What's new

abc's Invisibility Guide

Seeing as there is a HUGE lack of tactics online using invisibility, I have taken it upon myself to share some of mine. As a Reptile player and Robot Smoke Player I've developed many tactics to get the most of out this special move. Invisibility is a completely different move from something like Kabal's Spin or Unsub's Ice Clone. Invisibility Wins Games. Period. I've said this so many times. I'll break this down into 2 sections, One for Reptile and one For Robo Smoke. Keep in mind that some of the tactics can be used in both Characters. Let's get started Shall we?

How?

Reptile: Up, Down, HK

Robo Smoke: Up, Up, Run

Characters

Reptile

Reptile has many many moves that can be used be used to start an infinite. With invisibility none of these moves will ever be seen by the opponent and giving you THAT much more of an advantage. We'll start with the Pop up. If you activate Invis obviously the opponent won't see the pop up coming. They can't see you at all, they can't see anything coming. You want to nail them when they aren't blocking as most people facing an invisible opponent tend to do. For 5 Seconds. After they gather the courage to start jumping, throwing run jabs into the air, ect, this is when you want to strike. You need to keep in mind one CRUCIAL thing. Imprint it in your brain, it may seem obvious, but you need to focus on this and remember it well. You know where you are, and they do not know where you are. In a fighting game this is HUGE. Not only do they not see hits coming, but the psychological effect is enormous. USE THIS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE. This is the KEY to proper invis use. The opponent may try to throw out some random punches, counter it. Run in and pop up, Sweep, Start to run jab, ect. Keep them guessing, and remember that your doing damage the whole time. Forceballs are a little different. Letting go of a Forceball momentarily reveals your position. This is true, but at the same time do not be scared to let them go. Their mind is quick to forget. Don't be sloppy about it either however. If your going to throw forceballs either throw a Slow one right in front of their face or stand back and Forceball spam to BAIT them towards you. Spam it a little slower than a normal FB Spam would come out. Remember the key is to cause damage to win. When using Reptile while invisible go Crazy to avoid being hit. Not being hit is crucial because it knocks you out of the invisibility. Watch out for projectiles more than anything. 9 times out of 10, the opponent will throw out a projectile or 2 as an easy way to knock you out of your invis. Expecting this is very important. It only takes a few seconds for them to realize this to always expect it. 90% of the time, it'll happen. Duck, Jump over and counter, anything. Dodging their projectiles is another psychological blow. At this point they'll realize they aren't dealing with a random invisibility user. They expected to hit you with that projectile. Like I said, dodging it is Crucial. Getting in their heads and messing them up is one of the most important parts of invis. Don't forget it.

Robo Smoke

Robo Smoke has alot of the same tactics. His spear is the only thing different, and it can be very useful to activate the invis(Spear, Invis, Combo, Fight). The teleport is useless unless your playing a deaf player or you score an aahp first. Robo Smoke can also mess around with the other player alot by jumping into and out of Invis, something Reptile can't do. Against Noobs, an invisible robo smoke is pretty much a win. Against better players though, They know how to counter an invisible Robo Smoke so Be careful. His 3 hit Knee Start up can be very useful for psychological effect and getting them to stop turtling. Take advantage of the decent Robot Run Jabs and also abuse the Standing HK. One of Robo Smoke's biggest invisibility advantages over Reptile is the use of his Spear. It's very fast and very literally, comes out of no where when your invisible. The Spear is also very useful for initiating the Invisibility as well if you can't get a moments peace from a rush down. A little trick to try, Catch them with a Spear, go invisible, and Don't do the 5 hit combo after that. They'll be left wondering what happened and giving you the perfect opportunity to strike with something stronger.

General Tips

Vs Offensive Characters

I usually find there are 4 phases to an offensive character's attacks to knock you out of Invis. These can go for awhile if you choose to just sit and dodge and not attack(which is just fine and a great psychological move).

First phase is the Panic phase. They realize they can't see you, remember that they only need to hit you once to knock you out of it, and the rush down.

If that's Successful then you have the Next Phase.

