What's new

Advice on mashing/timing/not choking please

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
@Doombawkz Christ man really really appreciate all this wisdom honestly, I'm gonna need to spend more time in the lab for sure. I'm going to especially work with the windows, I always got to remind myself at least on some of the string that "hey.. you have PLENTY of time to input the rest of the string, the character does indeed have to DO the combo, I have plenty of time."

It was just weird watching Sonicfox play online and as Jax and just obviously had a gameplan, like sometimes I'll find myself being like oh shit can't do anything with Jax from far lemme sprint at this motherfucker and boom punished, just little stupid stuff like that, need a better gameplan sometimes. It baffled me when I learned how important pokes were and stuff, putting the AI on always block and reversal helped a lot.

Anyway, thanks again, gotta hit the lab with these ideas in mind.
One more thing I would recommend is working more on set-ups than combos. Combos are combos, you can flub a 20% combo and be fine, but what matters (at least for Jax from what I understand) is that you are able to keep the opponent in that pressure. For that, its more important to know what your options are after enders, what your opponents options are, and how you can answer them. I recommend putting the opponent on "random techroll" as thats the most common and easiest way to break pressure, but the random nature will ensure it doesn't become a purely conditioned response.

infamy23

FireBeard
@infamy23 One last question sir, what is the difference between doing a rocket cancel and simply not pulling the rocket out at all and continuing the combo?

I've heard that the rocket cancels are used to extend combos and provide more pressure, I just can't wrap my head around the difference between doing the rocket cancel or not? Does doing the rocket cancel keep you plus or something? Or does it just extend the string basically? Like I played Raiden for a while when I first started until I started attempting the LRC, I was like yeah I'm not ready for this. Don't get me wrong I still play Raiden and is very easy to play, especially against my friends, he just seems to damn punishable against competent people I kinda stay away from him.
It's not only about pressure, it's more about safety.

bf2d is -17 on block.

When you play against people who know the matchup, they are not going to get hit by 123 or 23 because they are going to guess high or low for the first hit of every string, and if they don't see a b2, they are immediately going to block low which makes the low hit of those strings useless against good players.

So, if you do something like 123 bf2d, or 23 bf2d, or f4 bf2d when you're trying to open someone up, it is most likely going to get blocked, and you are going to get full combo punished.

Let's say my opponent has shown a tendency to walk forward and try to open me up with d4 so that he can get frame advantage. I see him walking forward, and I anticipate that he's going to d4, so I go for a f3 EXbf2d to catch him moving forward.

On paper this may seem like a good idea, because there is a good chance that it will hit, and I'll get 37% and put my opponent in the corner which is a huge payoff.

The problem is, this is also a huge risk, because if my opponent is smart enough to try and bait me, he might run up and block, and then I'm the one who loses 35% and gets put in the corner.

So instead of making a risky play like that, I would do f3 rocket cancel 123.

If the f3 hits, I will have more time to visually confirm and continue safely into my EXbf2d.

If the f3 is blocked, I will have more time to visually confirm and cancel into something safer like bf2 or db1

Another scenario is you go for a midscreen jump-in and your opponent fails to anti-air. This gives you a free 50/50 on him.

The problem is, 34 EXbf2d does not work midscreen, so you are forced to use b3 EXbf2d or b2 EXbf2d

The b2 is not cancellable so you don't have to worry about being -17 on that one. But if you choose to go for the low, you are taking a huge risk.

By doing b3 rocket cancel 123, you can hit confirm and keep yourself safe. This essentially gives Jax a "safe" 50/50 which is very dangerous in this game. (It's not actually safe, because rocket cancels are punishable, but it forces your opponent to make an active read on what you're doing instead of just blocking and waiting for you to be -17)

Personally, I can't stand playing wrestler/pumped-up because without rocket cancels, you are constantly taking huge risks to open people up. Heavy Weapons is not exactly the safest variation either, but it prevents your opponent from just turtling and waiting for you to give them a free combo. The rocket cancels force them to take action against your offense if they want to punish you. If they just sit there and block, you will always be able to confirm and keep yourself safe.

