What's new

A new age of Mortal Kombat players

wth do good testers have to do with an end-users fundamentals...
A better question might be, how do good testers not contribute to balancing a game and therefore give players a guide on how to play in the form of tutorials and other aids?

The one thing I would agree on is, tutorials can't teach you how to deal with mind games and setups. But fundamentals along with practice have the possibility to negate much of this. Matches really become an interplay though between making reads, having fundamentals and execution control.

Last edited:

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
In reply to everyone I'll revert you back, If you WANT to be good you'll dedicate yourself to learning the game no matter what tools the game hands you end of.
What if you don't want to be good ? Being good means dedicating 3-4 hours at least everyday. Not everyone takes it that seriously.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
What if you don't want to be good ? Being good means dedicating 3-4 hours at least everyday. Not everyone takes it that seriously.
There's nothing wrong with that, at no point did I say you had to slave yourself to games, but if you want to be really good that's what it takes alot of time and practice however possible, I'm just saying that you can make practice mode alot better and that'll be great especially for the dedicated people so they can look into tech, but as far as casual players go it wont help them be good, and no where near as good as most players on the site are.

HammerZeit88

Just some guy searching for a main
I hope this game has a lot of tools to help newbies level up. I have never had anyone to practice with off line in MK9 and INJ, but have always wanted to travel to tournaments but haven't cause I know I suck at both games. I want that to change in MKX so I can motivate myself to travel for a tournament or 2.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Lets just say that they are lucky that there is a command list, back in the MK1-3 days you'd had to learn the combos by yourself.
Depends. Some cabinets had special inputs listed on the marquee, especially Capcom games. I learned Nightwolf's specials from marquee art on the UMK3 machine at the local bowling alley. Subscribing to gaming magazines helped, but the Boon-esque hype wasn't up for public debate outside of your friends, so it was a lot more believable.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Depends. Some cabinets had special inputs listed on the marquee, especially Capcom games. I learned Nightwolf's specials from marquee art on the UMK3 machine at the local bowling alley. Subscribing to gaming magazines helped, but the Boon-esque hype wasn't up for public debate outside of your friends, so it was a lot more believable.
Yeah I guess, I did see those moves on the cover of those Arcade machines. If you bought the game on the SNES or Sega Genesis you had teh booklet with all the moves. I used to have the KI booklet when I got teh KI SNES bundle back in 95'

Back in my day, we didn't have no "Mortal Kombat", we had to go outside with sticks and fatally stab each other to death ourselves!

But yeah, there's always going to be new talent showing with every new game.

Some of the really good Injustice players are going to be slow to move over since they don't want to put too much attention away from the game they've had so much success in the past year.

And other people who weren't that good in Injustice may finally find their stride in Mortal Kombat X.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I'm gonna play all quan chi exclusively till evo. Then I will decide if I want to continue with him as my main. Unless he's a complete shitter lol

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
I thought that this was a troll thread about people who RQ from previous games turning over a new leaf and starting a new age of reputation in the new game.Because history always repeats itself in fighting games.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Welcome

Yeah they should copy TTT2 combo setting the recording Multiple CPU's and setting probability one one which ones you want more Frequent
and too Record Reversals for AI would be sweet, other that and maybe show Hitbox's thats the perfect Practice for me if they carry everything over from Injustice
And all new and old players will be fine

I think create a combo Challenge should be in it, like for example i do some sick Sub Combo hard to do, you can DL it and try to do it your self
and even an Online Database where you can dl the best ones User created from the Server be sick (That could limited depending on how simple or Complex there Combo system is, if theres dash cancel specific combo's then it be sweet,,,,,,,,, also implies to Block strings and Tech)
So it will really level up new people more efficiently and practically

Like i said Before i think one of the mods should hit up a general discussion thread to help mad sprawl of threads

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Fundamentals tutorial? Its called...playing a lot, against other good players. You cant learn that with a tutorial
So they shouldn't throw in an in depth tutorial? Man I don't know... Killer Instinct's dojo mode is fucking awesome for drawing in people who want to play the game and don't know how to. The faster we know more about the game/get better at the game... the better the tournaments will be.

MisterSpyker

The 6'4 King
I'm all for having a more alive MK scene, but I hate playing idiots who memorized one combo and keep trying to do it, instead of looking at the game as the whole...
Also, I absolutely love the creativity of making up combos, so I'm not interested in this... if some1 wants to learn how to play the game, they will, and it won't be because a tutorial holds their hand. I just want a general tutorial that explains how performing combos and juggles work, for the less experienced players to play the game in a funner way than just special moves, x rays and the dial-a combos.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I'm all for having a more alive MK scene, but I hate playing idiots who memorized one combo and keep trying to do it, instead of looking at the game as the whole...
Also, I absolutely love the creativity of making up combos, so I'm not interested in this... if some1 wants to learn how to play the game, they will, and it won't be because a tutorial holds their hand. I just want a general tutorial that explains how performing combos and juggles work, for the less experienced players to play the game in a funner way than just special moves, x rays and the dial-a combos.
THIS AND ALL THIS, this is what i'm saying, the type of guys who thinks knowing a combo can win them games, then they just get beat by people who punish their mistakes and block all their advances and punish with small strings till they get the win.

trufenix

bye felicia
THIS AND ALL THIS, this is what i'm saying, the type of guys who thinks knowing a combo can win them games, then they just get beat by people who punish their mistakes and block all their advances and punish with small strings till they get the win.
A sound tutorial will speed up the process for the willing, but just including one isn't going to change the fact that some people just don't care about getting better.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
I felt like the tutorial for MK9 was decent, but yea, they could of added more. I'm pretty sure the tutorial even taught you how to anti air, but no one used it online lol.

I think they should cover more advanced topics. They should teach you how to anti air, whiff punish, and some basic bnb's. I feel like the community would level up extremely quickly. Also, I've been playing MK games on and off since 93'. Granted I was like 8-9 years old at the time I played MKII. Looking back, I probably shouldn't have been able to play that game lol. I remember playing on a MKII cabinet at a store here when I was a child and I button mashed some guy. Not only did he lose, but he lost his shit on me. Cursed at me and shit lol. Then I got MKII for Genesis and my friends and I would share the fatalities with one another and teach the special moves. We thought we were badasses. Good times.

Last edited:
thread re-name "new age of scrubs"
Hahaha, no one can deny that there will be always be players who want an easy victory. However pride, entitlement and arrogance from good players should be looked down upon. Humility speaks volumes... especially in a competitive setting.

ruff321

Noob
Let newbies be newbies. If you're not willing to put in time and effort into the game then get pulverized for all I care