What's new

Adapting to Street Fighter.....

Hey all,

I have a quick question. I'm a long term MK fan, and been getting caught up in the SF5 hype lately.

I played ST4 but this was before I had a proper understanding of fighting games, so playing that was a big struggle.

I've got the itch to try ST5 when it launches, along with still playing MK, however my question is what are the big differences in gameplay between the series........

I've watched the Capcom Cup to get a feeling for high level gameplay, and it def looks dif to your standard MK match, for one it seems far more defensive.

So what does a player adapting from MK need to know and adapt too??

Thanks

Last edited:

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Where MK uses more of a "dial a combo" system, Street Fighter does not. This basically means that you have to be much more precise with the timing of your button presses.

However, SF V seems to be considerably more lenient on that when compared to previous Street Fighter games.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
However, SF V seems to be considerably more lenient on that when compared to previous Street Fighter games.
Yeah, SFV is simplifying basic execution requirements. Its an overall good thing for enabling more players to get into the game.

@MEJBelloz you really just need to play to understand. SF follows a more traditional setup (back to block, 6 button attack scheme) whereas MK has always been its own beast (block button and thus no crossups, 4 button attack scheme).

Modern MK is full of fast, far-advancing strings that close distance rapidly and start offense. MK also has a lot of 50/50s that lead into combos. In SF, you always default to blocking low on the ground. Overhead attacks are generally only single-hit pokes, and not combo starters. You play a much more honest footsies game, fighting for every inch and slowly pushing your opponent into the corner. You dont have these rapidly advancing strings that close insane distance like in MK.

On a fundamental level, those are probably the biggest base differences between the modern franchises.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Its a game of turns, there is a lot of difference in comparision to MK, i got to play SF4 competitive from the past 2 to 3 years, and got really good at some point before stopping, here is what i can tell you about what to expect.

1. Execution
You have to know the inputs pretty well, in MK they're shortened to cather up the casual audience, but in street fighter to perform a HCF, HCB DP, QCF, HCF is a basic requirement

2. Game of taking turns
The offensive heavy is not as craziest as in MK in general, the overheads are not that fast, and rarely exists a character that can get the same outcome by either you blocking low or high.

3. Projectiles trade
I know this is an addition to MK recently, but in SF has been there since the beginning

4. Links
although there were 1 or 2f links in SF4, i got words that there is no 1f links in SF5 just yet

5. Pokes are plus
Different from MK where D1 is -5 at least on block, in SF d1s can be +3 on block, it can happen with a few normals be plus on block rather than minus

6. Target combo, limited juggle
in SF4 the jugglle limit was 3 air hits, though there were some execptions, but that was pretty much it, however, where it lacks on air hits to get damage, it compensates on ground hits, since you can extend your combos using links.

7- Back to Block
There is no block button in SF, you have to hold back to block standing, and hold down and back to block crouching, however, there are some jump attacks that can go over your characters axis and make your character walk forward, which will hit if you don't know where they will come from, these are called crossups and are very evident in back to block games.

overall is a very respectfull game, different, but just as fun as any fighting game in my personal opinion.

BlackViper415

TYM's Head Herpetologist
You'll have to get used to some new input motions. Street Fighter has some weird and often impractical input motions that can be really obnoxious when you start. Pick up a copy of vanilla SF4 and just practice some of the characters. I say vanilla SF4 because it's like 5 bucks and with SFV coming out soon there's no point in buying ultra.

Skkra

One more side note... I've linked this here before, but its worth linking again.

Daigo vs Alex Valle at SCR 2010

This is one of the best examples of street fighter footsies around, and one of my favorite sets from the entire lifespan of sf4. Watch how carefully they each fight for space, neutral jumping so that they dont lose ground. Watch how they carefully attempt to move in and out of their perfect range for their crouch MK, and how they attempt to whiff punish each other with a sweep when they whiff a normal.

Anyways, this is an incredible example of intense street fighter styled footsies, and what makes the game such an awesome and intricate game of spacing. If this looks like it's up your alley, street fighter might be for you!

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
The timing of things in SF is the biggest adjustment in terms of mechanical ski changes. You don't dial-in strings and combos and the way you cancel moves in to specials is a different sort of timing as well, its different but nothing the lab won't fix.

Also, SF is a faster game frame-wise. In MK a 6 frame move is amazing. In SF, 6fs is slow.. Light attacks are frequently 3fs and many command grabs are 2. This changes a lot in terms of timing again.

SF has a large focus on anti-airs as well and being able to AA consistently and correctly is a very important part of the gameplay. AAing on MKX is certainly a thing, buts nowhere near the hinge-pin in MKX that it is in SF.

Do you play on PC? I'd be happy to run some sets and answer any questions you have.

The timing of things in SF is the biggest adjustment in terms of mechanical ski changes. You don't dial-in strings and combos and the way you cancel moves in to specials is a different sort of timing as well, its different but nothing the lab won't fix.

Also, SF is a faster game frame-wise. In MK a 6 frame move is amazing. In SF, 6fs is slow.. Light attacks are frequently 3fs and many command grabs are 2. This changes a lot in terms of timing again.

