What's new

General/Other - Goro A candid discussion about the Shokan prince.

Audit

Falls down too much
I m gonna have to lab that, although i dont think its true, since not even wake up X-RAYS cannot be done. Perhaps you are doing it wrong?
I just labbed it and I was wrong. The D2, Ground Pound is airtight. :( Well, I get to charge telestomp and naked ground pounds on reaction for punish, so I guess it's a little fair. My bad, Carry on.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
His damage output seems to be low, if you dont start a combo with b12u2, probably cause of the many hits of pw. More hits, more scaling.
I've said it before and i'll say it again, Goro's combo damage output isn't low.

30-40% off of one bar is average when you take the entire cast's average one bar damage potential into account.

He can't pull off whacky shit like Flame Fist 65% corner BNBs but his damage isn't anything to laugh at.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
The bottom line is that grappler/brawler types are the absolute LAST characters that should be getting jumped in on. Ever. Period. From Zangief protecting Russian skies to Solomon Grundy taking jumpers to the grave, it's just a fucking thing. It is a known thing. You make a grappler, you make sure he can't get jumped on. Hell, even Hugo, the biggest fucking target ever in a fighting game, whose head covers the goddamn health bars, can anti-air the shit out of anyone who tries to jump kick his goofy fucking face.

Goro fucking sucks. I was so hype to main him and now I'm in character crisis mode with this game because all you have to do is jump at his stupid ass. Make his anti-air capabilities as terrifying as they should be given the type of character he is, and maybe he'll be worth it. As it stands I'm inclined to agree with Yomi about his placement and totally fucking bummed about it.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I've said it before and i'll say it again, Goro's combo damage output isn't low.

30-40% off of one bar is average when you take the entire cast's average one bar damage potential into account.

He can't pull off whacky shit like Flame Fist 65% corner BNBs but his damage isn't anything to laugh at.
I meant meterless man. His meterless damage is low and thats a fact. Only by using b12u2 string he can pull off up to 33% dmg without meter.

His one bar and two bar combos are great.

Just a shame the best non-meter launcher is not overhead or low.
I meant meterless man. His meterless damage is low and thats a fact. Only by using b12u2 string he can pull off up to 33% dmg without meter.

His one bar and two bar combos are great.
In a corner, doesn't 3 D3 combo into b12u2 and lead to massive damage with strict input? It's the best extra option for meterless I can think of wihtout starting with b1.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
3D3 to b12u2 is NEVER worth it for me. If that U2 misses... oh man...

Still holding out for that surprise July 7 buff. Regardless, too late to not play Goro at Evo. So I'll see you all at the losers bracket...

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Just a shame the best non-meter launcher is not overhead or low.

In a corner, doesn't 3 D3 combo into b12u2 and lead to massive damage with strict input? It's the best extra option for meterless I can think of wihtout starting with b1.
Its not that massive damage. IIRC, its around 33 or 35% without the use of meter.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Always sensible posts Espio. He does suffer in a few areas especially in comparison to other characters,
he only has 1 launching string (which whiffs the 3rd hit on many situations),
only one universal launching special ex pw where some characters have 2 or 3 special launchers and strings.
not really many mix ups you can you can either b3 into pw or something else or 2,1 for an overhead or some f3 into something as you said, where other characters have high low mix up\s all in one string leading to combos making them more difficult to block properly. (yea we have overhead, that leads to a low but it doesnt really lead to much else)
It\s not really that Goro is bad by any means, its just that most other people are better in many areas where it counts.

Anyways not trying to be a downer, just my 2 cents.
Also a solid anti air to make people more afraid to hop around all day would help him enormously, in air people screw up PW catching them which is really his only counter to jump ins and loses track of opponents.

Last edited:
I'm going to find Ed Boon and ask him what their goal was when they designed Goro, because right now it doesn't make any sense.