted a lot of doubt over most of the leaks.
KK showed Robocop has a sector skin so maybe another hint at Sektor coming

That's what kind of takes away from any of the potential drama. THey don't have the balls to actually kill anyone off for real. How fuckin bad ass would it be for them to just have an original character killed off for good? Fan boys would cry but fuck man that's good story telling and at this point it would be great for them to just move the series along to the point that eventually we have a roster with at least 50 percent new generation characters. That's my vision anyway.. From a business perspective though I don't know how good of an idea it would be because loyalists will shit their pants.
People can't even handle their character missing one game, let alone being killed off for good. They can't even keep characters they don't like permanently dead, they brought back Moloch and Hsu Hao's heads as intros lol

Pizza

Thrill Kill

If (big If) the Aftermath 2.0 thing is real, the best course of action is to follow Shang Tsung's ending. You can have Havik, Hotaru and the rumored members of the Brotherhood of the Shadow form an alliance to defeat Shang Tsung and his minions.

With Noob Saibot already in the game, it's interesting how the leaks proposed the return of almost every relevant member of the Brotherhood of the Shadow: Quan Chi, Shinnok (or Taven/Shinnok), Sareena, even Reiko to some extent.

But for MK12 I think they'll probably go with Liu Kang's ending.