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Calm is key. Personally I've never struggled with mashing buttons in clutch moments but I know some people that do every single time and lose because of it. I think experience is a key factor as well as having an outlet for your excess energy.

I can't get worked up. There's so much to study in how your opponent plays that if you get hyped up too much you miss punishes, baits, holes in their strings and etc.

Combo consistency comes through execution. Not in training though. Stationary target is okay when you first learn. Quickly move to towers. Endless and survivor is awesome for this.

Ultimately if you are going to get serious about this, teach your friends how to play and verse them. Go to locals. Do casuals at tournaments and ultimately put time into it. All the pieces will click eventually. I was thinking jax may just be too quick of a character for a first character. Possibility? Sometimes people do better starting with characters who's inputs are time intensive. ESPECIALLY online.

FuzzyDunlop

AC/DC Bag > Ghost
Calm is key. Personally I've never struggled with mashing buttons in clutch moments but I know some people that do every single time and lose because of it. I think experience is a key factor as well as having an outlet for your excess energy.

I can't get worked up. There's so much to study in how your opponent plays that if you get hyped up too much you miss punishes, baits, holes in their strings and etc.

Combo consistency comes through execution. Not in training though. Stationary target is okay when you first learn. Quickly move to towers. Endless and survivor is awesome for this.

Ultimately if you are going to get serious about this, teach your friends how to play and verse them. Go to locals. Do casuals at tournaments and ultimately put time into it. All the pieces will click eventually. I was thinking jax may just be too quick of a character for a first character. Possibility? Sometimes people do better starting with characters who's inputs are time intensive. ESPECIALLY online.
Yeah I'm going to start going back into towers and stuff, cause as like you said, doing it in the lab is super easy now. For the lab I'm going to work on my setups (would you consider pokes/jump in punch a setup?).

Kung Lao and Kotal Kahn were actually my first serious characters when I first bought the game, and I still consider KL one of my pocket characters for sure; but I do agree with you, Jax is probably not the best for a beginner other than the fact that you can accidentally do a lot of damage perhaps.

FuzzyDunlop

AC/DC Bag > Ghost
It's not only about pressure, it's more about safety.

So instead of making a risky play like that, I would do f3 rocket cancel 123.

If the f3 hits, I will have more time to visually confirm and continue safely into my EXbf2d.

If the f3 is blocked, I will have more time to visually confirm and cancel into something safer like bf2 or db1

Another scenario is you go for a midscreen jump-in and your opponent fails to anti-air. This gives you a free 50/50 on him.

The problem is, 34 EXbf2d does not work midscreen, so you are forced to use b3 EXbf2d or b2 EXbf2d

The b2 is not cancellable so you don't have to worry about being -17 on that one. But if you choose to go for the low, you are taking a huge risk.

By doing b3 rocket cancel 123, you can hit confirm and keep yourself safe. This essentially gives Jax a "safe" 50/50 which is very dangerous in this game. (It's not actually safe, because rocket cancels are punishable, but it forces your opponent to make an active read on what you're doing instead of just blocking and waiting for you to be -17)

Personally, I can't stand playing wrestler/pumped-up because without rocket cancels, you are constantly taking huge risks to open people up. Heavy Weapons is not exactly the safest variation either, but it prevents your opponent from just turtling and waiting for you to give them a free combo. The rocket cancels force them to take action against your offense if they want to punish you. If they just sit there and block, you will always be able to confirm and keep yourself safe.
This is a game changer dude, like truly, sigh may need to go back to heavy weapons now because the cancels aren't that hard, I just gotta figure out the fastest way to do it. And most times you don't have to RC after it so it can't be as hard as Raidens was. I just never understood the WHY people did it, but I didn't realize you had enough time to hit confirm and be confident you can execute bf2d. I feel like that's my biggest problem both offline and live, I'll execute the full string on occasion just gambling and even my buddy who plays Raiden just sits there, blocks it, I'm -17 (I assume) and he confidently does a b2 and I'm in the corner.

