What's new

A Quick Reminder About 3rd Variations by Ed Boon

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
Thank god. There’s quite a few characters I like in this game but Frost is the only one I’ve found so far who has a variation that has most of the moves I like from her in it.

Better hope the 3rd variation NRS chooses for your character isn't garbage.

I guarantee some character is going to get the equivalent of pre-patch Dirtbag as a 3rd variation.

all 3rd variations will be moves not currently used slammed together

bet
Probably. Which is nice because some of those moves really help/change the character but unfortunately, most characters are still going to have moves not usable in competitive still because lots of characters have 3-5 moves that are not used right now and some of those moves are 2 slot moves.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Not interested in variations at all.
We need omnipotent normals brought down to reasonable and bad normals looked into.
There are a few one-button characters like Erron and Liu, and the rest.

They either need to give every character a one-button string that's competitive or nerf the fuck out of the invincible highmidlowerhead 9f advancing launcher bullshit.

they've shown little interest in balancing customs, if the last patch was any indication
They aren't going to be doing all of the balancing in one go. They're following a pattern that's pretty easy to discern imo:
  1. Make the abilities, balance as much as possible for the 2 variations and ship the game
  2. Balance pass for the lesser used variations to try and bring them up to par with the first ones
  3. Balance pass for the moves that will be going into variation 3
  4. Balance pass for the first 2 variations again
  5. Release variation 3
  6. Balance pass for the remaining custom moves
  7. Maybe talk about a special move quick pick UI for character select
  8. Maybe release customs to ranked
And I would say this is an abridged version.

Last edited:

Agilaz

It has begun
I think a third variation will go a long way toward seeing all of a character's defining moves in play.

Honestly, I was super pro-customs before release but I dread the idea of it now as it would turn every character insanely good. Also I'm fairly sure it would lead to less variety instead of more, as people would just go with the strongest setup after a while.

For Shang, I can see them doing a ninja variation (obvious) or more of a setup variation with fire tornado and debuffs. Sounds sick tbh. Really curious!

kantboy-2

Ripper
Why are normal moves and combo paths considered 'special moves' to begin with?

Integrate those into the standard move sets and balance them accordingly.

Then you can do a 3rd variation.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
They aren't going to be doing all of the balancing in one go. They're following a pattern that's pretty easy to discern imo:
  1. Make the abilities, balance as much as possible for the 2 variations and ship the game
  2. Balance pass over the lesser used variations to try and bring them up to par with the first ones
  5. Release variation 3
This sounds reasonable to me actually

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
  2. Balance pass over the lesser used variations to try and bring them up to par with the first ones
  5. Release variation 3
The problem is that the last step you mentioned that could possibly take place in a year should have been in effect since release.

grandabx

The Flameater
Kustom in ranked is a terrible idea IMO. It would ruin the tournament scene.
This game won't have a tournament scene in the near future.

They spent all of those months telling people they'll be able to play how THEY want, but didn't tell them it would be only be for casual play. Now all anyone can do is play "how" the COMPANY wants them to play. It's blatant false advertisement. No excuses.

They can't even get two company-choice variations working even AFTER that balance patch. Months after release.

MK11 = stagnation nation

Injustice 2 participation numbers coming right up! Brought to you by scared casuals and short attention spans!

Last edited:

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Nice, I'm really interested to see Shao Kahn's 3rd variation and the future balance for the rest.
On a side note, after the last patch it seems NRS is focusing on balancing variations and not moves. I have a feeling custom variatipn tournament mode will never come. It's a shame, but we'll see in the future.

They spent all of those months telling people they'll be able to play how THEY want, but didn't tell them it would be only be for casual play. Now all anyone can do is play "how" the COMPANY wants them to play. It's blatant false advertisement. No excuses.
The bulk of the buyers of the game are casuals, so there's a good chance they're playing exactly what they were told.

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
I mean I don't see how well this can turn out. Current tournament variations already have the most important moves, and I assume that the 3rd variation will consist of different moves entirely so I don't see how good that can be.