What's new

Question - Ravenous A plea to fix Ravenous Mileena. *Detailed Breakdown*

Do you agree that Ravenous Mileena needs to be fixed?

• Yes, she has issues that needs to be repaired.

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • No, she is fine.

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
Okay, I don't really like posting about mileena changes but..

All she needs in this variation is for f12 low pounce and f34 low pounce to connect if they are blocking low.

She would then be a dangerous 50/50 character, and she will be a lot safer too...
For example if you do f344 you can end it in high pounce to be -7 instead of -26

But because low pounce doesn't connect with hitstun, like chance said, ravenous is unreliable in tournaments.
If they were to fix this issue, mileena would have 2 viable variations.

Ethereal, since we're at it.

She should have the ability to teleport without throwing the sai (to keep your opponent guessing where it is you teleported)
Faster startup and recovery on the fades/ Armor on EX Fade
Gets a new footsie attack (like cassie b1), where she teleports very quickly and stabs mid or something (she needs new normals/strings)
Teleport kick should combo without meter (like dvorah in swarm queen) but not as damaging as Ex teleport.

Piercing I think is fine.

I am unhappy with the recent b3 nerf though, it was basically a damage nerf.

Wow, some people still think ravenous is as good as piercing? No offense to you but any reasonable person would figure piercing's superiority over ravenous at week 1... I agree with everything on this topic.

@Mr. Mileena I have a feeling the b3 nerf was accidental while they were trying to improve its hitbox. I mean It's not even listed to the hotfix changes, and it doesn't make sense at all. If NRS is aware I'm pretty sure they will fix it.

Aight, I gotta ask... is there a reason you don't like posting about this stuff?
I mean I've voiced what I think is wrong with her, but I still feel she's viable. She's just gotta work for it.

I think every character has a shot at making it far in a tournament. They all have some dirt, it's just others have far superior tools and dirt than the lower tier characters. It's not like MK9 status where bottom 15 = no chance in tournies.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
I mean I've voiced what I think is wrong with her, but I still feel she's viable. She's just gotta work for it.

I think every character has a shot at making it far in a tournament. They all have some dirt, it's just others have far superior tools and dirt than the lower tier characters. It's not like MK9 status where bottom 15 = no chance in tournies.
This

JDE

I still like Piercing in most of her matches, though. I just prefer the low sai addition opposed to the biting.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
"The problem is that the high pounce while safe against almost the entire cast, ends her pressure on block. Often times leaving her at more disadvantage then her cancellable strings on her own. To give you an example of this, look at her b12 string. B12 is a really good advancing mid that mileena can use in the neutral. If she does naked b12 she is left at -5, if she does B12~high pounce she is now left at -7. Another good example is F12b4~high pounce. F12b4 leaves her at -4 while F12b4 high pounce leaves her at -7. Seeing as the opponent can block high or low against this option, Mileena never really gains anything from it on a block string, in fact, she loses."
I don't agree with this. Because it's very hard to hit confirm B12, F4 and the low hit of F12B4 into roll, people playing piercing is afraid to do the full string and just happy with the safe option. But it's also a waste of combo opportunity when those strings hit and Mileena doesn't do anything after. I play ravenous mileena i often walk back and try to caught people pressing buttons with B12, F4 cancel into high pounce and if i hit, i got 20% meterless, without taking risk if they block (actually there's some risk again certain characters). And obviously she gains more meter with high pounce to end strings

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
What do you think about the idea of making low pounce an overhead and something like -7 or worse on block. Piercing has a low special move and ravenous has an overhead special?
But anyway, i desperately need the hit box fix for F12, D1 and "position on hit" fix for anti air roll

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
I love how before proposing changes to something people have to first say they're not complaining since people on tym love to jump on people every chance they get.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
With that said, you basically want Ravenous to be able to compete. She can. The proof is over in Virginia.
Grundy is legit, remember that tourney he placed second?

:p

I get it that we can't say the opposite either, but I hope we aren't going to pretend a single event proves something.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Grundy is legit, remember that tourney he placed second?

:p

I get it that we can't say the opposite either, but I hope we aren't going to pretend a single event proves something.
I for one think a character's strength and a player's skill are synonymous. I mean, the whole point of the post was to make Ravenous tournament viable. How is it not after tournament results?

ManBatHorse

Syzoth of the Devil Reef

You sir. You know your shit

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I for one think a character's strength and a player's skill are synonymous.
Not sure how list of data and properties presented by game designer to programmers is the same as skill of a fighting game player.