If you're willing to continue the conversion I have another question. What are your, I guess maybe they'd be called setups, what do you use to open them up? Like I'm pretty sure if I connect a JIP2 and confirm it I can confidently do f21 bf2d, do simple pokes like d3 or d4 achieve anything? Perhaps let me list some that I think I'm aware of and are fairly safe:
  • f3
  • f4 (is this always safe on block? I feel like I've gotten punished after missing this)
  • jip2
  • b32 (is this safe)
  • I may be too vague but just trying to get a better gameplan going, I've learned a lot of characters but I really want to master Jax
Final questions for this session:
1. d12 - I like crouching sometimes and mixing it up with the d12, what is the value here? Can I proceed after connecting both with a string, or is it more of a conditioning tool/mixup? Maybe I mess around with the d12 a bit, they start blocking low then immediately stand and b2 them or something?

2. Not Jax related, I've heard the term being at a frame advantage, the best way I understand it is that after doing a string you are so plus that your opponent has to continue to block while you execute another string? Because you're at a frame advantage its basically not their turn to press buttons? I've heard JC and Tanya have stuff like this?

Zaccel

Noob
Calm is key. Personally I've never struggled with mashing buttons in clutch moments but I know some people that do every single time and lose because of it. I think experience is a key factor as well as having an outlet for your excess energy...
I was thinking jax may just be too quick of a character for a first character. Possibility? Sometimes people do better starting with characters who's inputs are time intensive. ESPECIALLY online.
This. My two cents:

Ever hear of the Centipede's Dilemma? If you're finding yourself executing consistently on a dummy, but start mashing and dropping like crazy when you fight people, it may be an issue of experience, but also of concentration.

I have a friend who's also fond of Jax and also repeatedly drops RC f21, 11 etc. He has no problem doing this in training, and it's because he isn't preoccupied with thoughts of a match there. Once he starts fighting me, he recognizes the need to land his combos consistently (and the life lead, and the meters, etc.), making himself nervous and liable to drop. It's like me saying you're breathing manually, or asking how often you blink, or saying your tongue has no good spot in your mouth and just sits there. Becoming aware of the wrong thing can be problematic. He's lost matches before because he came close to winning, recognized how close he was, and had that at the forefront of his mind instead of the combo he was doing.

In his case, my best advice was copying Gootecks' immortal "do less". This is where experience comes in handy--the more you play, the less you'll feel the need to play Starcraft in neutral and the less you'll feel the need to think about how you're doing. Once you've played enough, combos (and anti-air and whatever else) will become second nature, and you'll find yourself dropping them less and less because, aside from raw practice, you won't be thinking so hard about how to do it.

FuzzyDunlop

AC/DC Bag > Ghost
This. My two cents:

Ever hear of the Centipede's Dilemma? If you're finding yourself executing consistently on a dummy, but start mashing and dropping like crazy when you fight people, it may be an issue of experience, but also of concentration.

I have a friend who's also fond of Jax and also repeatedly drops RC f21, 11 etc. He has no problem doing this in training, and it's because he isn't preoccupied with thoughts of a match there. Once he starts fighting me, he recognizes the need to land his combos consistently (and the life lead, and the meters, etc.), making himself nervous and liable to drop. It's like me saying you're breathing manually, or asking how often you blink, or saying your tongue has no good spot in your mouth and just sits there. Becoming aware of the wrong thing can be problematic. He's lost matches before because he came close to winning, recognized how close he was, and had that at the forefront of his mind instead of the combo he was doing.

