What's new

General/Other - Goro A candid discussion about the Shokan prince.

Espio

Kokomo
Hey there folks. I've been mostly quiet trying to just play, learn and develop my game as a Goro player. There are a lot of things I could be doing better with Goro and a lot of things I need to do as i strive to improve as a player. This is not a salty thread or one about unproductive complaints, but one that seeks to have a dialogue about Goro as a character and although I only play Tigrar Fury, my concerns apply to Goro as a whole.

WARNING: This is a long post.

Goro is a character that I feel like I'd classify as a footsies/rushdown/oki/grappler hybrid.

Goro has quite a few good traits going for him in his current state: a safe, two hit, fast advancing armored launching special that leads to decent damage and really good corner carry known as punchwalk. Both versions ex and regular are safe on block at minus five (ak.a. safe) and do good chip damage on block.

Forward 3 is a 16 frame long ranged, safe advancing normal that leads to over 30%. This normal is great for whiff punishing and imposing your will at relatively far out ranges.

Back 1,2,1, is a fast mid hitting string that is plus two on block and allows for pressure shenanigans.

Down 1, down 3, and down 4 are a great combination of low pokes that are fast and reasonably safe on block.

Forward 4 is an advancing overhead that is neutral on block and combos in the corner.

Command grab is a very fast special that can punish many things on block and is great for tick throws off of low pokes and back 3.

He has a thirteen frame low starter that can be cancelled into punchwalk as well.

The character is incredibly safe and has plus frames on quite a few of his strings that are good to use in setting up throw mix ups, punchwalk cancels and so forth.

What I wanted to start by highlighting is that at least in my view, the reason why he has problems has nothing to do with him being slow because he has fast mids, a fast low, good low pokes, super quick command grab, fast, safe armored launchers etc.

In my view Goro's design is very much out of whack. He's supposed to be a strong oki/pressure/rushdown grappler yet most of his specials do the opposite of what he's supposed to do. After Goro telestomps someone, even on hit he walks backwards off of them, giving them space to breath.

The risk/reward for telestomp is pretty meh in general, you get 10% and give the opponent breathing room afterwards. The start up is pretty slow so you're not really counterzoning with it unless you make a hard read and because it's so telegraphed, some characters can still avoid it after whiffing a projectile. This is not even getting into the fact that it's ridiculously negative on whiff to the point that many characters can make it whiff than run up and full combo punish you for using this move.

Command grab, he throws the opponent far away (yes I know it got buffed, but bear with me). Punchwalk knocks people far away as well. The point is, Goro is almost hurting himself when he scores a hit and that should not be the case for him or any other character.

Kitana has special enders that send the opponent away, but it makes sense for her character design since she's more focused on zoning and keeping the opponent at a distance.

Now, this might not be as big of a deal if Goro had proper mobility. Why is a character that is geared towards pokes, oki, pressure etc have such a slow forward walk speed? Why is his run so slow and clunky?

This game puts emphasis on the run mechanic and movement, mobility is the king of this game and when you realize that Goro's walk and run speeds in concert with his specials that push the opponent away work to hurt him immensely.

Goro's damage, frame traps and etc are fair, honest and not over the top, certainly not enough to justify bad movement and attacks that in general function against the best interests of his character design.

Goro's one meterless launcher into damage has an armorable gap and whiffs often, meaning he has to invest more meter for damage than someone else might have to because of the need for meter to get consistent damage. This is a problem because meter is so important and the string is not functioning properly. If Goro didn't have to use meter to get bigger damage, that would also be huge and it would only require a simple adjustment, nothing over the top, too good or too strong, just fixing what he currently has in his toolkit.

Lastly and this is an issue that plagues a lot of the cast, but anti-air. If Goro could blow people up hard for jumping and force his opponent to actually fight him on the ground, that would be a huge boon for him. It's ironic to think that weakening the effectiveness of jumping at Goro would lead to him jumping up the tier list. Goro can do work on the ground, he just needs to be able to make them scared to go airborne.

