Votes: 12 24.0%
  • No.

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • Additional response (comment below).

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

portent

Noob
@Sage Leviathan I've looked at discord and that's all it is, discord, which is a lack of agreement or lack of harmony.

Discord is so difficult to follow unless you're constantly logged on, and that becomes a full time job. Its impossible for those of us with full time jobs.

Lets also not forget the MKX illuminati PM's for high level players where you had to know the right someone to get invited to them. Discord is basically the same thing, just not saved on the TYM server.

So lets not be naive here and think that certain things aren't happening or that this isn't about money or hoarding tech.

First thing is, the top players are developing or have developed egos and don't want to even be bothered by new forum members or new players. They have no interest in seeing the community develop any further because every new member is a potential threat to their esports earnings.

This leads to hoarding tech and only sharing with other top players. This controls the flow of information, limiting tech to only top players, making the road that much harder for talented players who could stand in their way.

There's your fractured community.

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
i love tym -- i really do.

with that being said, the format is outdated and not mobile friendly. i reminds me of the main site for quake (http://www.esreality.com) -- it looks like its stuck in 2006

i could write a lot more but the general point is this: discord is clearly filling a gap that TYM is not. if i were TYM i would either

A) list and link to all relevant discords in each forum

or

B) incorporate the features that make discord appealing into TYM's default interface

this is not a dig at TYM. it is true for shoryuken.com, dustloop.com, etc
I totally agree man. Design feels like 2006-2008 for sure.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
the only thing that sucks about discord is that it it not recorded.. anything people discuss and stuff is lost...

I'm out of the loop of the whole discord thing because I haven't really been playing fighting games heavily since MKX and don't even know what it is, or when it started up, but I'll just give my opinion of the current state of TYM's character specific forums from the eyes of a casual lurker currently going through a character crisis.

Since I've been coming to this site when Injustice 2 was released, I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed in the state of the character forums on here these days. Not all of them are bad of course; off the top of my head right now I can point out how good the Doctor Fate, Cyborg, Beetle, Harley, Bane and Cheetah forums are (especially the Fate forums, as there's been an a great deal of new tech, info, and discussion coming out of it on a daily basis), but they're others that are lacking a great deal.

Let's say you wanted to pickup and learn a new character today, or you simply have been struggling with a character lately; rather it being a difficult match-up or certain nuances about them you can't figure out, so you come here to TYM, the #1 source of competitive NRS gaming.

You're on the homepage, click on the character icons, and what do you see?
  • Character forums with little to no activity going on outside of the general discussions
  • Character forums with no stickies outside general discussion and combo threads (and a couple don't even have those hardly)
  • Character forums with no match-up discussion threads
  • Character forums with no threads for high level or tournament matches
  • Character forums with more complaining about how weak/strong the character is compared to actual tech info and discussion of them itself
  • Character forums that are disorganized to the point where navigating through them for specific info becomes a hassle
  • And lastly, character forums that have so little activity to the point where you wonder if people even play the character
Maybe I'm wrong and just overblowing the state of the character specific forums based on a game that hasn't even been out for a month, but I just find it a little weird that I can go into a sub-forum on here for a completely different game then what this website promotes, and find more discussion and info there for that game then in the actual Injustice 2 forums.

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
I'll be honest- it is really hard to get games here on tym, and almost all of the good tech/matchup discussions(for every character I've played) have taken place through private conversations. This isn't new either. The circle jerk has always been real and discord does not share these issues.

myri

Time Warrior
Been pumping time into the Ivy forums to try and bring them to life for just this reason. I think it's fine to use discord to have a quick chat about things but eventually someone has to take that information and put it here in a complete manner, which is basically what I've been trying to do.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
I always have and always will love forums for the way things are organized and how easy they are to follow and access information. In a way discord has taken away heavily from this, there's less information on these forums than on discord these days, and that's a bad thing.

On the other hand I do understand why discord has taken off in such a big way. Smaller collective groups mean less rules, less controversy (from people in other character forums) and therefore more freedom to say and be yourself and discuss your character without interruption from people who don't know what they're talking about. Often on these forums it feels like I shouldn't post when I have a question because no one else is doing it and it would probably be rail roaded by some salty guy who's never used the character in their lives but thinks they know all about it... so i'd rather post a quick question or observation on discord instead. I honestly expected the character forums here to be flooded with threads and questions, but that's not the case probably because of discord.

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
The TYM discord stuff sucks. It's all over the place and it feels very segregated. I wish people would just post their shit in the forums here instead.

Discord isn't all bad though. The Tekken Zaibatsu discord for example is actually growing the community because it is fantastic. It's just a giant wonderful hub of Tekken knowledge and tech for everybody.

I'm on a couple of the discords, and they're good for idle chat and brainstorming strategies, but that's about it. They get a dialog going, but they are no substitute for tech/combo/matchup guide threads.

Espio

Kokomo
I only post on TYM. I'm not even trying to keep up with discord. I post my analysis, video content and other stuff and it is easily accessible here. There's too many channels and I have enough group chats on FB, Skype and other places to bother. I tried Discord, but unless you have lots of free time, good games keeping up lol.

I post content everywhere when I find it. I generally prefer Discord because conversations are easily kept on track in the Character specific ones. Whereas on TYM, things get derailed and "Aids" are more rampant with some posters.

Far as match making is concerned. I actually made a joke regarding a post I made in the Kitana forums one day looking for match up experience. Had 100-300 views and not a single response. The same could be said in my post in the D'vorah forums requesting games.