In his case, my best advice was copying Gootecks' immortal "do less". This is where experience comes in handy--the more you play, the less you'll feel the need to play Starcraft in neutral and the less you'll feel the need to think about how you're doing. Once you've played enough, combos (and anti-air and whatever else) will become second nature, and you'll find yourself dropping them less and less because, aside from raw practice, you won't be thinking so hard about how to do it.
Appreciate the thoughts, never really considered that. In a match I'm paying attention to meter, whether they can break or not, their life level, my life level, whenever my string become second nature it will all flow a lot better.

I played poker part-time for a period during college and can definitely understand how tilt can affect your play, without a doubt, luckily I don't really bring the tilt into the next match because I guess I don't expect to win, it's just when I drop the end part of a combo that would have won me the match am I like well shit.

Experience and concentration will get better through patience and minutes played, once again thanks for the thoughts sir.

infamy23

FireBeard
*INCOMING HUGE POST* lol. I get the impression that FuzzyDunlop doesn't mind reading my rambling posts so this is for him, not the general reader of this thread.

Not Jax related, I've heard the term being at a frame advantage, the best way I understand it is that after doing a string you are so plus that your opponent has to continue to block while you execute another string? Because you're at a frame advantage its basically not their turn to press buttons? I've heard JC and Tanya have stuff like this?
I'll answer this question first, because understanding this concept is a big part of Jax's gameplan.

Frame advantage = You can press a button before your opponent can.

That does not automatically mean he can't press buttons, it depends on the situation.

Tanya for example, can end her combos with df2~df1. This leaves her at a frame advantage of +10. (this is referred to as a standing reset)

Her b1 is a 9 frame move, so it will make contact 10 frames after you press the button.

So if she presses b1 in this situation, it will hit you before you even have a chance to press anything. This is a situation where you literally cannot press a button. Jax does not have anything like this. (at least not in HW. I think energy wave in Pumped Up is +7 which might guarantee a standing 1 but I'm not sure)

*if* her b1 was an 11 frame move, then it would make contact 12 frames after you press the button. Her opponent is only -10, so he is able to press a button on frame 11. This would create a 2 frame gap, where he would be able to input an armored special, and armor through your b1.

What are your, I guess maybe they'd be called setups, what do you use to open them up? Like I'm pretty sure if I connect a JIP2 and confirm it I can confidently do f21 bf2d, do simple pokes like d3 or d4 achieve anything? Perhaps let me list some that I think I'm aware of and are fairly safe:
  • f3
  • f4 (is this always safe on block? I feel like I've gotten punished after missing this)
  • jip2
  • b32 (is this safe)
  • I may be too vague but just trying to get a better gameplan going, I've learned a lot of characters but I really want to master Jax
There are many ways to get damage in a fighting game, such as block & punish, whiff punishing, anti-airing, zoning, reversals.

These are all pretty straight forward, but "opening people up" is almost like an art form. It requires that you constantly read your opponent's defensive tendencies. I could write a novel on this subject but I don't think you're at that level yet so I'll stick to the basics.

Your goal when trying to start your offense, is to gain frame advantage, and if possible, to keep frame advantage until you land a hit.

If you throw out a f3 or f4 in the neutral game, you are putting yourself at -15 (for f4) or -22 (for f3). These will not give you frame advantage, but instead they leave you punishable or at the very least, you will be put into a defensive situation. You could cancel these pokes into bf2 and be -7, which is basically safe, but it still does not allow you to begin your offense.

If you go for a Ji2, you are putting yourself at risk of being anti-aired. But that doesn't mean you should never do it. You need to force people to focus on the air as well as the ground, so a well timed Ji2 is a great way to start your offense. Reason being, is that Ji2 can be cancelled into literally anything. So even if they block it, you are now free to do whatever you want, and that means your offense has officially begun.

b3d2 is +2 on block, so it can be used as a mix-up (along with b2), or as a way to keep frame advantage (otherwise known as a frame trap)

d12 - I like crouching sometimes and mixing it up with the d12, what is the value here? Can I proceed after connecting both with a string, or is it more of a conditioning tool/mixup? Maybe I mess around with the d12 a bit, they start blocking low then immediately stand and b2 them or something?
d12 is one of Jax's best tools, and he is the only character in the game that has something like this.

