What's new

Adderall and Fighting Games

Grape Juice City

Shaolin boyz
Oh geez lol. I'm by no means shopping around for an alternative. I was just curious as to how it may alter the way I play. I didn't have it during MKX release, but was prescribed within the last year and a half.
Good, didn't mean to come off as if I was advocating the use of this stuff lol, especially for games. Just thinking out loud.

Anybody that is taking Adderall is not getting any advantage from it. Unless an individual is taking it for the first or second time, the effects aren't very pronounced. Your tolerance builds very quickly compared to other drugs and its the entire point of the medication. Its the body expecting this type of hyperness, and the subsequent release of hormones to respond to it, that allows one to remain focused in situations that one couldn't before. So if anything, it is removing a handicap.

I imagine that alot of us geeks ended up in video games because we had social issues though, so most of us would probably be better on it. Maybe in that way it could be considered unfair, lol. I was tested two different times as an adult and both times I found it too damn tedious and left before I could finish it. Now that I think about it, that might actually be the test (see if they can answer 200 questions, if not give 'em the adderall).
This is so me lol. I was tested in the past and literally didn't complete it because bored.

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
Modafinil is the only 'drug' one should use to play fighting games.
Very true - the FGC is actually my second love after chess. In major tournaments they have been known to test for modafinil, some narcoleptics have even had problems with governing boards because of it. It’s got its own entire page on FIDE’s guidelines page. Quite fascinating. I wish there was more overlap between chess and FGC communities, to me they offer identical stimulation.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Side effects withstanding, anything that improves focus will benefit you while playing fighters. It takes lot of mental energy to play these games and focus is key.

Adderall can definitely improve focus but yeah, don't take it without good reason.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
It sounds more to me like blood pressure, anxiety, etc. Also, I know that with fighting games especially your fingers and hand/eye movements are moving extremely fast then it's over. So your adrenaline is up then lower. On the flipside, certain games I like i can get bored of if not engaged enough. A lot of this is a person to person thing. This is partly why i think mobile games have taken off so well. you can pick up and play then be done and do it anywhere.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
It really depends on the person, this is a case by case issue and as we know all science about the brain is not exact and it will never be as it's one of the most complicated and misunderstood organ in the human body.

That said, just like people who don't need to take Ritalin will feel a massive advantage because it will make them overactive, kinda like caffeine, instead of calming them down when it's used by someone who has the worst case of ADHD.

But the bottom line is that it's still a stimulant made with amphetamine salts and it does overwork your heart and make you dependent on it because of the increased dopamine and serotonin it releases. Sure it can give people an advantage if they have trouble concentrating in their day to day tasks, but it can also make people who are more sensitive to it too nervous and make them play worse, like shaky hands as you mentioned. It can either make you more focused and less distracted, or do the exact opposite.

But the real issue is that the effects vary too much from person to person because it alters the chemicals in your brain, and it does cause massive dependence on its users.

Just my 2 cents as a former psych student.

@GLoRToR may have more detailed info on this.
Not that knowledgeable on drugs I'm afraid.
That's my brother's area of expertise.

I personally think that even weed should be banned because it affects your nerves positively.

Lun

proud TERF!
Just wanted to say that a good half of people who are prescribed this kind of drugs can actually do without it. But they've been prescribed them just so that the big pharm makes more money.

Health drugs are superimportant, but I've seen way too many cases of people gulping them down while they didn't really need them.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Just wanted to say that a good half of people who are prescribed this kind of drugs can actually do without it. But they've been prescribed them just so that the big pharm makes more money.

Health drugs are superimportant, but I've seen way too many cases of people gulping them down while they didn't really need them.
Half? What are you basing this off of? The majority of people who are prescribed drugs are prescribed them because they need them. There are definitely cases where people take prescription drugs they don't need, but half?

Lun

proud TERF!
Half? What are you basing this off of? The majority of people who are prescribed drugs are prescribed them because they need them. There are definitely cases where people take prescription drugs they don't need, but half?

I'm basing it on personal experience. I talk to people swallowing random drugs like they're candies.

Granted, most of the times it's light drugs. But there's still this common misconception that every small thing can be fixed with a drug. Wherein the drug should be the last resort, or should be used only for serious matters.

Instead it's just..... the kid can't concentrate? The kid isn't lazy, it's clearly an attention deficit, slurp down a drug! The kid is full of energy? He isn't just a kid being kid, let's give him a drug to mellow him out! Can't sleep? Immediately gulp down a drug for it instead of trying to get a more regular sleep regime!

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
I'm basing it on personal experience. I talk to people swallowing random drugs like they're candies.

Granted, most of the times it's light drugs. But there's still this common misconception that every small thing can be fixed with a drug. Wherein the drug should be the last resort, or should be used only for serious matters.
I highly doubt HALF of them are prescribed. Much more likely they're just saying that.

thesacrifist

Too old for this

Instead it's just..... the kid can't concentrate? The kid isn't lazy, it's clearly an attention deficit, slurp down a drug! The kid is full of energy? He isn't just a kid being kid, let's give him a drug to mellow him out! Can't sleep? Immediately gulp down a drug for it instead of trying to get a more regular sleep regime!
Speaking as someone married to someone working in the field, that's an awfully simplistic way of looking at the way professionals diagnose for example attention deficit disorder. They do not diagnose willy nilly, and it's a lengthy process over several years with several independent assessments of the child. At least here in Norway.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Speaking as someone married to someone working in the field, that's an awfully simplistic way of looking at the way professionals diagnose for example attention deficit disorder. They do not diagnose willy nilly, and it's a lengthy process over several years with several independent assessments of the child. At least here in Norway.
I've known a number of medical and mental health professionals over the years and I completely agree with you. I've also known a number of drug addicts over the years, and in my experience, people often lie about where they get their drugs. This isn't meant as an attack whatsoever, but it might just be the people that Lun knows.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I wouldn't say HALF is correct, but in the pharmaceutical industry Doctors are pushed to sell drugs and the reality is most people who go see a doctor because they are feeling discomfort are expecting to get prescribed something that will magically fix them or just make them feel better. Doctors know this so they do it, and then also get a cut from the 'sale' so it's a win-win for them. That in itself is a big problem and always has been, but as for percentages go, I'm sure there are studies out there that showcase if this number is high or low.

From my own experience, I asked my doctor if there was something I could do when I have trouble sleeping at night, sometimes, not all the time. She didn't check my diet, she didn't ask me about exercise, she gave me an antidepressant I didn't ask for (that I didn't take). I know this is considered anecdotal evidence, but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
Not for much longer -- if they keep dumbing the genre down for the lowest common denominators... =X
If they keep turning these games into checkers, we’ll never get the LOL type attention neither. Hey I like your handle, are you also a member of the chosen people? Lots of chess overlap there, some with FGs as well it seems