Goro is a unique, fun character that doesn't play like many others on the roster. I'm hopeful that some of the lesser used characters that have unique playstyles, not just Goro get the love they need. Goro is very close to being a serviceable mid tier, he just needs logical things that make sense to the character. Diversity is the spice of life and this also holds true for fighting games as well.

I've been using him at locals and have every intention of using him at upcoming majors regardless, but it is my hope that the flaws and strengths of this character are looked at candidly and honestly. Every character should have weaknesses, but their weaknesses should be justifiable and make sense for the character.

He has good tools, he just needs for all of his tools to work in concert to create a cohesive, sensible character as a whole and to be treated fairly, his good tools are not so overbearing that he should not have good mobility or have his specials work against him.

Stronger anti-air encourages players with better spacing, fundamentals and reads to shine and I think with that in mind, everyone wins.

Thanks for taking the time to read this for those who did.

Juffalo

Noob
He's definitely my favorite character. I was a little disappointed with the last patch as it didn't really address any of his real issues. Hoping for the bane treatment in a post EVO patch. Until then I invite all shokan to join me in utizing the "my character is the worst in the game" option select after every loss.

Reactions: mkl

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
Hey there folks. I've been mostly quiet trying to just play, learn and develop my game as a Goro player. There are a lot of things I could be doing better with Goro and a lot of things I need to do as i strive to improve as a player. This is not a salty thread or one about unproductive complaints, but one that seeks to have a dialogue about Goro as a character and although I only play Tigrar Fury, my concerns apply to Goro as a whole.

Goro is a character that I feel like I'd classify as a footsies/rushdown/oki/grappler hybrid.

Goro has quite a few good traits going for him in his current state: a safe, two hit, fast advancing armored launching special that leads to decent damage and really good corner carry known as punchwalk. Both versions ex and regular are safe on block at minus five (ak.a. safe) and do good chip damage on block.

Forward 3 is a 16 frame long ranged, safe advancing normal that leads to over 30%. This normal is great for whiff punishing and imposing your will at relatively far out ranges.

Back 1,2,1, is a fast mid hitting string that is plus two on block and allows for pressure shenanigans.

Down 1, down 3, and down 4 are a great combination of low pokes that are fast and reasonably safe on block.

Forward 4 is an advancing overhead that is neutral on block and combos in the corner.

Command grab is a very fast special that can punish many things on block and is great for tick throws off of low pokes and back 3.

He has a thirteen frame low starter that can be cancelled into punchwalk as well.

The character is incredibly safe and has plus frames on quite a few of his strings that are good to use in setting up throw mix ups, punchwalk cancels and so forth.

What I wanted to start by highlighting is that at least in my view, the reason why he has problems has nothing to do with him being slow because he has fast mids, a fast low, good low pokes, super quick command grab, fast, safe armored launchers etc.

In my view Goro's design is very much out of whack. He's supposed to be a strong oki/pressure/rushdown grappler yet most of his specials do the opposite of what he's supposed to do. After Goro telestomps someone, even on hit he walks backwards off of them, giving them space to breath.

The risk/reward for telestomp is pretty meh in general, you get 10% and give the opponent breathing room afterwards. The start up is pretty slow so you're not really counterzoning with it unless you make a hard read and because it's so telegraphed, some characters can still avoid it after whiffing a projectile. This is not even getting into the fact that it's ridiculously negative on whiff to the point that many characters can make it whiff than run up and full combo punish you for using this move.

Command grab, he throws the opponent far away (yes I know it got buffed, but bear with me). Punchwalk knocks people far away as well. The point is, Goro is almost hurting himself when he scores a hit and that should not be the case for him or any other character.

Kitana has special enders that send the opponent away, but it makes sense for her character design since she's more focused on zoning and keeping the opponent at a distance.

