What's new

a problem or not a problem

need to be fix or not

• Total voters

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
I vote problem. Sektor has the same issue with 1,2,b1 or 1,2,2 - just no one knows it yet.

Makes it very hard to pressure game someone. At least Sonya has a very good d4 and a naked overhead to mix into things. Should still be addressed though.

I vote problem. Sektor has the same issue with 1,2,b1 or 1,2,2 - just no one knows it yet.

Makes it very hard to pressure game someone. At least Sonya has a very good d4 and a naked overhead to mix into things. Should still be addressed though.
is not really the same sektor can only be uppercut out of it you can not try to jump out against sektor or go for a combo sonya eats a full combo on reaction

What I got from this video was...."My attacks are whiffing and I'm getting punished for it...please fix."

Now don't get the wrong idea some stuff with Sonya doesn't make sense. For example, 21 whiffing on crouchers wtf...IIRC that use to hit pre-patch 1 or 2.
With the rest of the strings, for example, with 4 xx cartwheel, there's a long pause before the cartwheel comes out. It's interruptable and not a true block string. I could make the same argument for Sub Zero's 212, or Jax F414.

If you have to fix anything, fix 21 whiffing on crouchers. Everything else seems normal.

Hey thanks for sharing how to kick Sonya's ass. :) Yo FoxyGrandpa I think I'm ready for that rematch. :p

I can see how this might be a problem for Sonya, but at the same time couldn't you take advantage of those flaws? Knowing the opponent will likely uppercut or jump between your strings, I would just not finish the string and counter what my opponent does next. Uppercut and jumps are both easily punishable. And if you condition your opponent to think you will never finish your strings then that's when you'll be able to pressure more safely.

Stryker suffers from the same thing.

What I got from this video was...."My attacks are whiffing and I'm getting punished for it...please fix."
If you have to fix anything, fix 21 whiffing on crouchers. Everything else seems normal.
the video is not about you getting punish on whiff is about you getting punish after your opponent duck block your strings and been able to jump out of them. . . . . . a character getting uppercut out of a high attack is 100% find but your opponent been able to jump and combo you out of your high attack is bs if you ask me

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
is not really the same sektor can only be uppercut out of it you can not try to jump out against sektor or go for a combo sonya eats a full combo on reaction
I've had full combos done to me mid 1,2,b1 before. I don't think you can jump over him though during either strings however.

Shady

Noob
This definitely needs to be fixed, it's a big part of her pressure game to be able to apply that to your opponent. I think that is something they definitely need to take care off. Thanks for pointing this out Riu. By the way, watching your Sonya at VSM and Salty Battles was an absolutely blast. I really hope I can make it out to VSM Thursday in October when I'm in the area just to play against some guys of your caliber that show up there and learn something from you.

doomfarmer

unorthodox
I'm only like a minute into the video when i'm writing this but... is the poll about fixing holes in her strings? Because... doesn't everyone have holes in some of their strings? Some characters more than others of course. It just seems like this video shows people how to poke her out of her combos, problems every character has, and so it's not really a "please patch this" scenario, because nothing is broken. Maybe i'm not understanding the video though. I don't really know anything beyond the characters I use. :/ (so I wont vote)

Shady

Noob
I'm only like a minute into the video when i'm writing this but... is the poll about fixing holes in her strings? Because... doesn't everyone have holes in some of their strings? Some characters more than others of course. It just seems like this video shows people how to poke her out of her combos, problems every character has, and so it's not really a "please patch this" scenario, because nothing is broken. Maybe i'm not understanding the video though. I don't really know anything beyond the characters I use. :/ (so I wont vote)
I think it's not that you can poke out of it, it's that you can jump out of it, or punish it with a full combo on reaction in the middle of a combo, which shouldn't happen. You can poke out of Johnny Cage's frame trap, you can poke out of Kabal's low block string you cannot however interrupt them with a full combo... You just can't do that.

But how are they gonna fix that? By making her cartwheel and 4 have faster start up? Or by increasing blockstun on the first hits?

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
You are exactly right, the lack of critical thinking in this thread is annoying. Tons of characters have moves that whiff if their opponent is crouch blocking. People like you are the people who should be voting. Luckily I know that if an NRS employee reads this thread they will just laugh.