I mean, the whole point of the post was to make Ravenous tournament viable. How is it not after tournament results?
I don't question results. I'm just not sure that it's an indication that Mileena (in whatever variation, for that matter) is a stable character that will be worth being picked over everyone else and compete with the rest of the cast played by other good players.

Like I said, Tyrant managed to get second place with Grundy relatively early, but what happened when people learned what Grundy can and can't do? He was pretty much obliterated by every character that mattered in the end and mocked by a few gimmicky ones as well. Not what I'd call tournament viability.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Not sure how list of data and properties presented by game designer to programmers is the same as skill of a fighting game player.

I don't question results. I'm just not sure that it's an indication that Mileena (in whatever variation, for that matter) is a stable character that will be worth being picked over everyone else and compete with the rest of the cast played by other good players.

Like I said, Tyrant managed to get second place with Grundy relatively early, but what happened when people learned what Grundy can and can't do? He was pretty much obliterated by every character that mattered in the end and mocked by a few gimmicky ones as well. Not what I'd call tournament viability.
I guess that was a wrong choice of words. More like they go hand-in-hand. Moving to your next point, is there some sort of requirement for being tournament viable outside of placing well in a tournament? The meta changes as time goes on but that doesn't mean we can't label a character until it does.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I guess that was a wrong choice of words. More like they go hand-in-hand. Moving to your next point, is there some sort of requirement for being tournament viable outside of placing well in a tournament? The meta changes as time goes on but that doesn't mean we can't label a character until it does.
I'd say that placing well in a tournament is a result of immediate tournament viability rather than a requirement ;)

Well, as for indication of it, we don't have much besides practical results, although we should also know that character doesn't struggle really hard against commonly used characters, and doesn't have killer counterpicks I'd say.

Not having to abuse gimmicks that are easily figured out once shown to public also helps with longevity.

All in all, I'm just saying that we probably can't put a character in a "forever fine" pile because it taken something once.

JDE

1. She has no okizeme from the low pounce or high pounce other than a hkd. The pounce does not grant enough advantage for any followups to be guaranteed.

2. She actually has less damage than Piercing unless I am doing the wrong BNB's. B12~roll B3~teleport air sai F24 High Pounce = 33%
Piercing gets 35%.

3. She currently has the exact same mixups as Piercing except for her pokes and 2~low pounce.
I was actually referring to F1 & F12 on knockdown, not the low pounce. I went back & looked at how I worded it; it was wrong. My bad for the confusion

Once again, I think that, logically, she SHOULD be able to tick throw off of the setups mentioned. It is what the tool was designed for. But, I also think NRS may have done this intentionally because maybe they thought it would be too strong. (I wish I had a chance to be there as things were being designed just to see what their vision of every character was at first before release.) That being said, I highly doubt LP will get changed at all. HP being less negative on block is probably more realistic for the "aggressive variation" that Ravenous is supposed to be.

On the whole player vs character thing... Saltface doing well with her recently is great. No joke. But if we're talking about characters, you gotta separate that from the players. Sometimes players do well *in spite* of the character, while some others do well *because* of their character. Sometimes luck comes into play as well (opponents drop combos, miss punishes, move whiffs randomly at crucial time, etc). It's the same reason tier lists should never be formed based on any SINGLE tourney performance. Even if that tourney is a major.

Last edited:
Holy shit. First, I agree bugs need fixing, like the b12 1+2 string, d1 whiffing, f12 not always connecting properly, and whatever else.

But that's it. The rest of your post is dumb shit. If you play piercing because you think "piercing is pretty much the only Mileena variation that matters competitively," you are wrong, plain and simple. Piercing is shit, ethereal is shit. Ravenous is her only decent variation.

I'll add more to this post detailing why after I get off work. I don't feel like wasting my valuable lunch break typing this shit up.

The correct buffs for ravenous mileena:

-fix the bugs listed above
-increase advantage on hit for high pounce

end of list.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Holy shit. First, I agree bugs need fixing, like the b12 1+2 string, d1 whiffing, f12 not always connecting properly, and whatever else.

But that's it. The rest of your post is dumb shit. If you play piercing because you think "piercing is pretty much the only Mileena variation that matters competitively," you are wrong, plain and simple. Piercing is shit, ethereal is shit. Ravenous is her only decent variation.

I'll add more to this post detailing why after I get off work. I don't feel like wasting my valuable lunch break typing this shit up.

The correct buffs for ravenous mileena:

-fix the bugs listed above
-increase advantage on hit for high pounce

end of list.
I'm interested to know why you think Piercing is shit