Essentially, it gives his d1 the best frame advantage in the game, at the cost of being punishable by armor, and being much easier to counter poke on block.

In MKX, d1's and d3's are very important because they go under high attacks and throws. So for example, if you were to do 123 db1 against Raiden, and you notice that he has a tendency to respond to this with f12 after he blocks, you can counter hit him with d1 / d3 / d4 because f1 is a high attack.

When Reptile or Ermac runs up to you and does d3, d3, overhead (as they love to do online), you can block either of these d3's and counter poke with d1 which will put a stop to his offense.

These are 2 common situations where someone would press d1. Now in Jax's case, his d1 can be continued into d12 if you think it's going to hit someone. This puts Jax at +23. There is no other character in the game that gets that kind of frame advantage from a d1, which is why this string is so amazing.

To reiterate what I mean, if Reptile runs up to you and does d3 d3 overhead. You block the d3, and counter poke with d12, you have now completely reversed the situation. Reptile went from being on offense, to being -23. Now Jax is the one who is on offense and he can do whatever he wants with these 23 frames of advantage.

At this point you should have a better understanding of what frame advantage is and why it's so important when talking about offense. So let's go over some basic things that Jax can do to take advantage of these concepts.

1. JiP into a mix-up, or a frame trap. If you get them to block a JiP, you are free to do whatever you want. You can go for a straight up high/low, with b3 RC 123 or b2 EXbf2d. If you confirm they are blocking after b3 RC, you can go for 11 (+2) or b121 (+1), or you can just throw them. You can also do JiP f21 (+1) and go straight for the frame trap instead of the high/low.

2. Against people who have shown you that they won't press buttons during your rocket cancels, you can go for f3 RC 11 or f3 RC throw. This essentially turns your f3 into a +2 poke, and allows you to start your offense from a far greater range. Smart players will catch on to this, and start poking or armoring after the f3. This opens up a new mind game where you can make a hard read and do f3 EXbf2d to punish them severely for pressing a button, or f3 RC block to bait their armor and punish it.

3. Throw out a f21 in neutral. This string is +1 on block, it's a mid, so they *usually* cannot down poke under it, and it has absurd range. Whether it gets blocked or not, you can start your offense. (+1 on block, +17 on hit)

You'll notice that the common theme here is to make them block something that gives you frame advantage, so that you can land a counter hit, that gives you even more frame advantage, which then allows you to go for a mix-up, or start the frame trap cycle over again.

4 is +2
f21 is +1
11 is +2
b121 is +1
b3d2 is +2

If you can get them to block any of these strings, you can go for a d12. Your d1 is 7 frames, this means that if you are +1, your d1 will come out in 6 frames, which makes it tied for the fastest d1 in the game. It will trade with other characters who have 6f d1's, like Goro, Kotal, Quan, but they will need to press the button exactly on that frame, which is very difficult for them because they don't know the blockstun of your moves as well as you do. This frame trap will usually result in a counter hit, if they try to press something.

If you are +2, your d1 comes out in 5 frames, which means it will beat ANY poke in the game.

If your d12 is blocked, you are -7 and your offensive pressure is over. But, there is a mind game here that allows you to continue. If you think they will poke after the d12, you can just EXbf2d and blow them up. This is super risky, but people can be very predictable with their counter poking habits, so you just have to pay attention and make the read. (you said you played poker, so you should understand this concept quite well. Sometimes you must take calculated risk, to make people respect your options so that you don't become predictable yourself)

If you notice that they are scared after blocking d12, you can just throw them, or continue to overwhelm them with string after string, or go for a high/low. It is this type of situation that gives Jax the reputation that he has. People think his pressure is amazing, but really it's more a matter of people not knowing his frame data. They sit and block, waiting for him to do overhead dash punch, and they are afraid to press anything because they aren't sure where the holes are. This lets Jax do frame trap after frame trap, which creates the illusion that he is pressuring you to death.

If your d12 hits, you are +23. Now you can go for a high/low, or another frame trap.

What you decide to do, should depend entirely on your opponent's defensive tendencies. If they are constantly mashing d1 or trying to jump away, then you can just keep doing 11, d12, 11, d12, 11, d12, and they will get counter hit over and over again. It's actually pretty funny to watch.

If they are acting scared, and just blocking forever, then keep throwing them, keep doing strings that are plus on block over and over until they decide to press something, or go for a high/low

If they are mashing armor, then do rocket cancels into block, or go for an obvious frame trap, and then block instead of pressing a button.

In the end it all becomes one big mind game. But against the vast majority of people, you will understand the options involved with this mind game much better than your opponent will, and that's what makes Jax scary.

Last edited:

FuzzyDunlop

AC/DC Bag > Ghost
@infamy23 hahah my man, you literally just changed the game for me, give me some time to consume this and respond. I'm the type of person that needs to know the WHY to understand stuff, and you truly finally made me understand the frame data and why to do certain stuff.

Man regarding the meta gaming, you're right man it's just like poker, and I can obviously see the meta game as well! I know that he knows, but I know that he knows that I know, just levelling each other with the mind games, I love it, I hope I can think that deep eventually after I get more practice.

I had a great online session tonight, some people clearly didn't know the matchup and I punished them, others I did my same ole shit just doing the full string out of panic and them blocking and completing punishing me. I'm going to add everyone soon, appreciate it infamy again man, and everyone truly this has been a great thread imo.

I of course may have more questions hahahaah

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Hi everyone,

I was hoping for some advice to keep myself from just mashing too many buttons during matches and stuff like that. Even though I played the original MK on my SNES when I was like 5 years old I still feel that this is my first true fighting game, at least being serious about it, so I'm kinda weak when it comes to fundamentals and stuff like that. The amount of stuff you learn and how you grow as a player has really been incredible, I can feel myself building on my skills; but I really need some more training/advice.

For instance, I play Jax, in the lab I can consistently do the midscreen carry combo (f21 bf2d RC f21 11 f212 db1), and I mean I can do it like 9/10 times. However nearly everytime I'm in a match when I just want to do f21 I consistently do f212 and get punished, it's really annoying, how do you guys prevent yourself from mashing too fast? I guess just practice.

Also, any advice from adjusting to online? I'm thinking I need to do just that, practice more and adjust. Another example, in the corner after a f212 the timing is extremely tight offline, but I can still do it consistently. Online it's a nightmare, probably cause I need to forget about visual cues and just go with the kombo.

Question: Do you guys ever close your eyes and just do the string to help with the timing? I did that a couple times in the lab and was doing alright but dunno if this is a viable practice technique.

Overall I just need your standard noob help I guess, it's just annoying because I feel like I've improved so much, but whenever I fire up online it's just not the same. Regarding the lag, it really hasn't been THAT bad, I just have got to adjust I guess.

I think overall I need to slow my mind down and not press too many buttons, I was watching SonicFox play with wrestler the other day and I could just tell he was so calm and patient throughout the whole time, I guess this will just come with experience, like I said this is my first game truly so I should just be proud that I can consistently do Jax's run cancel :p

Finally, would a patient bastard be willing to do some matches with me sometime? I will literally lose 22-0 (as I did online the other day), I don't get my feelings hurt at all, I've found in anything in life being around someone better than you always makes you better. For reference I live in Mississippi (merica), play on playstation4, any tips at all would be great.

Sorry for rambling, any and all advice are welcome! Thanks
There's two words that best describe the solution to your problem:

Keep going.

There is no better advice to it, other than, maybe, playing as many characters across as many games as possible, as technical as you can so that your execution across games and with your stick/pad constantly improves.
You simply can't expect your hand to be able to perform motions that it does not do regularly so to reach natural heights in playing games, you need to keep doing it;

people who are better at it than you, have done it more so far than you have.