What's new

Guide - Assassin A Guide to understanding Assassin

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending

Since kitana already has a guide for Royal storm (http://testyourmight.com/threads/rm-khaotiks-royal-storm-kitana-guide-to-surviving-in-mkx.55053/) and Mournful (http://testyourmight.com/threads/beginners-guide-to-glaive-storming.57786/). I will simply list all the tools she in assassin in order to make use of them since khaotik's guide lists important things such as her strings/ect.

Princess Parry:
This move is a 7 frame parry which is a very strong defensive tool used to catch advancing normals. It also is good for stopping frame traps and doesn't take any chip damage. This is also very good for characters like takeda who can harrass you midscreen with whip normals. This move does decent damage and when you have sharpen active it does more damage.

Parry loses too
  • Jump in attacks
  • Lows
  • Airborne moves (such as airborne leap attacks)
Sharpen:
Since this move got buffed it has been way more useful and practical. This allows kitana to have a damage buff to her moves after she finishes combos in throat slice/Run. While her combos normally do 30 to 33% meter less with sharpen out they can go up to 40 to 45% midscreen and up to 50 to 55% in the corner. She also gets more chip/nh damage on fan normals. While you have sharpen out simply use f+11 instead of f+33 or f+4,3 in combos to get the damage boost.

Ex Sharpen:
This move is amazing especially when coupled in with 2,1. Ex sharpen is sharpen active a lot longer and twice the speed. Doing 2,1 into ex sharpen has become +6 on block so it's possible to jail with d+3 or frame trap with b+1,4 into a full combo. This is something you really should save your meter for especially when applying pressure.

Run(Assassin strike):
This is a very good combo ender and has and interesting application in neutral,This move is very helpful for punishing very laggy moves such as scorpion's up minion,Tanya's fireball depending on the distance, tremors uprock, sektor's up missles to keep them on their toes and not trade with fans. It also has a weird property where it beats slides.

Ex Run:
This is the armored version of run, it's fully armored and you want to use this as anti-zoning tool. It has one hit of armor and the duration lasts the full time until on block. When you have sharpen out, Regular run gets the second stab ex run does.

Lift:
This is the exact same lift that is in mournful, It's extremely good as an anti jump in and scales less harder then royal storms does. This should only be done on a good read for an anti-air other then that it's just basically combo filler. Also Ex lift is useless.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some extra stuff In this guide

Frame traps
:
  • 2,1 into d+3, parry
  • 2,1 ex sharpen d+3/b+1,4
  • Strings into Ex Fan into d+1
  • d+1, fan
Strong staggerable strings, good for throw mixups
  • f+22u+4
  • b+1,4,3
  • f+1,1,2
Proper mixups (she really doesn't have any lol)
  • JIP float njp/b+3/throw/b+2/X-ray ( The infamous "Float" mixups)
  • b+1,4/X-ray
  • f+33,2/X-ray
  • 2,1 ex sharpen b+2/b+3 (This is for more or less when your opponent respects your frame traps)

2lazy2tagpplsry xoxo

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Only thing I wanna correct is the damage part. Kitana can do up to 47% meterless midscreen and 61% 1 bar in the corner once sharpen is active. The 47% is much easier tho. The 61% can be done with practice, but the easier version does 59%. Still damaging af tho lol

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Is there an consensus on which variation for Kitana is the best right now like there is for other characters? And where is the list for all her relevant assassin bnbs?

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Is there an consensus on which variation for Kitana is the best right now like there is for other characters? And where is the list for all her relevant assassin bnbs?
RS is still her but Assassin isn't far behind. Her assassin bnbs are still the same like they've always been. You can just set up sharpen after a knockdown much easier now or do frame traps into ex sharpen to score more damage.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
I personally believe Assassin and royal storm are the same now but both play differently (maybe royal storm is a little bit better). As xkhaotic said, her bnbs didn't change. B+1,4 xx Lift xx ex sharpen into f+11 fan and just replace some of the combo filler with f+11 for more damage.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Appreciate the guide, I'm finally picking her up after looking at her for the past year. I have 2 questions, does anyone have her optimised combos post patch, and does ex sharpen link on hit?

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
How in gods green netherrealm are we supposed to connect anything after an exfan? the d1 timing seems so strict that its random, and everything else just isnt consistent.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Any tips on getting it? Earlier than I think? later? is it different off of different starters?
It took me ages too and I still only get it 8/10 times or so The window is REALLY tight and it took me ages Unfortunately it is just practice. The cancel window is longer than you think it is, but shorter than you are trying when you realize this. Button mashing does not really work.

My main tip is to practice it for short periods, practice something else, then go back to it. You will just keep dropping it and your timing will get worse if you keep beating your head against a wall with it all in one go.

I'm getting better and better at it as time goes on.

evolution07

It's too soon to get cocky.
It took me ages too and I still only get it 8/10 times or so The window is REALLY tight and it took me ages Unfortunately it is just practice. The cancel window is longer than you think it is, but shorter than you are trying when you realize this. Button mashing does not really work.

My main tip is to practice it for short periods, practice something else, then go back to it. You will just keep dropping it and your timing will get worse if you keep beating your head against a wall with it all in one go.

I'm getting better and better at it as time goes on.
This helps actually. Practicing something new at first is extremely hard, but after a while you'll start getting it with regular intervals. Once you do, taking breaks helps to even things out.

I can get this a bit more consistently by timing the f11 input towards the end of the ex fan animation and it usually works. The same goes for her alternate b14 ex fan combo into run cancel that I've been practicing. It's all a one frame link and ur timing has to be on point.

With enough practice and timing of when things should come out, it'll start happening naturally that you'll laugh at how hard it used to be.