What's new

A true DBZ fighting game?

those footsies tho

now imagine this in current gen
LOL! I remember downloading that one and playing the computer a lot. Its uh....not quite as fluid as i remember. I think my teenage self filled in the gaps and remembered it as being more like that fan game.

Allseriousness...I don't know any history that game may have with a competitive scene but having your ki and life tied to the same meter sounds like it would probably be crazy broken in retrospect.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Frieza's appearance was a little awkward and that laugh was to joker-esque but would be an epic movie if done right.
If done right, yeah. But not many ppl can make a good DBZ film without the use of CGI. Not even one good actor can portray Goku, they need that hair done right first of all.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
the dbz 3d free roam type fighters are garbage af they need to go back to the budokai 3 style but just make it 2d or just go with that fan made game, shit looks amazing

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Blasphemy, Burst Limit was the 3rd, maybe 2nd best in terms of fighting.
Not at all...the game had a ton of issues. The most major being that the meter system wasn't properly adjusted for the various meter-based options the game had. Teleports being 1-bar, mega crash is 1-bar also, some characters gained back meter automatically at absurd rates, dodging was basically free if you played to properly manage your fatigue. All of this didn't mesh well, since the Budokai engine in general is so heavily designed around proper ki meter management. If you do not manage your meter right in any Budokai post B2, barring this one, you died (B1 and B2 had no teleports, so getting caught in a combo meant you died). If you did, the damage you suffered was bearable. In this, there is practically no way to punish characters for any mistakes they make unless you catch them at the very beginning of the match, after transformations or missed supers, or if they manage to be terrible enough to blow all of their meter that easily...in which case, it generally led to death or near-death because you do not build meter while being hit.

The game essentially came down to luck or players being 100% incompetent in order to win. After that first bar was gained, your opportunity to ever open up your opponent just dwindled, and the game became stale as shit to play. And note, this isn't taking into account that it is possible to dodge before you can block, which made the earlier point about dodging that much more retarded. Now you have an option that technically made you safer than you already were (actually capable of interrupting your opponent's punish attempt), for just a small ki cost.

BL was very, very bad on the mechanics side of things. The 3 best Budokai games were B3, Shin Budokai 2, and Infinite World. Burst Limit is pretty much only better than the first two since the first two were absolutely awful mechanically as well.

THTB

Infinite World is the best one yet. Minus broken Yamcha. I wish they would go back to the Budokai engine. -_-
Lol, Yamcha wasn't that bad. Top 5? Easily, but he suffered from shitty baseline and pretty bad damage. Now that I think about it more, I wouldn't be surprised if people realized he probably was the worst of top 5.

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
Hyper dimension and maybe super dbz were the only GOOD dbz fighting games. I know everyone mentions The budokai series but they were buns. We only liked them because we were desperate for a good dbz game and they had a little bit of depth.

Hyper dimension is actually pretty good though.

THTB

Hyper dimension and maybe super dbz were the only GOOD dbz fighting games. I know everyone mentions The budokai series but they were buns. We only liked them because we were desperate for a good dbz game and they had a little bit of depth.

Hyper dimension is actually pretty good though.
Hyper Dimension is okay, Super DBZ is solid but linear and involves too much grinding to gain access to mechanics that should've been default. Budokais actually had a lot of depth that didn't really get discovered or explored until it was too late (double ki cancels, counter to armor, just to name a couple things). Not to mention, only a handful of people actually had human competition to play offline, so the game's footsies weren't nearly as refined as they could be. And Shin Budokai was PSP-only, with laggy ad-hoc play.

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
We both know that Ki cancels/transformation cancels were the only depth it had and it wasn't even intentional. Those games were never designed for anything other than a franchise payout. And I still played them forever because I was a dbz fanatic :(

THTB

We both know that Ki cancels/transformation cancels were the only depth it had and it wasn't even intentional. Those games were never designed for anything other than a franchise payout. And I still played them forever because I was a dbz fanatic :(
Ki cancels were 100% intentional. Cancelling in general was intentional after B1, as B2's AI was actually programmed to use some basic cancel combos. And that wasn't the only part of the depth. There were a lot of viable options to take in. SBAR was incredible, and would've been even better if it wasn't plagued by the console it was released on.

While they were cash-ins on DBZ, they weren't exactly bad cash-ins. The games satisfied players, both casual and competitive, which is a total contrast to what Spike had been doing with the franchise.

E

Eldriken

I remember playing the hell out of Hyper Dimensions on an emulator. omg

We need a real DBZ fighting game, damn it. It looks like the fan made one will be the only one we'll get, however.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Lol Piccolo, he gets one or two episodes a saga to be the baddest motherfucker on the show then gets bodied.

Everlast

KTG | EVERLAST
Its a fan game made by some guys who are both serious DBZ fans and fighting game "aficionados" (their words) who wanted to make a legit DBZ tournament fighter. You can download the demo right now, but the only characters really playable ATM are Goku and Vegeta. There's a lot left to do in it....but the game is freaking gorgeous looking. Its the DBZ game my 13 year old self always wanted.
what system can this be downloaded on?