What's new

Question - Ravenous A plea to fix Ravenous Mileena. *Detailed Breakdown*

Do you agree that Ravenous Mileena needs to be fixed?

• Yes, she has issues that needs to be repaired.

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • No, she is fine.

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I am creating this thread to bring to light the problems associated with this variation. It is to bring to light some very real issues this variation has and why it cannot be used competively in the current meta of MKX. It is not to bitch, it is not to moan, it is to educate and hopefully bring about some positive change.

First of all, Piercing is pretty much the only Mileena variation that matters competitively. This is sad and defeats the entire purpose of the variation system. As someone who started out with piercing, then on to Ravenous, I have to say I love the potential of the variation, but it definitely does not feel complete.

Lets look at Ravenous's tools.
Here is a pro and con chart comparing the gifts of Ravenous along with their cons.

Now lets breakdown those tools.

As you can see above, we are given two very good tools in high and low pounce. These are the main tools of the variation, however as they are currently designed, I do not believe they are working as intended. The high and low pounce both do 16% damage on a naked hit, the high pounce is a mid while the low pounce is a true low.

High pounce is a comboable mid pounce that will connect on hit from strings, or tick on block. It is great for reversing positions mid combo after a roll and is her go to damage ender if she wants to switch sides. She can buffer it on to any cancellable string to extend it.

The problem is that the high pounce while safe against almost the entire cast, ends her pressure on block. Often times leaving her at more disadvantage then her cancellable strings on her own. To give you an example of this, look at her b12 string. B12 is a really good advancing mid that mileena can use in the neutral. If she does naked b12 she is left at -5, if she does B12~high pounce she is now left at -7. Another good example is F12b4~high pounce. F12b4 leaves her at -4 while F12b4 high pounce leaves her at -7. Seeing as the opponent can block high or low against this option, Mileena never really gains anything from it on a block string, in fact, she loses.

Low pounce is her pseudo overhead. This command grab will only connect on naked and crouching block, and it will NOT connect while an opponent is in hitstun. Basically, you have to ensure the opponent stays blocking in order for this move to connect, or they need to already be in a juggle state. Any tick throw from d1, d3, and d4 CANNOT BE COUNTER POKED, which is a very powerful conditioning tool.

Low pounce sounds amazing on paper, but the tools this variation possesses makes it very hard to setup and take advantage of. She has ONE string that possesses a low pounce mixup: 21U4. She can tick 2~low pounce or she can do 21 for a high low. If she ticks 2~low pounce she can catch someone waiting to block the low of the string. The only problem is, this is never confirmable for me the user, and if the opponent wants to blow me up for it, they can read the buffer block standing also covering the 2~ex overhead mixup. The low grab would whiff and I would be at -26 and full combo punishable. The other problem with this, is her 2 is a true high. This means that if I buffer in 2~lowpounce, and the opponent is crouching to begin with I just get 2 which whiffs and I am left standing in the wind. Seeing as off a jump in, Mileena has no true overhead threat other than EX Roll, many players smartly crouch block to cover the f4, if I buffer 2~low pounce I just get a standing 2. I have to then start throwing out JIP Low Pounce to condition a low pounce/F4 mixup both of which leave me dead if thrown out with an option select.

The only other viable uses for the low pounce tick is off her down pokes, but once again, due to it not connecting on hit, it's a wild gamble to take. For instance, lets say I am conditioning an opponent with my low pokes and f4. I finally go for my D3~low pounce tick,however my d3 connects, my low pounce now whiffs and I am full combo punished. If my opponent starts expecting it, they will start standing blocking after the d3 on block effectively removing the threat of the pounce, but opening them up to further poke abusal. That's pretty much the meta with low pounce, but its always a wild gamble to take considering you will be -10 on block or -26 on whiff.

Here is a full list of Mileenas possible tick situations with low pounce:

All of those strings with the exception of 2~lowpounce can all universally be covered by simply stand blocking after the lows. If F12~low pounce ticked, she would have a viable mid low pounce mixup and would open up her game. As it stands however, a low pounce would only connect after a blocked D4 and the opponent has no reason to not stand up after the f4 and start their pressure.