Went on Twitter and in minutes had lined up sets with D'vorah, Kitana and other character players of above average level.

At this point I really come to TYM to update the Scarecrow forums with information I find, but I rarely linger beyond that, save for a comment here or there.

Tweedy

Noob
Twitter and discord are way better than TYM at this point. I even joined the Red Hood discord because I want the earliest scoops on whatever a lot of them find.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Well, this IS a gaming chat room, so what's the deal?

It benefits us TYM as the chat room that the TYM site itself NEVER had. We could discuss about the combos, techs and such, and then to introduce them in the TYM here.

In a sense, I see it as a chat room for TYM.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I'm out of the loop of the whole discord thing because I haven't really been playing fighting games heavily since MKX and don't even know what it is, or when it started up, but I'll just give my opinion of the current state of TYM's character specific forums from the eyes of a casual lurker currently going through a character crisis.

Since I've been coming to this site when Injustice 2 was released, I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed in the state of the character forums on here these days. Not all of them are bad of course; off the top of my head right now I can point out how good the Doctor Fate, Cyborg, Beetle, Harley, Bane and Cheetah forums are (especially the Fate forums, as there's been an a great deal of new tech, info, and discussion coming out of it on a daily basis), but they're others that are lacking a great deal.

Let's say you wanted to pickup and learn a new character today, or you simply have been struggling with a character lately; rather it being a difficult match-up or certain nuances about them you can't figure out, so you come here to TYM, the #1 source of competitive NRS gaming.

You're on the homepage, click on the character icons, and what do you see?
  • Character forums with little to no activity going on outside of the general discussions
  • Character forums with no stickies outside general discussion and combo threads (and a couple don't even have those hardly)
  • Character forums with no match-up discussion threads
  • Character forums with no threads for high level or tournament matches
  • Character forums with more complaining about how weak/strong the character is compared to actual tech info and discussion of them itself
  • Character forums that are disorganized to the point where navigating through them for specific info becomes a hassle
  • And lastly, character forums that have so little activity to the point where you wonder if people even play the character
Maybe I'm wrong and just overblowing the state of the character specific forums based on a game that hasn't even been out for a month, but I just find it a little weird that I can go into a sub-forum on here for a completely different game then what this website promotes, and find more discussion and info there for that game then in the actual Injustice 2 forums.
While I definitely agree with you, you can always post these threads yourself. You don't even have to know the character, just make a post saying matchup discussion goes here and get the ball rolling.

I do agree that one of the mods needs to go in and start sticking threads though.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
I post all my tech on my YouTube Channel and TYM, I don't fuck with Discord. Unfortunately I'm at uni rn so I can't post my tech until next Saturday.

Also don't have a clue what people are complaining about when they say TYM sucks on mobile. Maybe they're referring to iOS or fucking Blackberry or something because I've had two Androids now and it's worked perfectly on both.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Also don't have a clue what people are complaining about when they say TYM sucks on mobile. Maybe they're referring to iOS or fucking Blackberry or something because I've had two Androids now and it's worked perfectly on both.
They're reffering to it in general. It needs a rework for the mobile version, and to make it doable it needs to be reworked right from here this site. Even if you resize the mobile version, the upper bar is what fucks the whole picture there.

Sony Xperia Z Ultra here.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
The problem is really a fundamental one which is that message boards have gone out of favor across the internet in favor of Reddit and Discord. TYM is falling prey to a worldwide trend, not a TYM-specific trend.

While I definitely agree with you, you can always post these threads yourself. You don't even have to know the character, just make a post saying matchup discussion goes here and get the ball rolling.

I do agree that one of the mods needs to go in and start sticking threads though.
Yeah, you're right. I've definitely been pondering logging on here a few times and creating a simple matchup or competitive/high level gameplay thread for characters I play that currently don't have them. I do plan on contributing more on this site though, so if any aren't popping up I'll just create some myself.

Da Tac0

GT: C88 Taco
Yeah fuck discord...
I gotta disagree with people who say this site isn't mobile friendly. The only negative is ads and quoting someone. That said I would rule with an iron fist if I was a mod and would can all discord links. Shoot at other forums you try posting a competitors site that's a instant ban. Don't get why TYM is being soft on that front. Is what's it is though.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Discord can eat a dick. Tym as cancerous it can be sometimes it's still a useful source for information. I do wish more top players would come back and bring things back to the old old days when I did more lurking then posting but meh.

Also it's not only discord that's changed things but time and the stupid rules as well. There used to be more off topic threads for wrestling, music, sports and other shit. Links to srk & other mk sites If I remember correctly... It's been a while but threads and character sections used to be pages DEEP with info.

Nowadays it's kinda of a ghost town. You got Instagram & Twitter and all those other sites to contend with.

Maybe a lil trip down memory lane for some mods back to 2011-2015 would recapture that static electricity that was once lighting in a bottle that was/is

Test Your Might. The premiere site for NRS games and...

But I'm going to check out discord for more Tekken 7 info and it's characters.

BlooEyedBeast

Aqua Hood
No, I already looked at that. It basically posts all forum activity to Discord. I'm not sure I like that.

Maybe vote on it though.
Wasn't there something a while back where certain clans could be joined and only members of that clan could see those certain threads? I thought I remember something along those lines being on TYM when I was lurking a while back. Maybe MKX?
Anywho, would it be possible to do something similar for character specific threads to act as a sort of discord?
I know I'm probably explaining what I'm trying to say poorly