What's new

Adderall and Fighting Games

Firstly, I know some thread existed some time ago about this, instead of digging and necroing, I decided to ask my own specific questions here.

Secondly, this is in no way to promote recreational use of anything.

I was prescribed Adderall in between this game and MKX for work/school related issues. One thing I noticed when playing FPS games, I tend to be far more accurate almost naturally. However, other times I notice my hands shake and I get very nervous when matches heat up.

Has anyone had any experience with fighting games on and off of adderall?

I study neuroscience/brain and behavior so it is both a personal question and work/subject related question.

E

Eldriken

I know some people speculate that it gives people an unfair advantage, but I don't think that's true at all. It doesn't make you react any faster (this isn't Wanted =P), but it will let you focus significantly better and probably be more thoughtful of the match.

Your hands shake because it's an amphetamine; it's basically legalized speed.

I know the nervousness you speak of when matches heat up, but I find that it actually makes me play a lot more efficient and I'm less prone to fucking up.

All in all, I'd say Adderall/Vyvanse is better used to learn the game at a faster rate than to play it more effectively overall.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Adderall is a straight up Performance Enhancing Drug when it comes to fighting games. In the mid-late 2000's(before the advent of sponsors) there was a lot of top FGC players using and abusing it.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Adderall is what's known as Amphetamine nothing to be confused with the drug Methamphetamine. Its mainly prescribed for ADHA and ADD and a few other attention and memory disorders. People with ADD have a hard time focusing and thier brain has a small area slowed down from the disorder. amphetamine in standard doses speeds up the brain and the slowed down area. This drug doesn't give an advantage when used as prescribed, you may be more alert but odds are if you are diagnosed correctly you where at a disadvantage to begin with. I was prescribed Ritalin, Concerts, and Adderall from the age of 6-25 and I had ADhD which I grew out of with long term treatment. People like me who had/have ADhD got the opposite effect from amphetamines than those without attention disorders. Thier brains are always over active with racing thoughts which the medicine slows down while those with ADD get the part slowed down by the disorder sped up by the medication.

You said you are getting the shakes?
Go to your doctor and get his/her opinion on that because that is often a sign of your dose being too high. In fact if you don't feel normal on it you should either change meds or adjust mg dose.

As for those saying the medication gives an advantage over others:
That can only be applicable if the person taking them is abusing the medication and or is taking it recreationally.

Last edited:

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Adderall is what's known as Amphetamine nothing to be confused with the drug Methamphetamine. Its mainly prescribed for ADHA and ADD and a few other attention and memory disorders. People with ADD have a hard time focusing and thier brain has a small area slowed down from the disorder. amphetamine in standard doses speeds up the brain and the slowed down area. This drug doesn't give an advantage when used as prescribed, you may be more alert but odds are if you are diagnosed correctly you where at a disadvantage to begin with. I was prescribed Ritalin, Concerts, and Adderall from the age of 6-25 and I had ADhD which I grew out of with long term treatment. People like me who had/have ADhD got the opposite effect from amphetamines than those without attention disorders. Thier brains are always over active with racing thoughts which the medicine slows down while those with ADD get the part slowed down by the disorder sped up by the medication.

Go to your doctor and get his/her opinion on that because that is often a sign of your dose being too high. In fact if you don't feel normal on it you should either change meds or adjust mg dose.

As for those saying the medication gives an advantage over others:
That can only be applicable if the person taking them is abusing the medication and doesn't or is taking it recreationally.
Oh a drug. Ok then, drugs are for pussies

Adderall is banned in most serious esports for being performance-enhancing.
Really? Wow! I will reserve my opinion on that until the game actually comes out, but geez. Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell :(

My dose feels ok for the intended purposes. The shaking comes mainly from nerves. It isn't like the caffeine shake I get too lol.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Seems like it would make grinding tech and combos easier, but that’s about it.

When I was in college, I used to pop an Adderall and smoke a bowl and then just practice guitar for 6 hours (or organize every file on my computer...). I could see that being an entertaining practice for fighting games.

666 I HazeOner

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Adderall is a straight up Performance Enhancing Drug when it comes to fighting games. In the mid-late 2000's(before the advent of sponsors) there was a lot of top FGC players using and abusing it.
It still gets used, as an ex-user I can spot them from a mile away. It is also really easy to circumvent the rules on this drug, just get a doctors prescription and you are good to go.

Btw, idgaf anyway...

Used to take Adderrall daily as prescribed by a doctor for attention deficit disorder (non-hyperactivity type). It was absolutely a performance enhancing drug and definitely made my reactions faster. And it's not like ADD was making my reactions slower, so basically a performance enhancing side effect.