Second Phase is the crazy projectile throwing time. Dodge it, counter it, DO NOT get hit. You have a major advantage in the next phase.

Phase 3 is the Crazy random move throwing phase. They throw out random moves, random everything to try and hit you once. This is also the best phase to do the most damage. Here most of the time the player forgets about trying to even win the game and inflict damage. They Just want to hit you once and knock you out of invis. You basically have a few seconds of them sleeping. Make the most of it and get ready to Punish moves such as teleports, Baton Dashes, Spins, ect.

Last phase hardly ever happens but they pretty much go between Phase 3 and 4. Phase 4 is total Shutdown. Turtle City. They Crouch, Block, and don't move in a feeble attempt to get you next to them to hit them. In their heads they see this as an advantage because this forces you to get right next to them of you want to cause damage. Don't fall for it. Stand back and FB Spam spam spam. More of this in the Vs Defensive characters section.

Vs Defensive Characters

Some Advice for fighting against a defensive player. Though a rare breed, some players will try to bait you to a position they can take advantage of because they will know where you are(right in front of them attacking them). Don't fall for it. If you can anticipate it then you know how to stop it. It's very simple. Be ready for it. You know they will try to stand up and attack you, don't fall for it so easily. Abuse both Reptile and Robo Smoke's 3 hit knee starters mixed in with some run jabs, then back up, and keep up with the guerrilla tactics until they smarten up and stand up to fight you, in which case you once again have the upper hand.

When to use it?

Whenever you get the opportunity!!!

When to activate it?

Now, when to activate it. It takes about 3/4 of a second to activate and be able to move again. Not much time, but an eternity when your being attacked. There are 5(or 6) main times to use it.

1. When your at full screen. They will either have to A. Run over to you, B. Throw a projectile, or C. Teleport. This can also be useful to bait into a punisher.

2. After his 4 Hit combo. After doing Reptile's 4 hit or any of Robo Smoke's Combos the enemy is on the ground just long enough for you to safely press Up, Down, HK, and Jump away. Remember, the opponents first instinct is to hit you ASAP to knock you out of invis so be ready for fast retaliation from them, jump back quickly.

3. When your Rushing down an opponent with Run Jabs. A Rare time to use, but if you play an offensive Reptile and your Run Jabbing, While holding block for the run jab, Go invisible. I PROMISE you they wont expect it. What they'll expect even less is a pop up or spear. 99% of the time when I do this the opponent lets go of block(remember, first instinct is to knock you out of invis fast) leaving them Wide open for a pop up or spear.

4. After you get hit with the final hit in a combo pushing you back. You usually have JUST enough time to quickly dial Up Down HK and jump backwards to avoid a rush down as they try to quickly knock you out.

5. After an uppercut you usually have just enough time to Turn invisible and jump back. it's kinda risky because you really don't have too much time, but it can be done.

6.(Robo Smoke Only) After a Spear. Basic, everyone does this. Just spear, go invisible, and combo away.

Vs Sektor

Sektor's Smart missile will reveal your position even before the missile hits by showing a cross hair locked onto your invisible self. Don't Panic. Use this to your advantage by faking the opponent out. They think it's a clear shot and they'll be able to easily hit you. Don't let them. Jump around AWAY from them alot. Use guerrilla techniques and rush in, attack, and jump back. Be careful not to jump into a Sektor as they will be able to easily anticipate it and aahp you into a combo. Main thing to note here is, while your not fully invisible anymore, your still partly invisible and you can use the fact that THEY think you aren't invisible at all anymore to your advantage. They still can't see which moves your doing(JK or just a jump in, Sweep or just standing there)

Most importantly, the main thing I want you to get out this guide and that I cannot Stress enough is that Invisibility is a Psychological move and it can be used and abused to win. Get in their heads!

Its so important, cheers ABC! I really need this.
Reptile can taunt just as easily as R-Smoke can, it is a bit harder, but with skilled hands you can do it a few times before the opponent has a chance to anything.

I just do this- hold block,up,relase block+down+hk, up,down+hk, up,down+hk, up,down+hk.

