What's new

About human Smoke and Cyber Sub-Zero

Of these two changed characters, who should return?

• Cyber Sub-Zero

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Smoke

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • Both

Votes: 4 5.7%

• Total voters

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
The thing that makes no sense

They turned him into a cyborg....... but why did his style change entirely? Like.... the moment he gained back his mind.... why doesn't he fight the way he knows?

Makes no sense. I know alot of things don't make sense....... but if CSZ would of simply been SZ's strings with the dive kick and bombs and not a clone it would of made more sense to me i guess.

I don't expect him back.

I do expect Human Smoke to be a mentor to whomever the "new" SZ is tho. Smoke is a neat character.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Cyber-Sub already has a premise to be in since Shao Kahn is dead

NRS plz

Smoke can remain the same.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
If they turned a new subzero into a robot, people would be more positive. However, transforming one of the most developed characters over the years (Kuai Liang) into a robot is dumb.
What he did in the past will not be forgotten, but evolution of character is natural and necessary. Do you want them to just repeat the exact same story because you can't be a little open minded to the concept of a reboot with repercussions?

I feel we should see where he goes from here, a Cyborg who's broken the control of the LK/Tekunin, and judge accordingly.

So far he took down Goro, Kintaro, Kano, and went toe-to-toe with Noob and Quan, he didn't lose any potency and became arguably stronger.

And going along with that, we don't know anything about this new human Sub, he could turn out to be an even better character than Bi-Han or Kuai Lang ever were as humans. Smoke could become something even greater as well, for all we know he could become a LK Grand Master.

Let time tell, not immediate emotions over a one game introduction.

The thing that makes no sense

They turned him into a cyborg....... but why did his style change entirely? Like.... the moment he gained back his mind.... why doesn't he fight the way he knows?

Makes no sense. I know alot of things don't make sense....... but if CSZ would of simply been SZ's strings with the dive kick and bombs and not a clone it would of made more sense to me i guess.

I don't expect him back.

I do expect Human Smoke to be a mentor to whomever the "new" SZ is tho. Smoke is a neat character.
1. That's a gameplay thing, it would be dumb to just have a clone, and they didn't want to take away from the change by making it just an alternate costume. If he didn't play differently people would complain a whole lot more.

2. Most of his moves and normal attacks take advantage of his robotics, hence all of the high jumping, faster movement, and heavier hits, teleportation, bombs, bigger ice constructs(Look at SZ's sword compared to CSZ's).

Put it this way, if you were a martial artist and you got cybernetic upgrades, would you stick to the exact same normal martial arts, or would you change up your style to take advantage of your new abilities.

Last edited:

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
Storywise, I actually don't want either one to return simply because they died in MK9. I mean, what is the use of killing off characters if it has no consequences and they just come back to life? Let the dead characters sit this one out. Some of my favorites died too but death should mean something.

I dont mind if both were DLC for gameplay purpose only, but again, keep em out of the story. And please, totally different character designs, especially CSZ. He looked like an overgrown cyber-puppy with bluetooth connections all over his body

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Storywise, I actually don't want either one to return simply because they died in MK9. I mean, what is the use of killing off characters if it has no consequences and they just come back to life? Let the dead characters sit this one out. Some of my favorites died too but death should mean something.
That's reasonable.

And please, totally different character designs, especially CSZ. He looked like an overgrown cyber-puppy with bluetooth connections all over his body
Eh, I thought he looked fine.

Last edited:

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
Since MKX is a continuation of MK9, it would be incredibly sloppy writing if NRS changed Sub-Zero back to human and Smoke back to Robot.

Therefore, I totally expect it.:DOGE

What he did in the past will not be forgotten, but evolution of character is natural and necessary. Do you want them to just repeat the exact same story because you can't be a little open minded to the concept of a reboot with repercussions?

I feel we should see where he goes from here, a Cyborg who's broken the control of the LK/Tekunin, and judge accordingly.

So far he took down Goro, Kintaro, Kano, and went toe-to-toe with Noob and Quan, he didn't lose any potency and became arguably stronger.

And going along with that, we don't know anything about this new human Sub, he could turn out to be an even better character than Bi-Han or Kuai Lang ever were as humans. Smoke could become something even greater as well, for all we know he could become a LK Grand Master.
Kuai Liang's story was never repetitive, so the "exact" word you used, along with calling me close minded doesn't work.

Also:
1) I bet my money that this "new" Sub-zero is one of the well known brothers. The soulnado purification theory for Bi-Han seems very possible, and small hints like the "Grand master" variation and dialogues could lead to Kuai- Liang as well.

2) It's obvious you like CSZ but you have to understand this character was created as a "gimmick". A move set which has Cyrax elements (good old palette swap days), his "can't be more random" ending, and of course his " killed by uppercut" death are solid proof that he was created for fun, and to address a very obvious outcome (for the ones who are not that deep into the MK story) because of Raiden's actions.

We are going to see some of the dead heroes playable in MKX, even as DLC. However CSZ won't be one of them. The only way to see him again is in a future "Trilogy / Armageddon" type of roster. (Assuming they will try such things again of course)

Last edited:

WannabePlayer

Apprentice
NRS appears to be putting a huge emphasis on the story and keeping it canon. Since Smoke died in MK9, I doubt he'll initially be the game. However, if they're paying attention to the community, they'll see that there's a huge demand for Smoke to return in MKX, so hopefully he'll be DLC at the very least.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
While I'm a fan of Human Smoke, I voted "neither". I'd personally rather see Reptile and new characters, I would like it if a demonic-looking Smoke was DLC though.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
cyber sub bombs ain't work for shit... but if they did would ppl still hate him? hell he didn't have a net. so why make his bombs shitty.