But holy shit the side effects. Shakes, paranoia, absolute loss of appetite (like I couldn't eat when it's effects where active. Mouth would stay dry and food would taste like sand). The focus was a double edged sword too. You could take it prior to studying, get distracted and open up Minesweeper, then next thing you know it's 6 hours later and you're still playing minesweeper. And if I happened to not take it any given day, I'd feel awfully tired and sluggish to the point of being non-functional.

I eventually asked my doctor to lower the dose every time and started getting into exercise and a targeted diet as an alternate way to deal with ADD, which works well enough me. Was off the shit by senior year in college.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
It really depends on the person, this is a case by case issue and as we know all science about the brain is not exact and it will never be as it's one of the most complicated and misunderstood organ in the human body.

That said, just like people who don't need to take Ritalin will feel a massive advantage because it will make them overactive, kinda like caffeine, instead of calming them down when it's used by someone who has the worst case of ADHD.

But the bottom line is that it's still a stimulant made with amphetamine salts and it does overwork your heart and make you dependent on it because of the increased dopamine and serotonin it releases. Sure it can give people an advantage if they have trouble concentrating in their day to day tasks, but it can also make people who are more sensitive to it too nervous and make them play worse, like shaky hands as you mentioned. It can either make you more focused and less distracted, or do the exact opposite.

But the real issue is that the effects vary too much from person to person because it alters the chemicals in your brain, and it does cause massive dependence on its users.

Just my 2 cents as a former psych student.

@GLoRToR may have more detailed info on this.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Used to take Adderrall daily as prescribed by a doctor for attention deficit disorder (non-hyperactivity type). It was absolutely a performance enhancing drug and definitely made my reactions faster. And it's not like ADD was making my reactions slower, so basically a performance enhancing side effect.
Yeah it works differently on ADD than it does on ADHD. It made me very tired at higher doses. It's been around 6 years since I've taken it. My brother who was ADD would get tons of energy but I got the opposite effect.

To everyone else I'm sure it has benefits and disadvantages.
But interesting to hear more anecdotal evidence.

Remember when Ritalin got pulled off the market because if it's health risks. I think Concerta and Adderall are still in circuit today. Adderall is very strong compared to Concerts.

E

Eldriken

Adderall, Concerta and Vyvanse are all different from one another, but they all achieve the same thing in most cases with varying side effects.

Also, the difference between ADD and ADHD is the hyperactivity part. One is an inability to focus and the other is the same thing but with being really fucking hyper at the same time. That's why they both get prescribed the same thing out of the 3.

It's just everyone is affected differently for obvious reasons.

It being "performance enhancing" is probably the dumbest agenda I've ever seen get pushed for the medication, especially if it's coming from someone who hasn't even used it.

Grape Juice City

Shaolin boyz
Depends on the person and circumstance. Playing video games are already stimulating, and I assume the average person in a high stakes setting like a competitive set experiences increased anxiety, so I'm not sure if the increased epinephrine levels from stimulants are as beneficial here as they might be detrimental. "Fight or flight" is good for snap judgements like seeing a player come around a corner and squeezing a trigger (FPS) or blocking high/low in a string, but anything that requires more complex decision making would probably suffer.

Probably not worth it unless you experience an anxiolytic effect when taking amphetamines. Something like Desoxyn might be better suited than Adderall in this regard, but good luck getting your hands on that stuff.

It's so odd. I work in healthcare and I have to deal with lots of crazy situations daily where I am super calm and able to take action. With video games though, I get really stressed out when say, a match is really close, or when I am sniping vs someone who is near my level of skill.

Probably not worth it unless you experience an anxiolytic effect when taking amphetamines. Something like Desoxyn might be better suited than Adderall in this regard, but good luck getting your hands on that stuff.
Oh geez lol. I'm by no means shopping around for an alternative. I was just curious as to how it may alter the way I play. I didn't have it during MKX release, but was prescribed within the last year and a half.

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
Anybody that is taking Adderall is not getting any advantage from it. Unless an individual is taking it for the first or second time, the effects aren't very pronounced. Your tolerance builds very quickly compared to other drugs and its the entire point of the medication. Its the body expecting this type of hyperness, and the subsequent release of hormones to respond to it, that allows one to remain focused in situations that one couldn't before. So if anything, it is removing a handicap.

I imagine that alot of us geeks ended up in video games because we had social issues though, so most of us would probably be better on it. Maybe in that way it could be considered unfair, lol. I was tested two different times as an adult and both times I found it too damn tedious and left before I could finish it. Now that I think about it, that might actually be the test (see if they can answer 200 questions, if not give 'em the adderall).