What's new

Adapting to Street Fighter.....

Arzumis

Noob
This kinda makes me want a ps4 for sfv but i got so many games for the xbox one that i cant see myself selling it.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
I'll be moving or at least playing SFV when it comes out. I have IV now and will get into it more until Feb just to get used to it.

The biggest reason to me is fundamentals. When guys say things like controlling space, I can see it more in SF. Seems like I understand it better.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Hey all,

I have a quick question. I'm a long term MK fan, and been getting caught up in the SF5 hype lately.

I played ST4 but this was before I had a proper understanding of fighting games, so playing that was a big struggle.

I've got the itch to try ST5 when it launches, along with still playing MK, however my question is what are the big differences in gameplay between the series........

I've watched the Capcom Cup to get a feeling for high level gameplay, and it def looks dif to your standard MK match, for one it seems far more defensive.

So what does a player adapting from MK need to know and adapt too??

Thanks
That's a hard question to answer, because every fighting game series plays differently from others. Well, one thing is for certain. There is no block button. One must hold back to block. SF4 is very defensive, while SF5 is still an enigma. It's still in development phases and will take time for the game to be fleshed out after release in order to realize how the overall flow of the game will be. I'd say wait for SF5, or if you're curious as to how another fighting games plays out you can always purchase Super Turbo HD on the PSN store. It actually comes with information when a certain option is selected that explains how the basics of the game will play. This ranges from footsies to crossovers. It's quite helpful and I don't think SSF2T HD costs much these days on PSN.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
One more side note... I've linked this here before, but its worth linking again.

Daigo vs Alex Valle at SCR 2010

This is one of the best examples of street fighter footsies around, and one of my favorite sets from the entire lifespan of sf4. Watch how carefully they each fight for space, neutral jumping so that they dont lose ground. Watch how they carefully attempt to move in and out of their perfect range for their crouch MK, and how they attempt to whiff punish each other with a sweep when they whiff a normal.

Anyways, this is an incredible example of intense street fighter styled footsies, and what makes the game such an awesome and intricate game of spacing. If this looks like it's up your alley, street fighter might be for you!
This video and the Daigo parry will never get old

Everyone's points pretty much hit the nail on the head. If I had to add, I feel understanding the concept of walking forward is also essential as well. One of my favorite montages of Daigo really showing this concept:

Also the USF4 Primer series should be of good help. Some of the concepts may change in SFV however. Take a look at this vid about trip guarding:

Also another vid on whiff punishing and feints:

d3v

SRK
Aside from learning to use back to block, anyone moving into SFV needs to focus more on pure footsies. V is moving back towards what we would call "dark ages" Street Fighter - games like A2, CvS2, and 3rd Strike. There's going to be a much higher emphasis on pokes and footsies for footsies sake. Setting up footsies just to be rewarded with more footsies Short combos from single hit confirms. The changes to the engine in V remove alot of the vortex/set-play archetypes created in SFIV.

Aside from learning to use back to block, anyone moving into SFV needs to focus more on pure footsies. V is moving back towards what we would call "dark ages" Street Fighter - games like A2, CvS2, and 3rd Strike. There's going to be a much higher emphasis on pokes and footsies for footsies sake. Setting up footsies just to be rewarded with more footsies Short combos from single hit confirms. The changes to the engine in V remove alot of the vortex/set-play archetypes created in SFIV.
That's very much a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

In SFIV I was fairly decent at poking and spacing but very bad at long combos; I was too used to Tekken's juggling system. It got to the point where I almost completely forwent combos and just focussed on getting singular hits in... and amazingly enough, it actually kind of worked.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
This kinda makes me want a ps4 for sfv but i got so many games for the xbox one that i cant see myself selling it.
Just buy a used one, get another TV, and make a game room like the rest of us (never gonna) grow-ups.

The biggest thing you're going to have to get used this that SF characters are generally more well rounded. Most characters have a defensive answer for every offensive option your character has, this leads to a heavier reliance on reactionary play. If you have a life lead it's almost always in your best interest to sit back and let the opponent kill themselves trying to get in.

I recommend you just work on defense and anti airs. They're probably the most important things for any character(excluding a few hyper aggressive examples). Just play matches entirely in the neutral and get a feel for it. Then you can work on building on top of a strong foundation with mixups/safe jumps/ character specific tech.

Reactions: GAV

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Everyone's points pretty much hit the nail on the head. If I had to add, I feel understanding the concept of walking forward is also essential as well. One of my favorite montages of Daigo really showing this concept:

Also the USF4 Primer series should be of good help. Some of the concepts may change in SFV however. Take a look at this vid about trip guarding:

Also another vid on whiff punishing and feints:

No fear