SF has a large focus on anti-airs as well and being able to AA consistently and correctly is a very important part of the gameplay. AAing on MKX is certainly a thing, buts nowhere near the hinge-pin in MKX that it is in SF.

Do you play on PC? I'd be happy to run some sets and answer any questions you have.
Unfortunately not on PC. PS4...... Tho Xbox for MK.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Its going to be an up hill battle. I have been playing MK my whole life, and I played a little bit of SF2 as a kid but not a lot and sometime in 2013 (or 14) I picked up a used copy of SSF4AE just to try it out and it is a lot different. I think the biggest thing a primary MK player going in to SF will have issues with is the combo system. In MK we are used to just kind of inputting the combos, and they come out, while in SF the timing is really strict and can be incredibly frustrating lol so in order to do them you really have to try different things until you get the timing down.

Its just one of those things that will take some getting used to, especially if you are used to MK and how they generally play lol

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Its going to be an up hill battle. I have been playing MK my whole life, and I played a little bit of SF2 as a kid but not a lot and sometime in 2013 (or 14) I picked up a used copy of SSF4AE just to try it out and it is a lot different. I think the biggest thing a primary MK player going in to SF will have issues with is the combo system. In MK we are used to just kind of inputting the combos, and they come out, while in SF the timing is really strict and can be incredibly frustrating lol so in order to do them you really have to try different things until you get the timing down.

Its just one of those things that will take some getting used to, especially if you are used to MK and how they generally play lol
It's not overly strict tbh,if I can get used to it with a mangled right hand anyone can,although I will admit going back to sf4/ultra from mk9 and injustice did prove slightly troublesome at first,it was well worth the effort.ive had so much fun over the past year with usf4.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
I play Skullgirls, KI and a bit of 3rd strike (though I still can't combo). Between those games how hard of a transition to SFV specifically would it be?
I was hoping to do what I did with MKX and buy the game Day 1 and teach myself how to play/get decent

Skkra

I play Skullgirls, KI and a bit of 3rd strike (though I still can't combo). Between those games how hard of a transition to SFV specifically would it be?
I was hoping to do what I did with MKX and buy the game Day 1 and teach myself how to play/get decent
You should be fine playing sfv.

EntropicByDesign

SFV will be cake to transfer to. Not to say the skill ceiling will be low, but the abilities required to function will be EXTREMELY easy to pick up. I am very 'bleh' when it comes to execution, and in SFV beta I have been able to jump on a character, YouTube/Google that characters optimal combo(s) and be 10/10ing every one of them in 30 minutes of practice. And most of that 30 minutes wasn't spent on timing/complicated inputs, but just committing each combo to memory enough that hands moved on their own once I started it.

SFV has a seriously low barrier of entry. Which I personally think is awesome, provided other game systems exist to add depth, and by all accounts, they will.

Man.. I am so excited to try out Fang.

Edit: I forgot the correct use of there, their and they're =/

Last edited:

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
SFV will be cake to transfer to. Not to say the skill ceiling will be low, but the abilities required to function will be EXTREMELY easy to pick up. I am very 'bleh' when it comes to execution, and in SFV beta I have been able to jump on a character, YouTube/Google that characters optimal combo(s) and be 10/10ing every one of them in 30 minutes of practice. And most of that 30 minutes wasn't spent on timing/complicated inputs, but just committing each combo to memory enough that hands moved on there own once I started it.

SFV has a seriously low barrier of entry. Which I personally think is awesome, provided other game systems exist to add depth, and by all accounts, they will.

Man.. I am so excited to try out Fang.
I do love low skill floors but high skill ceilings. Makes it easier to jump in and then nothing but improvement from there

Blade4693

VIVIVI
It's not overly strict tbh,if I can get used to it with a mangled right hand anyone can,although I will admit going back to sf4/ultra from mk9 and injustice did prove slightly troublesome at first,it was well worth the effort.ive had so much fun over the past year with usf4.
Yeah it can be done, I was just saying for somebody who hasn't touched a SF game since they were like 5, transitioning to SF from playing primarily MK games was pretty challenging at first Its like anything else though, just takes some practice.

EntropicByDesign

Also, I have found, if you want general execution practice.. Play KOFXIII. My god.

s.C, f+B xx qcf+AC, qcf+C (1 or 2 hits), dp+A, [DC], qcf+K xx qcf+C (1 or 2 hits), qcf+C (2 hits), [DC], dp+A, dp+A, j.C

That is a combo from KOFXIII. Not some crazy swaggtastic thing from a combo video, but a legit, functional, use-in-a-tourney combo. Its also not dial-a-combo, so its not just a matter of executing down the list. Everything has different timings and juggle states, and different moves have to be done early or late in a juggle, with multiple 1-2-3 frame links (to be fair, a 3 frame link is a lot of time).

I go from a lab session in KOF to SF or MKX and I'm like.. Wtf. This is it? This is all I have to worry about?

(I am not saying KOF is superior in any way, i dont mean this as a pissing match, just that, execution wise, KOF is some kind of horrible mutant monster thing that destroys err'thing in its path and if you want to up your execution game in general, as a training platform, its amazing. Its also a BEAUTIFUL game with a CRAZY deep set of systems. If the game wasnt a ghost town outside a very very small, but fanatical community, I would probably just play KOF, forever)