THE B12 1+2 Bug
B12~1+2 is currently borked. I do not believe this string is working as intended. It is almost impossible to finish combos with due to the pounce grab portion of it not connecting when it does easily in piercing. It's not an issue of B12's range as both of those hits connect, it has everything to do with the pounce portion having a very poor active hitbox. It needs to be fixed to be in line with piercings B12~1+2 to be useful.

Basically, with some extensive time with the variation, I have determined that Ravenous Mileena needs her holes fixed. Some potential fixes for Ravenous Mileena imo would be as follows:
1. Make F12~low pounce a true tick. This will give her a true string mixup and make opponents fear the pounce. It also seperates her from piercing because it gives her an entirely new mixup not dependent entirely on EX roll that would net her 16% and a HKD. This change also beefs up her oki game tremendously in ravenous and helps her keep momentum on her side. F12 on it's own is hella negative as well and if the opponent guesses right she is full combo punished.

2. Fix B12 1+2 hitbox so the 1+2 actually connects during longer combo sequences. As it stands right now I have to sacrifice about 8% damage to land this mid screen. Great for a brutality ender, but not practical for ending my combos.

3. Make the High Pounce slightly less negative on block. Let me use this as a mixup tool on the end of my strings. according to her string data above, a sweet spot of -4 on block would allow me to use it as a useable mixup while leaving me in the same negative positions as most of her strings on block would be anyways. This gives me a viable use for the move and would force opponents to perhaps block *JUST* a little while longer.

4. Make 2 a universal mid so 2~low tick becomes viable. This would give her a quick punishing mid, along with a another low pounce mixup.

Conclusion

I dont feel as though Ravenous Mileena is "bad" I just don't feel like she was finished. The purpose of this thread was not to cry for buffs, it was to simply point out her massive flaws. The great thing is she doesn't need extra moves, more armor, or anything drastic, she simply just needs a couple massive canyon hole to be filled. I feel with the changes above, or anything close to those changes Ravenous Mileena can actually compete.

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment below.

@Mr. Mileena
@JDE
@1man3letters
@Sultani
@All Other Mileena Mains.

Last edited:

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I agree 100% with you. IMO those fixes would make Ravenous completely viable, I still would like more range on her B12, maybe not as much as in Piercing, but the range of it in Ravenous is ass.

I agree with them making the hitbox for her biting string have more range as it does in piercing and possibly give her the low sais blast to all variations and she should be fine. Ethereal should also have a complete string for B2B1 + 23 and id say each variation is viable. Piercing needs nothing extra

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I agree with them making the hitbox for her biting string have more range as it does in piercing and possibly give her the low sais blast to all variations and she should be fine. Ethereal should also have a complete string for B2B1 + 23 and id say each variation is viable. Piercing needs nothing extra
Ethereal needs a whole change on her teleports, IMO for it to be good.

I wont even break down Ethereal currently. That variation is just fucked at the moment. This one is at least salvageable.
I've actually won a lot of matches with this variation. Only pick it if your opponent isn't a grabbler or has ground pounds. She's grat against zonners like shinnok or jacqui.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Geeze, I don't know which is more tedious. Reading the OP or doing my tax returns. I'll agree that Ravenous needs something more to it though. I don't play Mileena, but when I play against her I often wonder what Ravenous brings to the table over Piercing.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
I agree with part of what you're saying (some fixes, not all of them), but to say that it's "not competitive" is a bit ridiculous. That's reaching. That is false. I've seen like 4 or 5 Mileena players use this variation & do well. As a matter of fact, Saltface was the last person who just missed Top 8 with this variation. A lot of them have actually gotten further with this variation than they have with Piercing.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I agree with part of what you're saying (some fixes, not all of them), but to say that it's "not competitive" is a bit ridiculous. That's reaching. That is false. I've seen like 4 or 5 Mileena players use this variation & do well. As a matter of fact, Saltface was the last person who just missed Top 8 with this variation. A lot of them have actually gotten further with this variation than they have with Piercing.
Saltface could probably make top 8 with with any character he wanted.

Also, who knows the Ravenous matchup at a high level yet? It's hardly ever seen. As I wrote in the OP, I like Ravenous, I just don't think it was finished/they messed up on a couple of things with it.

If you can block piercings mixups, you can block ravenous's mixups. The one true advantage Ravenous really gets over piercing is the fact that you can't ever safely check mileenas pokes. Everything else she can do in Piercing better, for more damage, and more range.

I've actually won a lot of matches with this variation. Only pick it if your opponent isn't a grabbler or has ground pounds. She's grat against zonners like shinnok or jacqui.
Ethereal is fucked against Full-Auto Jacqui, lol. Though Ravenous might possibly be the strongest variation in that matchup.

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
I agree also , i always was anticipated to use this variation, but got bummed on how it actually works out, the variation has only 3 moves unique to it like wtf ? 3? Thats shit , piercing has 10000000 more moves then any other varition she has , and to add it has good mix ups, i wish ravenous had more moves to mix up & can punish better , cause i wanna bite a bitchs face off with other strings other then 12 1+2

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Saltface could probably make top 8 with with any character he wanted.

Also, who knows the Ravenous matchup at a high level yet? It's hardly ever seen. As I wrote in the OP, I like Ravenous, I just don't think it was finished/they messed up on a couple of things with it.

If you can block piercings mixups, you can block ravenous's mixups. The one true advantage Ravenous really gets over piercing is the fact that you can't ever safely check mileenas pokes. Everything else she can do in Piercing better, for more damage, and more range.
TBH, I would like the bugs to be fixed & it would be nice to tick from it some (123 & F12B4) too.

I only disagree with you saying that it's not viable. It's still a decent variation. She doesn't get as much as mixups from it, but she does get more from raw damage (36% no meter average). This is where the ticking becomes a problem, since she can't do it effectively (as of right now). The low pounce, although it needs to be fixed, she still can use it for an overhead (theoretically it's seeable, but gameplay wise, there's a lot going on). She still maintains her okizeme from it from a hard knockdown.

But yeah, if all of this gets fixed, then it will be very strong for her.

Last edited:

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Let me point out a few things.

1. Let's not get "buffs" and "fixes" confused. What you are asking for are buffs. A fix implies one can say she has a problem with absolute certainty. I wouldn't trust anyone in this community saying that.

2. The notion that Piercing is her only competitively viable variation is ridiculous. Personally, I'd tell you both of those variations can be interchangeable given how similar they are to each other as well as sharing the same weakness. However, what I say doesn't matter since we clearly see Saltface doing work with...Ravenous...in tournament.

3. Low Pounce never switches sides when fully extended. Leaving off the last hit will switch sides which actually leaves you across the screen (great in some matchups)

4. Ravenous gets more damage in certain situations. For example, an Ex-Roll starter actually breaks 30% barrier (32% I believe).

5. You're missing a few tick throw options but that has more to do with my OCD then your post.

6. I'm inclined to agree with you when you say Ravenous might not have panned out as originally designed (we may be totally wrong about this). Pre-launch, we had designers say that Ravenous would end up being the more mix-up heavy variation. However, we can see the mix-up game is the same across the board (obviously leaving out Ethereal).

With that said, you basically want Ravenous to be able to compete. She can. The proof is over in Virginia.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
TBH, I would like the bugs to be fixed & it would be nice to tick from it some (123 & F12B4) too.

I only disagree with you saying that it's not viable. It's still a decent variation. She doesn't get as much as mixups from it, but she does get more from raw damage (36% no meter average). This is where the ticking becomes a problem, since she can't do it effectively (as of right now). The low pounce, although it needs to be fixed, she still can use it for an overhead (theoretically it's seeable, but gameplay wise, there's a lot going on). She still maintains her okizeme from it from a hard knockdown.

But yeah, if all of this gets fixed, then it will be very strong for her.
1. She has no okizeme from the low pounce or high pounce other than a hkd. The pounce does not grant enough advantage for any followups to be guaranteed.

2. She actually has less damage than Piercing unless I am doing the wrong BNB's. B12~roll B3~teleport air sai F24 High Pounce = 33%
Piercing gets 35%.

3. She currently has the exact same mixups as Piercing except for her pokes and 2~low pounce.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Let me point out a few things.

1. Let's not get "buffs" and "fixes" confused. What you are asking for are buffs. A fix implies one can say she has a problem with absolute certainty. I wouldn't trust anyone in this community saying that.

2. The notion that Piercing is her only competitively viable variation is ridiculous. Personally, I'd tell you both of those variations can be interchangeable given how similar they are to each other as well as sharing the same weakness. However, what I say doesn't matter since we clearly see Saltface doing work with...Ravenous...in tournament.

3. Low Pounce never switches sides when fully extended. Leaving off the last hit will switch sides which actually leaves you across the screen (great in some matchups)

4. Ravenous gets more damage in certain situations. For example, an Ex-Roll starter actually breaks 30% barrier (32% I believe).

5. You're missing a few tick throw options but that has more to do with my OCD then your post.

6. I'm inclined to agree with you when you say Ravenous might not have panned out as originally designed (we may be totally wrong about this). Pre-launch, we had designers say that Ravenous would end up being the more mix-up heavy variation. However, we can see the mix-up game is the same across the board (obviously leaving out Ethereal).

With that said, you basically want Ravenous to be able to compete. She can. The proof is over in Virginia.
1) She has no viable tick throw setups. That's not a buff, that's a fix. I highly doubt they intended to give her a low pounce with no reliable way of mixing an opponent up with it. The 1+2 in B12 1+2 is a fix. I am humping my opponents face and it wont land in ravenous.

2) Why use Ravenous over piercing? Piercing is currently her best and most viable competitive variation with little reason to ever use ravenous over it.

3) When in a combo, you can do the high pounce enders if you want to stay on the side you ball rolled on, or you can use the low pounce version if you want to switch to the other side. I know it's confusing because the low pounce technically doesn't switch sides, the ball roll does, the version of the pounce you end with will dictate whether you are on the side you started from (pre roll) or ended on (post roll). Does that make sense?

4) Other than Ex Roll, where does Ravenous outdo piercings damage?

5) I picked the main ones. Doesn't matter if I missed any others since they are all highs or mids into no mixup anyways :p

6) Nope, I think they definitely either accidently rushed it, or it was too good at one point and the over nerfed it. Who knows, but as it stands right now, it needs to be fixed :p

Its worse than that, the high pounce is actually very negative on hit (if you do all 3 parts) and punishable by several characters wakeup attacks. Basically, if you want to use high pounce to toss someone back into the corner (the main reason to use it to switch sides) you are better off with other combo enders... available in piercing.

Unless a recent patch changed stuff on me.

Last edited:

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
1) She has no viable tick throw setups. That's not a buff, that's a fix.

2) Why use Ravenous over piercing? Piercing is currently her best and most viable competitive variation with little reason to ever use ravenous over it.

3) When in a combo, you can do the high pounce enders if you want to stay on the side you ball rolled on, or you can use the low pounce version if you want to switch to the other side. I know it's confusing because the low pounce technically doesn't switch sides, the ball roll does, the version of the pounce you end with will dictate whether you are on the side you started from (pre roll) or ended on (post roll). Does that make sense?

4) Other than Ex Roll, where does Ravenous outdo piercings damage?

5) I picked the main ones. Doesn't matter if I missed any others since they are all highs or mids into no mixup anyways :p

6) Nope, I think they definitely either accidently rushed it, or it was too good at one point and the over nerfed it. Who knows, but as it stands right now, it needs to be fixed :p
1. You're implying the designers wanted the variation to be tick-throw oriented. If you have a quote, please show. Otherwise, it's purely a buff.

2. Why use either over the other? It's purely preference. I feel that the variations play exactly the same way with differences fullscreen and up close. You said it yourself. If you can block Piercing mixups, you can block Ravenous mixups. Therefore, they can't be too different. You make subtle changes with the way you play whether you you have a better B1 or Low Pounce. Besides that, the gameplan is the same.

3. ...I always stick with pre-roll position when looking at pounce enders.

4. Don't know. That's just one I remember. I'd argue that's pretty significant given how much of a great opener Ex-Roll is.

5. GOOD!

6. ...buffed...you mean.