Now, this might not be as big of a deal if Goro had proper mobility. Why is a character that is geared towards pokes, oki, pressure etc have such a slow forward walk speed? Why is his run so slow and clunky?

This game puts emphasis on the run mechanic and movement, mobility is the king of this game and when you realize that Goro's walk and run speeds in concert with his specials that push the opponent away work to hurt him immensely.

Goro's damage, frame traps and etc are fair, honest and not over the top, certainly not enough to justify bad movement and attacks that in general function against the best interests of his character design.

Goro's one meterless launcher into damage has an armorable gap and whiffs often, meaning he has to invest more meter for damage than someone else might have to because of the need for meter to get consistent damage. This is a problem because meter is so important and the string is not functioning properly. If Goro didn't have to use meter to get bigger damage, that would also be huge and it would only require a simple adjustment, nothing over the top, too good or too strong, just fixing what he currently has in his toolkit.

Lastly and this is an issue that plagues a lot of the cast, but anti-air. If Goro could blow people up hard for jumping and force his opponent to actually fight him on the ground, that would be a huge boon for him. It's ironic to think that weakening the effectiveness of jumping at Goro would lead to him jumping up the tier list. Goro can do work on the ground, he just needs to be able to make them scared to go airborne.

Goro is a unique, fun character that doesn't play like many others on the roster. I'm hopeful that some of the lesser used characters that have unique playstyles, not just Goro get the love they need. Goro is very close to being a serviceable mid tier, he just needs logical things that make sense to the character. Diversity is the spice of life and this also holds true for fighting games as well.

I've been using him at locals and have every intention of using him at upcoming majors regardless, but it is my hope that the flaws and strengths of this character are looked at candidly and honestly. Every character should have weaknesses, but their weaknesses should be justifiable and make sense for the character.

He has good tools, he just needs for all of his tools to work in concert to create a cohesive, sensible character as a whole and to be treated fairly, his good tools are not so overbearing that he should not have good mobility or have his specials work against him.

Stronger anti-air encourages players with better spacing, fundamentals and reads to shine and I think with that in mind, everyone wins.

I agree 100%. Good write up.

If Goro had a GOOD anti-air (EX fang spin is pretty costly, also unreliable against crossups) or better mobility, he would be really solid. I mean, why did Bane, Grundy, & Doomsday have such great dashes... they needed them for their gameplan to work well. Goro is no different.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
I think that some of Goro's issues stem from the developers trying to reconcile his enormous stature and pedigree with the mechanics of the game. Goro has to move like Goro or he's just not believable. This could have been mitigated with some fast advancing specials or command normals, but they chose to go another way. Prerelease, I was really hoping he'd move like Zangief in Ultra: surprisingly agile, with super fast pokes and I gdlk command grab to compensate for his massive hurtbox. Telestomp being easily punished and reacted to is a trade off for it being unblockable I guess. But why he backs up on hit just doesn't make sense. I completely agree with your opinion that he hurts himself by sending the opponent full screen or providing space on hit. I would like to have seen a lot of his specials end in a splat/HKD. He should be like an oppressive force you just can't shake once he gets in.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
@Espio i ve been telling you for quite some time now. GO KUATAN WARRIOR :p.

For real now, i believe that if they buff Goro's uppercut (U1/U2 is fine the way it is, it was designed to be used as an anti cross up method, if it was me i would just increase its active frames a bit), he will be super duper viable.

KW for example has a guaranteed ex tremor after a successful uppercut, AA or not. Thats 26% UNBREAKABLE damage.

As for stomp, i would probably reduce the start up frames of his normal version a bit and make his ex version track better, like DD's ex supernova was in IGAU.

You mentioned his damage. KW can pull off 47% dmg off a jp now, with 1 bar, everywhere on the screen. Thats alot, many of the top tier characters cannot top that.

Fix his stupid hit box issues of his b12u2 string, cause this is getting ridiculous. Even Jason's hit box issues were fixed after the latest patch.