That will turn you invisible twice and works great at getting your opponent to rush and make mistakes. You need a bit of time to do this, I suspect the elite don't do this, but it is easy to do against low to med level opponents.

Droopy

Noob
Robo Smoke has alot of the same tactics. His spear is the only thing different. The teleport is useless unless your playing a deaf player or you score an aahp first. Robo Smoke can also mess around with the other player alot by jumping into and out of Invis, something Reptile can't do. Against Noobs, an invisible robo smoke is pretty much a win. Against better players though, They know how to counter an invisible Robo Smoke so Be careful.

Hope this helps guys, thanks for the read.

LOL, i played you the other day. Did not see anything special from your invis robo smoke. It might work on a blind person but not deaf. Nice guide tho. I gotta get workin on that reptile.

Yeah....I need to make my invis work lol
My reptile is pretty mean, but i use invis about....1 in 500 matches lol.

I havn't used invis in ages, and I agree, the run jab pressure to invis to popup works like a fuckin charm (even against me)

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
robo against non teleporters, back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back spear when ready.

rush against teleports but never finish the five hit auto, end it with a sweep or continue runjabs. ;)

robo against non teleporters, back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back spear when ready.

rush against teleports but never finish the five hit auto, end it with a sweep or continue runjabs. ;)
A good player will be expecting you to break the combo so they will be ready for it.

Tim Static

Adminerator
nah, invisible Robo Homo will run jab & cross you (deep JK, TU, aaP, blah, blah, blah....) up until they shit themselves. Cant just sit there and buffer the spear. ;)

PS- spam that air throw!

I use reptiles run jab invis trick a shit ton.

I just tap LP UD HK. No need to hit block and cause a slight stop in run jab. You can do it all in one motion.

This also makes you invis before they can react (they will be pushed back from the run jab and also kept in block due to hit stun)

LOL, i played you the other day. Did not see anything special from your invis robo smoke. It might work on a blind person but not deaf. Nice guide tho. I gotta get workin on that reptile.
That's because I'm only halfway decent with Robo Smoke. I said deaf because you can hear the TU even when Robo Smoke is invisible.

That's because I'm only halfway decent with Robo Smoke. I said deaf because you can hear the TU even when Robo Smoke is invisible.
Yeah, invis is definitely overlooked a lot. I almost feel it is common courtesy to use it sparingly for online play, because it is such a huge advantage.

This is one of the few things that is a HUGE advantage online(off too, but more so online) if used correctly.
Mainly because you cannot hear or see the persons hands reacting on the controls.
(I know there is fake out hand gestures and control panel slaps, but that art is damn near forgotten)
Yeh for sure...but I never really get fooled by someone who is inv. Or even as sheisse says something like cross handed play. I limit my inv. Imo Too much work for what 75% of the time gets dealt massive damage. Send me friend requests...Id like to see how long you could stay inv against me...lol...peace

Droopy

Noob
Filer, thats the best you can do? Make fun of somebody over somethin they got no control of? Gonna come up with somethin better if u want me to actually care.

FILER

Noob
Filer, thats the best you can do? Make fun of somebody over somethin they got no control of? Gonna come up with somethin better if u want me to actually care.
Okay, okay...

You also suck at this game.

Whine like a bitch constantly when you lose.

And...

You suck at reading lips.

For the record, in competitive real life play, invisibility is alot less useful because you can see the other person and what there doing. Hence why alot of old school players dont use it so much.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Shock and Frank are exactly right, you don't watch the hands, it's the body language and hearing buttons/joystick presses that tell you what to expect. This is absent from online (obviously).

Online and Offline are two completely different experiences.

Shock and Frank are exactly right, you don't watch the hands, it's the body language and hearing buttons/joystick presses that tell you what to expect. This is absent from online (obviously).

Online and Offline are two completely different experiences.
Maybe on a cab, but not on a 360. Different as in no lag offline, yes. When I play my friends offline on the 360, it's the same as online, again minus the lag/delay.

I can see how this would apply on a cab though, or someone using a noisy arcade stick.