Shady

Noob
You are exactly right, the lack of critical thinking in this thread is annoying. Tons of characters have moves that whiff if their opponent is crouch blocking. People like you are the people who should be voting. Luckily I know that if an NRS employee reads this thread they will just laugh.
Coming back to what I previously said for people not reading it through everything before posting (for lack of reading the rest of the posts before posting). And you can be free to correct me on that one, but out of that list of characters in your head that have those kinds of moves.... Can you punish them with a FULL COMBO in the middle of theirs... Not after it's done, but in the middle... when you already press the 1 1 4 (so the 4 is meant to come out) but your opponent decides "hey I'll just do a combo right after the second 1" and it will disregard the whole input all together... Sure, you can poke out of the strings you're talking about, but can you fully combo punish in the middle of them?

I could be wrong, I didn't test every single string in the game, but I am pretty sure that this is pretty unique to Sonya and maybe Sektor (I'll take Swift's word since his Sektor is wizard like).

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Coming back to what I previously said for people not reading it through everything before posting (for lack of reading the rest of the posts before posting). And you can be free to correct me on that one, but out of that list of characters in your head that have those kinds of moves.... Can you punish them with a FULL COMBO in the middle of theirs... Not after it's done, but in the middle... when you already press the 1 1 4 (so the 4 is meant to come out) but your opponent decides "hey I'll just do a combo right after the second 1" and it will disregard the whole input all together... Sure, you can poke out of the strings you're talking about, but can you fully combo punish in the middle of them?

I could be wrong, I didn't test every single string in the game, but I am pretty sure that this is pretty unique to Sonya and maybe Sektor (I'll take Swift's word since his Sektor is wizard like).
You can't punish Sektor with a full combo for 1, 2, b1. But the answer is yes, off the top of my head Raiden eats full combos between some of his block strings. Why aren't people punishing him with full combos though?

Sektor can be punished by a full combo in between the 1, 4 of his 2, 1, 4 string as well.

Shady

Noob
Okay, so three characters... That's hardly a tonne of characters. Look, I'm not trying to be an asshole here, and I apologize if it's coming off that way, but like I said the inherent problem is just that full combo punish. And I think Raiden has block stun so there are only like a few options (ie Reptile's dash) because all 3 hits of the string actually hit even a crouching opponent (if we're thinking the same string) and in addition he might not be getting punished because his string is overhead so you have to take a risk to block low and put lots of stock into your timing.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Okay, so three characters... That's hardly a tonne of characters. Look, I'm not trying to be an asshole here, and I apologize if it's coming off that way, but like I said the inherent problem is just that full combo punish. And I think Raiden has block stun so there are only like a few options (ie Reptile's dash) because all 3 hits of the string actually hit even a crouching opponent (if we're thinking the same string) and in addition he might not be getting punished because his string is overhead so you have to take a risk to block low and put lots of stock into your timing.
Actually a majority of the cast has holes in some of their block strings, I'm just not going to go through every one to win an internet argument. As I've said, this does not require patching.

Shady

Noob
Actually a majority of the cast has holes in some of their block strings, I'm just not going to go through every one to win an internet argument. As I've said, this does not require patching.
Who's arguing? When I say I would love to know those strings it is not be being sarcastic to prologue an argument, it is me trying to learn more about the game, understand it better and so on and so forth. I'm sure you have a strong basis for disagreeing with this, but I don't and that's why I would love to know those strings so I expand my knowledge.

B W1zZ

Noob
I find it fascinating that some of the same people who say kung lao is 100% fine the way he is and that people need to just learn the game say that this needs to be fixed.

Sonya isn't the only character that has moves that whiff overhead and can be punished or poked out of. Doing a combo in between a block string isn't very realistic in an actual match anyways.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Who's arguing? When I say I would love to know those strings it is not be being sarcastic to prologue an argument, it is me trying to learn more about the game, understand it better and so on and so forth. I'm sure you have a strong basis for disagreeing with this, but I don't and that's why I would love to know those strings so I expand my knowledge.
I'm not home, so I cant test the cast for you but I just remembered another one. Sub Zero b1, 2, 1 or 4.

Shady

Noob
I'm not home, so I cant test the cast for you but I just remembered another one. Sub Zero b1, 2, 1 or 4.
Really? Interesting because I thought he had enough block stun on every hit... Maybe I'm wrong, I don't play Sub or test him. I didn't want you to test the cast for me, I just wanted to know some of those strings, I can test them myself. Thanks tho....

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Really? Interesting because I thought he had enough block stun on every hit... Maybe I'm wrong, I don't play Sub or test him. I didn't want you to test the cast for me, I just wanted to know some of those strings, I can test them myself. Thanks tho....
If you crouch block jax's 4, 1, x combo you get free pokes/uppercuts because the 1 will whiff over your head.