A continuation for his b3 string would be nice as well.

I agree with Gh0sty. They made him slow, cause well, he is freaking huge.

DD was not like that, cause he is DD. That monster literally has everything.

Bottom line, adress his AA issues and his b12u2 hit box issue and the character will be super viable (at least his KW variation).

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
Oooooo Candid, cool.
It's no secret G-Bone is the worst character in the game. His weaknesses HEAVILY out weigh his strengths.

His speed is ass

His jump ins are ass

His anti air is ass

His damage output is mediocre but you have to spend meter almost ALL the time unless your landing raw B12U2s (HA!) or NJ2s.

Anything involving B12U2 is inconsistent/broken. Getting that fixed shouldn't count as a buff.

His D2 is ass (possibly the worst in the game)

Are you facing facing Scorpion, Tanya, Mileena, Takeda, Kung Lao, or Ermac? Good luck not only landing telestomp but not getting punished on reaction by a teleport.

His positives are MB punch walk and Sub Zero existing. Honestly I love Goro and ill always main him, and yes he can win but I've never played such a bad character in any fighting game. It honestly feels like NRS put less time into designing Goro than the other characters.

I know this is whiney and straight forward but the title did say candid :). Good thread.

Last edited:

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
It's no secret G-Bone is the worst character in the game. His weaknesses HEAVILY out weigh his strengths.

His speed is ass
His jump ins are ass
His anti air is ass
His damage output is mediocre but you have to spend meter almost ALL the time unless your landing raw B12U2s (HA!) or NJ2s.
His j4 is really good and his j1 is also very good for cross up jump ins.

His damage output seems to be low, if you dont start a combo with b12u2, probably cause of the many hits of pw. More hits, more scaling.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
He does have a 38% dmg combo with one bar in all variations though, IIRC.

f3xxexpw, rc, b12u2, njp, f3xxSG. I think it deals 38% dmg.

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
He does have a 38% dmg combo with one bar in all variations though, IIRC.

f3xxexpw, rc, b12u2, njp, f3xxSG. I think it deals 38% dmg.
Yea, I'm content with his damage output. I believe that might be his highest bnb you just posted.

I think this post needs to be stickied so that people can read and understand the issues Goro has in a way that isnt whiney and filled with salt :) thanks for this @Espio its exactly what is needed

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
Wow the OP was on point. List your characters strengths first instead of just whining about all his cons. Very good fix post (not even a buff post I cringe when I fight a Goro and his b12u2 wiffs on ME)

Goros a badass. Its just too bad the master of kombat sucks. His weaknesses overshadow his strengths just too much. I started playing goro at release and eventually dropped him because tbh, it gets old dealing with scorpion, kl, ect with goro when i could just switch to week 2 JC or Kano and not feel handicapped anymore. Not saying kano and jc are amazing, but it makes you see just how bad goro is.

The only one ive seen try to seriously use goro was king and even he says goro is in toilet tier below the likes of reptile, jason.....

Audit

Falls down too much
Somehow I quit playing Goro, even though he is super fun and I did reasonably well with him. Going to pick him back up this weekend I think.

@Espio
KW for example has a guaranteed ex tremor after a successful uppercut, AA or not. Thats 26% UNBREAKABLE damage.
I'd like to correct a myth that the KW ground pound is guaranteed against the entire cast, it's not. Lackey F/T can wakeup meterless Charge (B,F+3) and punish Goro any time he tries this because it has free armor at startup. I have to say I haven't tried it after them most recent patch but I don't see why it would change, but take it with a grain of salt. Sorry Goro Mains, you lose options to another bottom 5 character.

edit: Put in the quote I forgot :D

Last edited:

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
B12u2 is a great punishing string against many blocked specials. But still, its hit box is broken and needs to be fixed.
It can be but sometimes it'll drop the last hit for what seems to be no reason at all. A good example I can think of is punishing Mileena's roll. B12U2 works sometimes but once in a while the last punch won't connect which winds up with you getting punished. That's why I've been sticking to 11MBPW for most punishes, it does less damage but it's a more reliable string.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
It can be but sometimes it'll drop the last hit for what seems to be no reason at all. A good example I can think of is punishing Mileena's roll. B12U2 works sometimes but once in a while the last punch won't connect which winds up with you getting punished. That's why I've been sticking to 11MBPW for most punishes, it does less damage but it's a more reliable string.
About punishing Mileena's roll, most people punish it wrong, according to their sayings. I ve posted it in the Goro forum a long time ago. Try it yourself in practice mode.

When you block the roll, just walk slightly forward and input b12u2. You will punish the roll fully and the string will not whiff. Its not the same as it was with her roll in MK9, if you are familiar.

In MK9, once Mileena was on the ground after a blocked roll, she was safe. That is not the case in MKX. She can still get punished even after she is on the ground. She is that minus frames if her roll is blocked.

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
About punishing Mileena's roll, most people punish it wrong, according to their sayings. I ve posted it in the Goro forum a long time ago. Try it yourself in practice mode.

When you block the roll, just walk slightly forward and input b12u2. You will punish the roll fully and the string will not whiff. Its not the same as it was with her roll in MK9, if you are familiar.

In MK9 once Mileena was on the ground after a blocked roll, she was safe. That is not the case in MKX. She can still get punished even after she is on the ground. She is that minus frames if her roll is blocked.
I did not know walking forward after a blocked roll helps with landing B12U2, I'll have to try that thanks.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Somehow I quit playing Goro, even though he is super fun and I did reasonably well with him. Going to pick him back up this weekend I think.

I'd like to correct a myth that the KW ground pound is guaranteed against the entire cast, it's not. Lackey F/T can wakeup meterless Charge (B,F+3) and punish Goro any time he tries this because it has free armor at startup. I have to say I haven't tried it after them most recent patch but I don't see why it would change, but take it with a grain of salt. Sorry Goro Mains, you lose options to another bottom 5 character.

edit: Put in the quote I forgot :D
I m gonna have to lab that, although i dont think its true, since not even wake up X-RAYS cannot be done. Perhaps you are doing it wrong?

Good points in the OP. Goro needs his anti-air options buffed. Goro needs the b12u2 string adjusted. That is all I am asking for. Please NRS: Buff Goro, Fix Goro, Help Goro.

Audit

Falls down too much
@Espio
I m gonna have to lab that, although i dont think its true, since not even wake up X-RAYS cannot be done. Perhaps you are doing it wrong?

I don't think so, but maybe I am, to be fair I didn't test D2, Ground Pound Specifically. When I first started playing Lackey, I made a huge sheet projectiles could be charged through because it has projectile invulnerability and a free hit of armor, that it beat ground pound free was one if the high points. I'll definitely lab it up tonight when I get home from work and make a quick video.

Interesting side note, Goro's ground pound doesn't count as a projectile, but Ermac's ground stomp does.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Grappler archetypes will NEVER be good in NRS games unless they're broken or have strings like Erron Black where the tick throw is just impossible to really react to.

They should of just made him like DD and gave him better freaking strings. It is embarrassing that the King of Kombat has possibly the worst strings in the entire game.

Then again...... maybe he isn't "finished" like Kitana and Kenshi and Shinnok and so on and so forth.... you can only hope.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
I really want F2 to be faster. 12 or 13 frames. Nothing from F2 launches, all of the enders send the opponent full screen on hit and only F21 is cancellable. I don't think it's too much to ask for Goro to have just ONE viable mid starting string.

F3 is awesome but 16 frames is a little on the slow side. And when that is the only viable approaching move he has, it doesn't become too difficult for people to exploit it.

Also, this x1000. For most grapplers, the tradeoff for being slow and lumbering is having good anti-air so that you force the opponent to play a more honest, ground-based game.

Last edited: