What's new

About human Smoke and Cyber Sub-Zero

Of these two changed characters, who should return?

• Cyber Sub-Zero

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Smoke

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • Both

Votes: 4 5.7%

• Total voters

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Aside from the murder frenzy, this is arguably the biggest change to the lore made in MK9, and NRS received a lot of flack and a lot of praise for it. It was a ballsy choice, but I think it was actually a really cool step to make with both characters.

What I think though, is that NRS needs to put one or the other(or even both) into MKX to validate this change even more.

It's like Capcom having Ryu die and Ken succumbing to to satsui no hado, then in the next game Ryu is back and Ken is normal.

I feel like if they just throw the characters away for a game or two or just let them go back to neutral(like leaving CSZ dead and using the third Sub, or having the LK build a fully robotic Smoke because they can't turn him) would take away a lot of the weight of the change, and make it a lot more flaccid.

Even Zombie Liu Kang had two games.

What are your thoughts, and which would you like to see make it into MKX

P.S. I really want NRS to keep on this trend of Sub-Zero's taking the mantle then becoming something arguably even more bad ass. Ice assassin to evil shadow wraith, ice assassin to more powerful Grand Master of clan, ice assassin to more powerful cyborg ninja. Makes me wonder what ridiculous thing this Sub-Zero will turn into.

Last edited:

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Cyber Sub.

Fun idea, but he needs to be a more unique character then just a off brand Cyrax.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Let's all pretend CSZ never existed. It's much better that way.
All in for human Smoke though, he was first introduced as a ninja anyway
Why?

Don't be one of those people who are like "NOSTALGIA! THINGS ARE DIFFERENT! I DON'T LIKE CHANGE!".

Do you actually have a good reason for disliking this change? I could see if there were no more human Sub, but we have a new one, you didn't actually lose anything in this transformation.

It's not like they just shoe-horned him in or he was abruptly changed, they handled his story very well up until Sindel(but you could say the same for everyone but Nightwolf at that point).

WHO IS VOTING NEITHER
The people who only want 6 characters who are relatively unchanged because they don't like the idea of drastic character evolution or new and unexpected things.

Cyber Sub.

Fun idea, but he needs to be a more unique character then just a off brand Cyrax.

To be fair:

1. He only shared two moves with Cyrax, teleport and bomb(and the bombs didn't even work the same).
2. He had more special moves.
3. He had an entirely different set of normals.
4. He played completely differently.
5. He was more rush-down and space control than trapping and set-ups.

He was extremely different than both Cyrax and human Sub-Zero.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I have honestly never enjoyed robot/cyber characters in fighting games. I much prefer flesh and blood characters. Having ONE cyber/robot is ok, but three or more is ridiculous to me. Cyber-Reptile? Are you fucking kidding me?!

GetSpookd

#1 Enemy : Rust.
I have honestly never enjoyed robot/cyber characters in fighting games. I much prefer flesh and blood characters. Having ONE cyber/robot is ok, but three or more is ridiculous to me. Cyber-Reptile? Are you fucking kidding me?!
Hello mate !
Why?

Don't be one of those people who are like "NOSTALGIA! THINGS ARE DIFFERENT! I DON'T LIKE CHANGE!".

Do you actually have a good reason for disliking this change? I could see if there were no more human Sub, but we have a new one, you didn't actually lose anything in this transformation.
I'm with @EarlyReflections on this one.

It's not about nostalgia googles, character evolution is fine, I didn't liked when they took his spear and all (even tho it makes sense that they didnt wanted make him like a Scorpion clone), but you gotta stick to the lore and its root story first. Sure Smoke was introduced in human form the beginning, but alongside his char, his robo ver is vastly known aswell. Changing/denying that is a little bit too much for my taste as for many others people it seems.

@Pterodactyl

The reasons I don't like CSZ are not so Nostalgia related..

1.) A robot with an ice sword doesn't look cool to me
2.) Sub-zero is MK's no.2 Man. He carries too much of mk's legend and he is extremely Iconic… Changing such a significant character into something else, creates backlash. You remember what happened in MK9. If they turned a new subzero into a robot, people would be more positive. However, transforming one of the most developed characters over the years (Kuai Liang) into a robot is dumb.

About Smoke, he was cool in both incarnations. There is a nostalgia factor there, wanting him to be human, but as a robot rocked hard as well in the past.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Stop requesting old characters to be back.
I am already maining Subby and Raiden as a secondary. I want to play some of the new characters.

If Smoke or Rain are back then I'm forced to pick them up too.

It's gonna be difficult.

NRS pls :(

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I dont want a overkill of ninjas in this game. Sub and Scorps is enough imo. I totally expect a couple of robot characters to make it in and im hoping for robo Smoke.

Flagg

Noob
I loved CSZ, he was badass in the story mode, took on Kintaro, Goro and Kano at the same time and beat them, then went to confront Quan Chi.

As for gameplay...i feel if his teleport actually got around all the projectiles (he could get around some like reptile balls and shangs skulls), he'd have been so much better, but he couldnt evade a Kitana fan, even at full screen on reaction.

The fact is, SZ was turned in CSZ however....we have SZ in the story somehow.

I would like to see some mega LK robot return as a amalgamation of CSZ, Cyrax and Sektor....maybe they made a new robot and he absorbed these three.

Robo Smoke was just a OP version of Sektor/Scorpion (lame).

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I loved CSZ, he was badass in the story mode, took on Kintaro, Goro and Kano at the same time and beat them, then went to confront Quan Chi.

As for gameplay...i feel if his teleport actually got around all the projectiles (he could get around some like reptile balls and shangs skulls), he'd have been so much better, but he couldnt evade a Kitana fan, even at full screen on reaction.

The fact is, SZ was turned in CSZ however....we have SZ in the story somehow.

I would like to see some mega LK robot return as a amalgamation of CSZ, Cyrax and Sektor....maybe they made a new robot and he absorbed these three.

Robo Smoke was just a OP version of Sektor/Scorpion (lame).
I highly doubt robo Smoke would would have the same movesets as he did in UMK3. Human Smoke was a lot different in MK9 than his UMK3 version.

Flagg

Noob
I highly doubt robo Smoke would would have the same movesets as he did in UMK3. Human Smoke was a lot different in MK9 than his UMK3 version.
This is true, after all human smoke in UMK3 was just Scorpion running around at a thousand miles an hour. Novel back then, but fighting games have changed since then and they gave the likes of Smoke and Noob Saibot real identities with a unique move set.