What's new

After jumping back into tekken I think MK should further copy some of tekken's base mechanics. Thoughts?

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
the one thing they did manage to copy but did completely wrong was rage arts aka fatal blows. rage art are pretty balanced in how they work compared to fatal blows. there are varying types of fatal blows. mid screen, fullscreen, tracking, overhead. fatal blows have no super flash so when they come out you had better been ready 5 seconds ago to block. most of them are pseudo unpunishable having decent pushback for whatever reason combined with no block buffering in mk.

That's honestly the biggest fucking problem. No super flash. Makes just throwing them out in Neutral an actual strategy

Jbog

Noob
Agree fatal blow is so annoying animations are stupid and long and regenerating is a joke never the less armor totally retarded

Jbog

Noob
The garbage block stun and being anti aired by low pokes and mid strikes is absolutely garbage this happens in no other fighting games but crouching pokes and lows are the stardard for nrs fighting games. Just dumb

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The garbage block stun and being anti aired by low pokes and mid strikes is absolutely garbage this happens in no other fighting games but crouching pokes and lows are the stardard for nrs fighting games. Just dumb
SFV Bison flat out crouch jabs you out of the air as an anti-air.

DeftMonk

Noob
I am not so sure any sort of slow down/flash would really do anything in mk11. The worst offenders like geras/kabal/jax usually don't pull the trigger unless you hit a button anyway. How many kabal/jax players have you seen with fatal blow walking towards you with their finger on FB? lol

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Nrs should stick to core mechanics that worked and improve them to make them work even better, instead of introducing new ones in every new game just for the sake of innovating at all costs.

Until then, the franchise will always be seen as more crazy and casual friendly than other thing. If that's their goal, it's ok.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Nrs should stick to core mechanics that worked and improve them to make them work even better, instead of introducing new ones in every new game just for the sake of innovating at all costs.

Until then, the franchise will always be seen as more crazy and casual friendly than other thing. If that's their goal, it's ok.
Yeah I mean most games are aimed at casuals more than the hardcore now I've noticed, that I'm fine with as long as they offer tools for more serious play. My issue is like you said, they should stick to their own mechanics like MK 9 they worked well but NRS lately the phrase "If it's not broke, don't fix it" comes to mind. They try to get fancy and have to screw with shit and winds up making it worse.

DeftMonk

Noob
ya honestly when I made this thread #1 I was extremely far from sober and #2 I wasn't saying this for sure would improve mk gameplay I just hear SOOO many tekken/anime fighter/sf players saying they are not interested in this game because of the crouch pokes and A. how dumb they look/ b. how useful they are. I really love mk and while i play literally everything under the sun I am constantly trying to spread mk to other people... that response is literally 90% of people's response. If I bring my ps4 to a guy's house who plays GG or KoF and try to show him mk...after about 5 min of playing me he will start to roll his eyes every time I down poke and be like this game is dumb.

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
That's honestly the biggest fucking problem. No super flash. Makes just throwing them out in Neutral an actual strategy
That's the real issue. They are insanely hard to react to. So you see way more Fatal Blows used outside of combos than within them.

Sometimes we try to think up too many strategies for simple things.

I'm just one person with a singular opinion but if Fatal Blows:

1. Had a Super Flash so players could react with Blocking or Ducking.

2. are done outside of a combo you don't get the full animation. Instead it just grants just a Slow Motion knockback (like Injustice 2's Wagers) with reduced damage.

3. They can regenerate between rounds as opposed to during them (still on per match).

---

They game is just year old and so many complaints and adjustments have been make to Tekken's Rage Arts and Rage Drives between it's original arcade release and now.

I hope I don't get executed for this saying this but am I the only one who finds Tekken extremely boring to watch? Out of all fighting games in existence I find Tekken to be the most boring of them all, I don't see any variety in character's playstyle at all. Maybe it's because I've never played a Tekken game but all I see it's characters punching, kicking and dashing everywhere with zero difference between any characters other than Akuma. This might get labeled as the biggest scrub quote ever but that's all I see.

Anyways, I think MK11 should make pokes more plus on hit and more minus on block, that would be an improvement.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I hope I don't get executed for this saying this but am I the only one who finds Tekken extremely boring to watch? Out of all fighting games in existence I find Tekken to be the most boring of them all, I don't see any variety in character's playstyle at all. Maybe it's because I've never played a Tekken game but all I see it's characters punching, kicking and dashing everywhere with zero difference between any characters other than Akuma. This might get labeled as the biggest scrub quote ever but that's all I see.

Anyways, I think MK11 should make pokes more plus on hit and more minus on block, that would be an improvement.
Nothing wrong with your opinion. Not everyone's going to find everything enjoyable.

I will say, though, game knowledge goes a long way in shaping your perception. I'd say get into it a little bit and get an understanding of things within the game.

Random question:

How would the game play if there were no low pokes? Everything else stays the same, how would the game look and play because of it?

Jbog

Noob
2 things that kill this game pokes and block recovery frames just get rid of block animation recovery frames it sucks and make pokes more plus on hit and more minus on block game fixed!! But they wont till after the pro series so till then well all just be on tym and bitch. Makes no sense just fix it 300000 casual players 300 pros whos making you money nrs lets make this game fun

Jbog

Noob
Or just put mk9 backwards compatibility on xbox one and ps4 and fix its netcode and well all quit mk11 and leave it to the pros

IMO no Tekken, KI or SF mechanics, thanks!

I have never understood these kind of arguments to be honest. Apart from the fact that MK is not a 3D fighter, I prefer Mortal Kombat to be Mortal Kombat. I like NRS fighters and a play NRS fighters because they're not Street Fighter, Tekken or Killer Instinct. I like that Injustice has Stage Transitions, Character Traits and a wager system and I like that MK is a different beast on its own. Now it's about fishing for Krushing Blows and poke yourself into death because of Fatal Blows. The latter was just changed as the Kommunity was konstantly krying for it, now it should be like Tekken? That's a NO from my part.

If you like all the fighters, play all the fighters, each for its own strenghts and uniqueness. But as far as NRS fighters go, I want my pokes, dial-a-kombos and stupidity even if I tear my hair out when it's working against me.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I don't think it's wise to have influences from different game especially when it's 2D vs 3D.

Fatal blows seem to be heavily influenced from rage arts in Tekken and that didn't turn out well lol.

If you don't want to give mids to everyone, just make short hops immune to pokes after 6th or 7th frame. U2s and U3s become a very legit solution if you think they're gonna mash pokes, and their risk reward is already perfectly balanced to be used a poke crush move.